🔎 🧑‍🤝‍🧑 The Coronavirus Contact Tracing App

And this is probably the reason why our Government don’t want to use the Google/Apple collab

The second, decentralized approach, as set out by Apple and Google, puts users in more control of their information, and alerts them automatically with no intervention from a third party. Apple and Google have also banned apps that use their decentralized and anonymized API from accessing location services to track and identify people, despite pressure to do so. And they have said they will only allow one app per country, or state in the US.

2 Likes

So what is the betting that if you have an android phone and your country uses the Google app, two minutes after receiving a positive contact notice, you will be blasted with advert for mask, paracetamol and undertakers

2 Likes

And if you use an iPhone all the PPE and other services will be Apple certified and branded and you can only get them through iTunes…

2 Likes

As nobody on the island has opposable thumbs, they won’t be able to use it anyway.

2 Likes

This is what tracing is all about…no fucking about here

The biggest surprise is that anyone is surprised

How can these numbers be so imprecise?

Surely, knowing exactly how many people in the beta test location have downloaded the app is critical to know?

The total downloads figure includes “mainlanders, media, under-16 Islanders or Islanders who may have downloaded the app more than once.”

So what we need is a second app…

This one MIGHT be built around anonymous and geo-ambiguous proximity tracking that I might feel more comfortable about using.

Might.

Piss-ups and breweries?

Mates rates and then bin the thing, wasn’t it Cummings’ mates that built ballsed up the NHS app??

That’s what it amounts too.

I’d like to see any money paid out returned if the contact was awarded based on hollow promises of tech that everyone said wouldn’t do the job.

On the other hand if this is just another balls-up-then-u-turn then I guess there’s nothing we can do.

I should say that I welcome the move to the new architecture and I’d certainly feel happier about using it myself now.

Yep, me too, and it’s in use in many, many fine countries too

…which means that IF running a ‘common’ contact tracing app is a condition of crossing some borders (which many believe it will be) then UK citizens will be in a better position.

1 Like

This has been a fuck up from the minute they said they were going to build an App in house - Seriously, just have a look round see whats out there and license the best one

Yep, especially when the impact of this procurement decision is slightly more important than an overspend on an aircraft carrier.

As the bank of England is proving, you can always ‘print’ more money.

It would appear it’s all my fault

4 Likes

Bloody hell Bob, next you’ll be telling us that you had a “post Xmas jaunt to China” ?

Time to get the ducking stool out of the shed …

3 Likes

Now, you’ll have to talk in words of one syllable for the technophobes amongst us …

Answer me this … when my phone goes to sleep (at least I think it does) when it’s in my pocket, how does any form of contact with another phone actually work ? Surely all the shite like Bluetooth and Wi-Fi all shut down ? Clearly not ?