:bbc: The BBC

Great post that Halo, we have become far too reliant on them.

Ive been watching a programme about the KKK and turned over for the rest of Question Time. I’ve turned straight back over after seeing June Sarpong followed by Theo Paphitis. Sarpong was saying she is pro EU but the one thing that makes her anti is seeing too may French tarts in the bakery. Jesus. Fuck the BBC, I take back all I ever said about them.

3 Likes

Its in Liverpool in two weeks, may pop along. The arguments for staying in are weak at best from the panal, Sarpong I think was expecting an ally in the old Millwall dog but Paphitis swiftly kicked her in the bollocks.

Who invited June Sarpong onto Question Time? Couldn’t they have got someone who isn’t the female equivalent of a white van man?

She is weak and simply comes out with populist rhetoric.

Generally unimpressed by this weeks panel, although Theo Pathitis makes some good points.

And now we are onto one of the three holy sacred cows, teachers, the other two are the NHS and Police.

There is currently a very black man reading the news. I can only assume this is the end of times.

Once would have kept it as something worth keeping. Everything has a life (except Robbie Savage’s bad dress sense it seems) so I’ll euthanise it.

I discovered this evening that the head of BBC News is James Harding, a close friend of Chancellor Gideon Osborne. This image I found on Twitter says best friend (sorry Fatso), but close is close enough for me to feel uncomfortable about it.

In charge since 2013.

Jolly japes. I liked this observation from the twittersphere:

Great to see June Sarpong discussing the EU on #bbcqt Looking forward to next week when Vernon Kay and Dani Behr discuss Trident.

— Simon Navin (@Sharkholio) February 18, 2016

2 Likes

Excellent piece here on HuffPost.

One of the most significant events of 2013 was the memorial for Nelson Mandela, marred by the bogus interpreter, who made random movements while standing alongside those paying tribute.

The BBC covered Mandela’s death and the aftermath extensively - as we would hope for one of the great figures of the 20th Century. It also took delight in reporting on fake signer Thamsanqa Jantjie.

The more the BBC spoke about the bogus signer though - at the detriment of other news - the more irritating it became. Not because it was frivolous - we are used to the BBC being self-indulgent and frivolous - but because over recent years the broadcaster has become more and more like Thamsanqa Jantjie.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/will-black/2013-the-year-the-bbc-loo_b_4520119.html

Excellent piece here on HuffPost.

One of the most significant events of 2013 was the memorial for Nelson Mandela, marred by the bogus interpreter, who made random movements while standing alongside those paying tribute.

The BBC covered Mandela’s death and the aftermath extensively - as we would hope for one of the great figures of the 20th Century. It also took delight in reporting on fake signer Thamsanqa Jantjie.

The more the BBC spoke about the bogus signer though - at the detriment of other news - the more irritating it became. Not because it was frivolous - we are used to the BBC being self-indulgent and frivolous - but because over recent years the broadcaster has become more and more like Thamsanqa Jantjie.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/will-black/2013-the-year-the-bbc-loo_b_4520119.html

This topic is temporarily closed for 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

Down votes for sounding like an eighteenth century northerner without any of the irony.

ITV exists for the terminally northern.

I teach boys and girls football skills at school, I play football with women quite often, and I’ve watched suewhistle simultaneously save Flyd’s penalty and give him a stiffy.

These things and more have given me a great deal of respect for the female game. I’d be concerned if the BBC didn’t try to address the delta between participation and press.

1 Like

Does not even deserve an reply! I will say I thought I signed into Saintsweb for one minute.

ITV is the worst channel in the history of man.

What is the point on pushing news stories about it, when the majority of people aren’t interested? The problem with women’s football isn’t that it’s played with women, it’s that the quality is pretty crap. The same as women’s cricket. So why try to artificially make it more popular?

i’d like to back cherts up cos I’m team sarb, but I use BBC website quite often to get my Football News and Fixtures etc and I can’t recall that I’ve been forced to read about fannyball v.much. Maybe I just scan over it, or maybe, right, BBC has heard about sarb and they’re purposely trolling him by promoting women’s football only to his I.P. address.

I do think they prob do promote stuff they think we should care about, over things we do care about to some extent tho. One of the cbeebies presenters that I watch with my Nephew, she has got a Stump Arm, which is quite Culture. But they also do serve the uncultured dumb masses with i.e. Strictly Cum Dancing and i.e. Top Gear.

1 Like

See, I think the stump arm girl, along with the disabled children on ‘Something Special’ really help with youngsters views on what is normal. For instance, due to the two examples above my daughter (nearly 4) has never asked why someone is in a wheelchair, or if they look a bit different etc, as she is used to it, which is great.

However, I’m not sure what the BBC are hoping to get out of pushing women’s football more vigorously than both the quality and popularity deserves. Maybe they’re as sick as I am of hearing the high pitched screams coming from the crowd in the stands everytime the ball goes near the 18 yard box. However, if they want more men to attend and take notice, I really wouldn’t recommend showing clips of the football, as that is what put’s me off…

1 Like

Originally posted by @Chertsey-Saint

ITV is the worst channel in the history of man.

What is the point on pushing news stories about it, when the majority of people aren’t interested? The problem with women’s football isn’t that it’s played with women, it’s that the quality is pretty crap. The same as women’s cricket. So why try to artificially make it more popular?

You’ve obviously forgotten L!ve TV.

1 Like