⚽ 🔃 The January 2023 Transfer Thread

Looked in the gossip column expecting to see Southampton mentioned with all their targets to get us out of the shit street we are in… nothing!

Perhaps we are keeping things quiet and we will be surprised with a couple of great signings?

Did we sign Wood this morning?

Had a disturbing chat with someone inside the club last night

No one has bought into the new boss - general feeling is we have given up and are gearing up for the championship- thinking is we have replaced one tight fisted owner with another

Basically if there isn’t some significant signings by mid Jan, a lot of agents will be getting calls

Happy New Year

1 Like

Why has no one bought into though?

Not giving him any chance is worse than him failing with opportunity surely?

You can tell watching the games this is true unfortunately. Stinks and is really disappointing, at least give two fcuks and go down trying. Not as if we are doing anything else collectively as you point out!

Perhaps this is why BBC gave Stuart Armstrong the lowest rating I can recall seeing - he is an international ffs, and needs to be playing 90 minutes every week, even with an average team. Being picked as an impact sub in a losing team is not right for him, and he’s probably given up.
I thought before Xmas he would be asking to go in January

Is it just me or ???

A whole lot of Ings is wasted at Villa chatter on Twitter today.
Almost as if an agent is feeding Bots to set up a loan move for him.
I know he iis a streaky scorer but tbh at least is is one player hcdajfu

1 Like

I had lunch in Nantwich today with an old friend whose mate plays golf with Sam Clucas. According to Clucas, Jones failed spectacularly to win over the Stoke dressing room. Apparently the players considered him “very weird”, quite apart from his very strong religious beliefs.

He also said he was surprised Jones had actually accepted the Saints job having fully expected him to stay at Luton.

Saints appointed a manager from a lower league.
A team performing above expectations
The Manager was subject to abuse from day 1.
As he walked to the dugout, fans spat at him, the vitriol was so strong.
That Manager was signed from?
Grimsby Town.
He went on to become assistant manager of England.

The rest was our history.
God Bless Lawrie

2 Likes

Good point. So we can look forward with eager anticipation to relegation this season, followed by four seasons in the Championship with a cup win in 2024 to keep the fans sweet. :+1::+1::+1:

Incidentally, Lawrie joined us as assistant manager, and was promoted to manager four months later. That’s a bit different to the NJ appointment.

1 Like

He was Team Manager Designate and was in full control from the time they started pre-season training.

I take your point, but whatever his designation, it’s still a different situation. Ted stood down himself, and stayed on in an assistant capacity for a few years. I suspect that NJ will shoulder rather more of the responsibility if we do go down this season than Lawrie did when we were relegated under him.

I know we have people with media training, but FFS the fan base is near suicidal and Jones comes out with this bollocks?

1 Like

Yes! Just what we need, another young prospect. If we play our cards right he’ll probably be ready to play some minutes by April. But we’ll have to be careful not to overload him or expect too much of him too soon. Fortunately we have the luxury of time and can integrate him gradually in to a stable and confident team.

2 Likes

If only we’d had some sort of contract we could have held him too for one more year and then let him go with our blessing and not shooting ourselves in the foot/face.

I can’t even be arsed to write something sassy for this one. TalkSport. Nuff said.

Me thinks your losses might be a touch larger come May.

Building for next season :muscle:

I think we can see the start of a @Simon-says nervous breakdown playing out here

1 Like

When will @Simon-says have his nervous breakdown?

• January 2nd-8th
  • January 9th-15th
  • January 16th-22nd
  • January 23rd-29th
  • January 30th-31st
  • It’s all good in the land of the fairies

0 voters

1 Like

Although I note that Simon himself expects to have cracked before the 8th, I reckon he’ll actually hold on to a vestige of sanity until the final day of the transfer window. :+1::+1::grin:

1 Like

Mislav Orsic from Dinamo Zagreb