The European Union

Good to see you getting youre priorities right Phil!

1 Like

Do you trust me lou? I’d like to think that my chances get demeanour on here has counted for something.

Originally posted by @hypochondriac

Do you trust me lou? I’d like to think that my chances get demeanour on here has counted for something.

And in English??

Sorry to answer Lou’s question before she’s had a chance to respond herself, but if you and hypo@TSW are the one and the same (and I hope you are, the ramifications of someone pretending to be hypo@TSW are too terrifying to contemplate), then I’d argue that any goodwill you’re generating here by not being a little worm is being undone by the little worm over at TSW.

Originally posted by @Coxford_lou

Originally posted by @pap

If I’ve got any criticism of Furball that would apply to both his incarnations, it’d be that he is far too quick to draw detailed conclusions from limited information. It was equally amusing and frustrating when we were sparring on SaintsWeb. It’s something of a shame applied here, and as I said before, doesn’t make any sense.

If me da’s comments were followed by a series of yeehahs, pitchforks and white-sheeted mobs, we’d have a problem. bletch is also correct in that if it’s left unchallenged, we have a problem. That isn’t what’s happened here, and if this thread alone were held up as representative of everything Sotonians is about, I would not be embarrassed by it. I’d actually be proud. Proud because we’ve got a site where such views can be aired, discussed and debated.

No-one is going to come away from this thread thinking “Sotonians, eh? What a bunch of racist cunts. They’ll be worse than Stormfront within a year”, so I don’t understand the drama.

I think trust is a bit thing in reactions like this. There are folks on here I implicitly trust, and those are in the main the people I’ve met. If the people I trust, said something a bit bonkers, I’d still be on their side (just be wondering what’s up).

There are people on here I like loads and am intrigued by, but also a little nervous of! When they say something a bit bonkers, I sometimes react.

Of those I’ve not met, Bletch is in the former category. Bearsy in the latter, because I’m never sure if it’s all just one big piss take and he’s gonna make a fool of me any time soon! Highlighted by when he says something very smart, out of character!

I hope Furball gives us another chance, but I also feel sad CB Fry doesn’t have a friend at the moment, so that would solve that.

No.

2 Likes

I don’t think those points are news to fatso, Toke.

I think his point, well made and understood as it was, is that he’s simply worn out of debating this issue with people who are unlikely to change their views. He had hoped papsweb would be different.

I have some sympathy with his stance, and I hope this forum will have a better approach than others at addressing apparently intractable problems like this. This current ‘situation’ gives me hope:

Firstly, I’d give great credit to unionhotel for his post clarifying his views. Nice touch.

Secondly, I’d like to give the personality of the forum a little credit too, in that uniohotel sensed discord on the forum, and this led to him offering an apology.

But in future, if similar problems are not solved through either of the two outcomes above, then we have the down-vote facility.

We could probably do with documenting the process we will follow if a Barry, sorry, a poster is continually down-voted for their contributions.

Suffice it to say that if the moderators see the community suggesting that posters are out of step with the majority, then we’ll start a process that will aim to make the poster in question contribute in a more inclusive way - or it will ultimately result in them choosing to do one.

That’s not to say that this would have helped fatso or Furball in this situation because I don’t sense that a large tract of the community was actually offended by unionhotel’s comments.

Most appeared ready to debate with unionhotel - as was I.

2 Likes

Originally posted by saintbletch

approach than others at addressing apparently intractable problems like this. This current ‘situation’ gives me hope:

Firstly, I’d give great credit to unionhotel for his post clarifying his views. Nice touch.

Agreed. I remember having an almighty row with my grandad when he was around the same age as my dad. Amazingly, I was utterly and completely in the right. He wasn’t backing down. My nan politely explained that my grandad was an older gentlemen, stuck in his ways, and there was no way he was going to admit he was wrong in front of a fourteen year old. Get over it, in other words.

That has not been necessary here.

Secondly, I’d like to give the personality of the forum a little credit too, in that uniohotel sensed discord on the forum, and this led to him offering an apology.

Again, I concur. I think a couple of posters have jumped the gun, but I can’t blame them. Unqualified, that statement is fairly bold and can provoke all kinds of reactions. They don’t have the context I did, nor indeed, the practice in resolving Taylor-clan-originated-extraordinary-events. I have a great deal of practice :cool:

That’s not to say that this would have helped fatso or Furball in this situation because I don’t sense that a large tract of the community was actually offended by unionhotel’s comments.

The thing that provoked the reaction, quite rightly, was the stated admission of being a racist.

However, who does that comment really hurt? I know some have conjured up the worst, but in a society where racism is correctly seen as a bad thing, and on a forum which endorses that view, it only really hurts unionhotel. He’s a smart bloke and knows that. I think the forum largely saw it for what it was. Putting your own stake in the ground before someone else does it for you. As far as I can see, apart from vague references to African and Asian economic benefit migrants, rebutted by yours truly, he didn’t really have a go at anyone apart from himself.

Most appeared ready to debate with unionhotel - as was I.

Yeah, same here. I agree with Fatso about not wanting to debate with people who won’t change their opinions, but that didn’t happen here today. Everyone comes out with credit, so I hope that anyone thinking of doing the offs has collared the postman and retracted that resignation letter.

6 Likes

I’d be astounded if they are one and the same. Yes, that may indeed be a terrifying prospect, but our Hypo’s posting style is nothing like that of the TSW original. I don’t mean what he says, more the type and style of language used.

On the second point, I’ve looked on TSW and Hypo made all of two comments on the thread about this forum. Nothing much to see there to be honest - I thought his description of you as our ‘leader’ was rather amusing though.

1 Like

I will not take pap seriously as our leader unless he sports a cuban heel, safari suit and fedora.

3 Likes

Originally posted by @Fowllyd

I’d be astounded if they are one and the same. Yes, that may indeed be a terrifying prospect, but our Hypo’s posting style is nothing like that of the TSW original. I don’t mean what he says, more the type and style of language used.

On the second point, I’ve looked on TSW and Hypo made all of two comments on the thread about this forum. Nothing much to see there to be honest - I thought his description of you as our ‘leader’ was rather amusing though.

Well, what do I know? I’m the undisputed loser in the all time BAP identity contest (now there’s a badge for Bazza). My previous is sketchy, unless sir is willing to take my correct detection of thedelldays = Batman into account. No-one usually is. “Too obvious”, they say. (JBoy excepted x)

However, if I had to stick my neck out, I do reckon they’re one and the same. Both posters carry the hint of mild sneer and an unrequited need for acceptance, so if our hypo isn’t their hypo, hats off to our hypo impersonator. He’s getting the broad themes even if he isn’t nailing the specific dialogue.

Finally, I think all of the leader remarks are amusing. hypo wants to associate the site with me as if it’s a bad thing, Fry’s trying to dis me by calling this place Bletchweb. I’d love to respond in kind, so I’m eagerly awaiting hypoweb and fryweb. They won’t be the first to set up breakaway forums, they won’t be the last. I wish them well, if only for my right of reply x

Mild sneer? I take offence to that. I’ve been nothing but congenial since landing here. I apologise if your sneer detector went off, maybe it’s how the written word comes across?

3 Likes

Guilty as charged for the acceptance bit though. Deep down isn’t that what everyone strives for?

Guilty as charged for the acceptance bit though. Deep down isn’t that what everyone strives for?

That sounded dangerously close to a human emotion there, that can’t be Hypo.

3 Likes

You can bet your bollocks to a barndance if I made comments llke those my bollocks would be nailed to the barn door, the Bazza is a ledge though, like the Dalai Lama, Gandhi and Derek Accorah, bang on the money, nepotism is another word for racism, human nature, cross that number and acknowledge it and we all together can progress as legends watching Kes and Russ Abbott.

Hey Kids … http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/03/greece-economy-collapse-close-food-medicine-shortage

It’s a bit more real for folks in Greece

I had kept out of this thread firstly because I know nothing about Europe, and then because I didn’t want to get involved in a racism thread.

it seemed to me that union hotel posts in a similar mode to me. That is to say, a bit abstract. You paint the most important parts and leave out the nuances expecting others to fill in the blanks for themselves…This is terrible mistake on the Internet!

i never for one moment thought he was a racist in modern terms. I got the impression that he is cagey of the motives of a certain group of people during a current political crisis. To me, that is a reasonable worry. A country can’t open their doors with abandon very time there is a shitstorm in some other part of the globe.

i felt quite sad to read his apology, as it was not necessary in my opinion. He made an honest heartfelt post which was perhaps poorly phrased for an Internet forum. However, in a pub with his mates, I am sure it would have panned out very differently with a pint and a friend or two.

Hey, if he lived in France for 3 years and survived, I take my hat off! I did four years there, met a lot of good people…but man, that is hard work!!!:scream:

2 Likes

Thank you Ohio Saint. Very well expressed and exactly how I feel. I’m not going to be a racist anymore. Homophobia anyone?

4 Likes

So, ( :innocent:) is Unionhotel’s apology the most up voted post in the history of Papsweb? 12 likes. Pretty impressive stuff.

Including Fatso’s approbation, I note.

Nice touch.

But to your question, it could be, but I’m sure that illiterate Bear has _belch_ed up some misspelt, id est-strewn nonsense, that the slavering masses lapped up whilst unknowingly entering into a synchronised up-vote / member-stroke Ballet of the Bear.

Prolly.