The Citizens v The "coming back after a difficult period that I don't want to talk about" Saints

Grease yourselves up boys. We are very unlikely to do what no other team was managed.

A more optimistic way to approach this is to use conkers logic*.

City drew 1-1 against Everton.

We did Everton 4-1.

We should do City 5-2.

* Conkers logic is shit
** I’m not sure that’s conkers logic up there
*** Or any logic whatsoever.

3 Likes

The way I see conkers logic is thusly:

Man City have won 11 games on the trot. We have currently won 1 game on the trot. When we beat Citeh, our streak will got to 2 games on the trot, and absorb Citeh’s streak, taking our winning run to 13 games which should put us top of the league on 55 points.

2 Likes

Attention

About face

Touch Toes

Prepare to receive

2 Likes

# SaintsFC team to face # MCFC: Forster, Cédric, Yoshida, van Dijk, Hoedt, Bertrand, Højbjerg, Romeu, Lemina, Redmond, Long.

Right, so that’s basically 5-3-2 with three DMs.

Ahwel, see how it goes.

2 Likes

If it’s going tits up we can always stick virgil up front :lou_smiley:

Just need to make sure Forster remembers to shut the windows.

3 Likes

In all seriousness if we go a goal down then keeping the score to only 1-0 and then throwing everyone up for a set-piece in the last 5 may well be our best chance of getting a result.

Tell you what though, I do give Pellegrino some credit for being willing to chop and change depending on the opposition. The whole myth of ‘we play the way we play no matter who we’re playing’ is a naive recipe for disaster in this league.

Not saying we’ll actually scrape a 0-0 but at least he’s willing to try things.

(Although if we lose 7-0 he’s making it up as he goes along and hasn’t got a clue etc.)

But yes! If we draw 0-0 then he’s a tactically versatile genius.

4 Likes

Looks like damage limitation and go for it against Bournemouth

1 Like

Did JWP shag Mps daughter after the game Sunday?

Not even on the bench…

1 Like

So Charlie scores two goals, is adjudged man of the match and gets dropped next game. For Redmond? I’m sure Charlie will be made up! Surely our best chance of getting a goal against Man City is from a set piece, so what do we do? Drop JWP. Maybe i’m missing something but it makes no sense to me.

2 Likes

I see it thus…we’re probably going to get humped anyway…putting Saturday’s team out would probably result in a confidence dent…keep that team’s confidence fresh for Bournemouth…anything we get from tonight’s game is a result

1 Like

Pace up front, three defensive midfielders = sit deep play on counter attack.

1 Like

I can see the logic. We’ve got a three-man central defence, two full-backs who can defend and three very solid midfielders. Those up front will be expected to put in a lot of hard running, chasing everything down, and to have a bit of pace about them for the odd chance we get to stretch City’s defence. Well as he played on Saturday, I can’t see how Austin fits into that. Redmond and Long both do.

I’m sure that Pellegrino will have had a chat with Charlie about it (and with others who played well on Sunday and aren’t in tonight’s team (or even squad)).

3 Likes

Isn’t this more-or-less the team that has been so ineffective for most of the season? I wonder why he’s dropped Austin to the bench.

Reckon we will see the team from the Everton game start against Bournemouth.

2 Likes

Wow he’s gone 3 at the back!

Makes me laugh that he’s played the defensive midfield three that jokingly posted yesterday! Ha

Sensible set up though in my view. I hope he doesn’t get shit for not playing Austin. This is EXACTLY the game you play Shane Long. We aren’t going to be spending much time in their 18 yard box so Austin and to a lesser extent Gabbiadini would be ineffective. I presume Redmond gets a shirt to help a counter attack as he is quick. Shame he is also crap but never mind.

I guess what I’m saying is that I cannot disagree with this team under the circumstances. Play this team against Huddersfield at St Mary’s and it’s a different story!

COYS

Well, that makes sense but let’s hope that, in the unlikely event that either Redmond or Long get a sight of goal, they actually get a shot on target.

1 Like

I like the idea and it shows he’s willing to change things about formation wise…I just wish we had people less shit than long and Redmond up front. If we get a pout from this I’ll be over the moon and with this formation, who knows.

1 Like