⚽ The European Finals Matchday Threads

Was a correct decision, because his arm was moving towards the ball after it his his cheats…not maybe fair, but a correct one

Never a penalty. He’s pointing at a team mate to cover and mane boots it at his chest and it then flicks on to his arm. Never a penalty.

If that was a fair penalty the game has going fuckin mad. He had no other intent than kicking the ball at him.

1 Like

I detect a wee bit of bias because you dot want Scousers to win? be honest, if Saints had won that pen, you would not be saying the same thing

yes I would. That is in no way shape or form a penalty.

1 Like

Not at all…it’s not the game I grew up watching and playing…that would have been laughed at when I was playing and rightly so.

2 Likes

Cant agree… its only recently where the confusion has been added by ‘intent’ and ‘unnatural shape’ - historically if it hit arm or hand it was a pen, irrespective of intent or how close you were… that was in the official Association rules…

Watch it again…he has no other intent than hitting the ball at the player.

But the directive all season has been it’s a penalty if the player increases his body size by raising his arms and the ball hits it.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwit2_vr_sjiAhUj06YKHc2nAEUQzPwBegQIARAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.belfasttelegraph.co.uk%2Fsport%2Ffootball%2Fpremier-league%2Fmanchester-united%2Fexplained-how-uefas-implementation-of-handball-law-saw-manchester-united-awarded-crucial-penalty-against-psg-37888725.html&psig=AOvVaw1-yp7AGyw97rnV2iVWyfkz&ust=1559502815391071

1 Like

If that is the yardstick there will be hundreds of penalties next season. Get in the box, get a few feet from defender, chip it at his hand and appeal. Ridiculous.

1 Like

But that does not matter re the rules. The intent of the player kicking the bball is irrelevant to the penalty decision. Whether its fair or not is irrelevant.

Boufal will be worth his weight in gold next season. Just plop him in the area and tell him to hit defenders hands with the ball.

1 Like

If even I know the rules, Sissoko would do to. He was an idiot

Head of Uefa referees Robert Rossetti gave an insight into the law’s implementation in January. He told the Times that any player using his arms to make his body bigger in order to block the ball would be penalised in this season’s Champions League.
“The big challenge is the position of the arm,” he said. "When the arm is totally out of the body above the shoulder it should be penalised. If the defender is making the body bigger in order to block the ball it is not fair.

“It is different if the defender is challenging or playing the ball and it rebounds. But if he is looking to block a cross or a shot on goal and the player is trying to spread his body then it is a handball.”

But is he making his body bigger to block the ball? I don’t think so.

Thats the point though… most refs and pundits/ex players have said it was simpler in the past… hits hand, penalty. Intent, shape, closeness to player kicking it etc… is where all the subjective decisions come in as its open to interpretation… whereas a more draconian ‘hits hand or arm’ is simpler to … streaker

He has his arm out pointing to a team mate. He could have his arm out to keep his balance. Or to wave to someone in the crowd.

Exactly, matters not, only thing that should matter is it hit his arm and prevented ball reaching a opposition player. I know its not fair, but it is the rules

2 Likes

It’s a ridiculous decision, a ridiculous law and I doubt it will last more than one hideously contentious season.

Maybe, but point is they SHOULD be trying to remove subjectivity from the decision making

Why?

1 Like