🔎 🧑‍🤝‍🧑 The Coronavirus Contact Tracing App

Will you be using the contact tracing app?

So, the government has commissioned the development of a smartphone app (sorry @lifeintheslowlane) that it will be trialling on the Isle of Wight starting this week.

It aims to use technology to understand where each of us goes and importantly who we come into close proximity to. This will help in the tracking and tracing of the virus.

What little we know of its architecture appears to suggest that it will use Bluetooth to constantly look for other phones running the app - and presumably tag this with the location of the user(s) and report that back a central system.

We’re told that unless 50% of the population use the app, the data it collects will have limited value.

There are also concerns over the app itself. These include who was chosen to develop it, how that contract was awarded, what will the government do with the data and also surprise that the government has chosen not to embrace the technology stack being jointly developed by traditional rivals Apple and Google.

So, what will you be doing?

• I will be downloading and using the app
  • I will NOT be downloading and using the app
  • I am undecided - I have concerns

0 voters

I watched a newd report last week about the how they traced people in South Korea and it was bloody clever and completely terrifying. I’m not sure I’m ok with it but it worked there. Then again, they did before everyone died.

You were naked?

So where’s your vote going, @Fatso?

This isn’t the report I watched but is still interesting. Tracing mentioned from about 2.35

The one I saw looked at how they used CCTV to track peoples movement and who they came into contact with

I don’t know

Per-capita testing is the highest in the world and mortality is the lowest

There’s a lesson to learn.

Public health trumps privacy - a trade-off which most people support

I’m wondering if there is enough trust in our political system for that to be true here.

If this app means I can get out of this lockdown and get on with life, if some spod at MI5 wants to waste his time following me about, then fill yer boots.

4 Likes

But then they’ll know your secrets. I don’t want them knowing my secrets because they’re mostly disgusting and depraved.

5 Likes

Absolutely not.

If you don’t download the app then you will be directly responsible for every covid death from today onwards- probably

Murderers

1 Like

What if I download the app and then just murder people anyway?

1 Like

As long as they don’t have covid it will be fine

1 Like

MI5 have your stuff already.

It might be, for instance, be a political party, a lobbying organisation or other campaigning entity that would have access to your personal data.

Will my wife have access to my secrets?

1 Like

If they want to find out where I have been - eg end of my drive / care packages drop offs - and it gets me out of this lock down again, fill yer boots

Google / Facebook etc know all this anyway and merrily sell it on, so what’s a few more

Can’t see the source for the claim…

Wasn’t it commissioned by Cummings? For that reason alone I will be out…

2 Likes

https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/blog-post/security-behind-nhs-contact-tracing-app

More on the south Korean approach…

And from the BBC