šŸø The Gin thread

_I have a bottle of tanquray that nobody wants to open .

Why did you never really feel at home on Saints Web, @Fowllyd?

1 Like

Actually, you know what, have a badge!

2 Likes

Beautiful one from Vancouver Island, brought a bottle home with me this month:

2 Likes

Hey, Shirty, you doing anything about emigrating to Canada?

Youā€™d suggested before that it was an option. Iā€™m alright as is @Cobham-Saint because weā€™re Irish to be sure.

Do you think it might have been the monocle?

3 Likes

I shall wear it with pride, old chap.

3 Likes

SlƔinte!

Apparently.

Plastic Paddies Utd

:lou_facepalm_2:

1 Like

Being a bit ancient nowadays, Iā€™m somewhat nonplussed by the increasing supply of ā€˜craftā€™ beers and the more recent explosion of new Gins with weird botanicals.

The beer situation was long overdue here in Australia, but although most are an improvement on the old lagers made here ie Vic bitter, Swan, Reschā€™s, XXXX etc. i havenā€™t yet found one thatā€™s a clear cut improvement on Bombardier which I drink when I can get it.

On to the Gins. I am an unapologetic Beefeater drinker It tastes as gin should and is a reasonable price, very enjoyable with tonic and a slice of lemon or lime. Iā€™ve tried a number of others but always come back to tried and trusted Beefeater.

Many years ago I had a run ashore in Colombo, Ceylon,(as it was in those days), and was introduced to Rocklands and fresh lime. Made for a very relaxing afternoon at the old Mt Lavinia Hotel overlooking the ocean and seemed not to have the effect of serious inebriation, however when back on board the ship I went out like a light and awoke eight hours later, having missed out on half my night on watch. It was a very pleasant drink, but with what could have been dire consequences. Rocklands of course, being the local gin.

4 Likes

Sloe gin, motherfuckers.

7 Likes

Have @Goatboy ā€˜s pickled onions gone mouldy then?

1 Like

Never saw this.

So, I (we) are in a position now where we can just up or leave - as soon as we voted to leave the EU I changed our financial strategy and cashed in - and looking at property prices in and around London it was the correct thing to do.

As said previously, I will only leave if our standard of living declines substantially - we have a lot of family here and young children so it would be harsh on them to leave. However, you also have to do what you think is best for your family.

Honestly, still very undecided.

Hello Fellow Lockees.

Lady Slowlane is at the end of her tether ( OK she is allowed to run free at weekends) but now is running short on supplies of Gin and is facing a sober interlude with something less than equanimity.

She has instructed Chambers to source a reliable supply of a Gin (preferably of the Pink variety) with a beefy body and a fragrant nose. Failing that a Pink Gin that sits happily between Harpic and Turpentineā€¦two choices lined-up as reasonable substitutes.

So fire away Gin swiggersā€¦sensible recommendations please. :lou_lol:

1 Like

Iā€™m enjoying this at the moment. Ā£20. Bargain.

Co-op have it for Ā£23ā€¦Iā€™ll send Chambers out tomorrowā€¦we have 2 local Co-ops.
Lady Slowlane will report backā€¦she may be gone some time.

Thanks.

1 Like

An alternative would be to simply buy a bottle of Tanqueray (good quality, readily available) and mix it with Fever-Tree Aromatic tonic, made with Angostura bitters. Given that the bitters are what makes a pink gin pink it should do the trick. Itā€™s also an excellent combination.

You could try paraffin and mix it with what the fuck ever, but Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d recommend that.

4 Likes

You must have attended the old coach station at London road and interacted with the tramps there then?

2 Likes

Good news sighting for all you Gin soaked inebriatesā€¦

3 Likes

Good to see. Give them another couple of months and theyā€™ll be ready.

Yep I picked them about halfway through September last year but they seem a bit late in making an appearance this year. We shall see. :lou_lol: