:bbc: The BBC

Fuck you bearsy. I did what I could. I saw the power of the banks and the wealthy elite and did what most normal people who felt powerless did and started donating money to ISIS. One day we will be free from the shackles of global capitalism and living in the caliphate.

3 Likes

i remember before the global financial crisis, i realised there was going to be a global financial crisis, but i was a bit busy at the time so i asked fatso to stop it and he said he would

“You know why you’re gay, because you like Coldplay”.

I set in motion a long term solution, bearsy. And they’re coming, don’t you worry about that.

Originally posted by @Fatso

KRG, you strike me as a good egg. There is plenty in your post that I disagree with but I doubt further discussion would make either of us change our mind. However, one point I would like to pick up on is this:

“My initial point regarding hostility is that a lot of decisions currently being made are burdening current crop of young people and subsequent generations disproportionally for mistakes they had no part in.”

NONE of us had my thing to do with those mistakes (I assume you’re talking about the global recession and banking crisis?). And that is why it’s not hostility being shown towards the young, but instead being shown to those who aren’t part of the wealthy elite, young or old. My life has changed because of what happened in 2008 and I am entirely blame free. I didnt fuck anything up but I’m being asked to pay the cost.

Thanks, likewise. I agree, it seems sensible to let things lie.

On the point you have highlighted in this post, I think that may be a slight miscommunication. I’m not for one moment saying that _ everyone _ of the previous generation was to blame, and I’m certainly not trying to say that only young people were negatively impacted by 2008 or it’s subsequent fall out. Of course, people right across the spectrum of age, wealth etc have been hampered severely. No question about that whatsoever.

If it helps at all, for clarity I graduated in 2010. I was at the sharp end of a lot of the shit that was thrown at young people, and saw mysef fall through a lot of cacks, have a lot of things stripped away in front of me. I watched the politicisation of my position, one which I was far from alone in (there was a 1m+ unemployed under 25s at the time I was). There was no support for me, or many other people in my position. I was also denied access to services because of my age (also my mental health issues at the time) as I wasn’t seen as a priority. The general attitudes I have and witnessed first hand were a combination of “why don’t you just go back to your parents”, which considering they were in London & I was 200 miles away in Leeds - wasn’t exactly easy (this eventually happened when I was on the verge of hospitalisation/homelessness - which ever comes first), “just a lazy kid that thinks he’s too good to work”.

Sorry, I’m starting to ramble, so I’ll try keep it short. But, I saw it first hand, it was often institutional particularly at Job Centres. When I see what is happening now, I can’t help but think things are going to get worse for the next generation.

But i do want to reiterate that in saying younger folk pay for the previous generations mistakes, that is not every single person previously (likewise, there will be some young people that also benefit from those mistakes whilst their peers struggle) and that it is ofcourse not only young people that suffer. I hope this goes some way to clear up some confusion.

6 Likes

I know what it’s like to sleep rough, and it’s no joke. There just aren’t sufficient support systems in place, and if you overcome your sense of shame enough to actually ask for help, ur as likely to be met with ridicule, as sympathy. It’s a systematic failing. Ppl shouldn’t have to live like animals in cold & filfth & dangerous environments. Only this week Holiday Inn put their rates up a lot, so I had to stop at Travelodge, and though I suppose there’s an exhibition or something, I’ve done nothing to deserve it, and the government need to look at these situations ASAP we’re sposed to be a civilised country ffs.

1 Like

Returning us back to topic, there was a time where it would have been assumed that the BBC would be investigating and showing a light on the difficult times a lot of people find themselves in. Too often, the organisation has been all too happy to pump out the soundbites, but not great on providing a lot of context.

Is that a true fact, pap? Does the BBC do less investigating re: suffering in society than it used to? It sounds like you just made it up, using what Barry would call ur Bias.

Panorama’s now on BBC3* - that’s how shit their investigating is Bearsy.

*that might be a lie/KRG bait

3 Likes

Put it this way. Every time they’ve used Panorama or Daily Politics to regurgitate establishment agenda, that is time wilfully diverting from the issues. Both Panorama and DP are going for the Labour leadership on a regular basis. Panorama did the hit piece on Corbyn, while DP has orchestrated on air resignations. When it lines up pro-Israel peeps without identifying them as such, give them airtime and don’t give any to the other side, they are faciliating suffering through the sin of omission, because I do reckon we’re a decent bunch, and not many of us would put up with suffering if it was avoidable and put front and centre.

I don’t think that it’s a deliberate move on the part of the BBC to become a nastier organisation, but having seen it in operation across a few decades now, my observation is that it mostly toes the line of the establishment. Alternative comedians aside, lined up behind Thatcher on many of her policies, lined up behind Blair on Iraq and lined up behind Cameron.

It’s almost as if the BBC mostly lines up with the government of the day.

Gotten a lot worse since David Kelly’s death, I reckon. Think it was more independent before then.

yeah tbh i just had a think, and IIRC KRG mentioned earlier that one of BBC’s main investigative journalists is Prof Fucking Green. 'Nough said RIP.

Originally posted by @Chertsey-Saint

Originally posted by @TheCholulaKid

Panorama’s now on BBC3* - that’s how shit their investigating is Bearsy.

*that might be a lie/KRG bait

Panorama can’t be on BBC3, as it’s for the children*. It goes CBeebies, CBBC, BBC3, and then to the adult channels like Babestation and the like. That’s all you watch until you’re 18.

*I loved BBC3 by the way…

It’s strange as the BBC has systematically gone for the Tories for the last 20 years and now is doing a Verbal/Lou volte face to attack the rabid left.

Hey, it’s easy to mock. But it’s a good move. They get people that are younger, and probably appeal to young people to make programmes about issues affecting young folk.

My opinion of Prof Green went up massively when he did that show about suicide and mental health. Likewise, Reggie Yates has done some interesting programmes.

It’s often said young folk aren’t interested in societal issues, or politics, but there is a lack of voices out there for them to connect to. Shows of that ilk are a very good thing, imo.

1 Like

Reading about the German resistance is sad and uplifting at the same time, the bravery of a few against all odds, truly inspiring.

Trolling git.

1 Like

Fair play for putting that on here, respect.

Watched that the other night, he came across very well and genuinely concerned for the welfare of the people, very sad and it could happen to any of us.

2 Likes

And he gets to go home to Millie Mackintosh too…

Sorry, I’ve been offline today; consequently, I’m a bit behind this interesting discussion and I’m about to derail it away from the BBC again by sharing some thoughts on university degrees.

Even though both of my sons gained first-class degrees in Japanese Studies and Criminology, respectively, neither of them are actually following a career in these subjects.

The eldest is currently working in politics - you’d more-than-likely get on well with him, Pap, because he’s a Corbyn supporter! - and the youngest became disillusioned with the police force / probation service etc career paths that often follow from a criminology degree; and, consequently, retrained as an accountant.

Actually, I thought that accountancy was sort of linked to criminology, but not so according to the recruitment agency my son used when successfully applying for an accountancy job: he acted on their strong advice and entirely removed his first-class criminology degree from his cv!

So, what was the point of him spending three years doing all that work and accumulating all that debt? Well, no point at all as things presently stand … and it’s not as if he even got much out of the social side of attending university, because, according to him, he definitely didn’t.

‘Ah, but …’ people say: it doesn’t really matter that ex-students aren’t ending up employed in the subjects they studied, because a lot of companies and organisations only look to employ degree students regardless of what they studied. For these companies or organisations all that matters is that potential employees are ‘degree standard’, ffs.

But, all this leads me to recall something I read in a book a while ago - I think it was in ‘Spent’ by the evolutionary psychologist, Geoffrey Miller - where he talked about companies and organisations that only recruited degree students, regardless of the degree subject. His contention was that this was a complete waste of a student’s three years and student-fees, and maintained that a few days of psychometric testing will ascertain whether a student has got what it takes to pass a degree. He stated that this had been tested on students at the start of their degree courses, and that the results of the psychometric tests showed a very good correlation with whether or not the students actually gained a degree three years later.

In short, perhaps in lots of cases, it would be better if companies and organisations weren’t so insistent on recruiting degree students, and conducted their recruitment in other ways that enabled young people to start their careers at an earlier age without having to take degrees?

5 Likes