🖖 Star Trek returning to small screens :starfleet:

They take a lot of continuity.

If you want to get prepared for the last half of the season, watch “In a Mirror Darkly”, Enterprise.

It’s on Netflix, and it’s excellent. They even did a special intro.

I think @bearsy should make a video based off it after his original effort. It’s basically papsweb post-referendum :lou_sunglasses:

Bloody hell

Kill Bill Shatner 2?

Lots of storyline speculation but talk about big guns compared to His bless him Simon Pegg’s script

1 Like

Phasers set to KILL, muthaf**kas!

Yes, I’d watch that.

1 Like

From Dusk to Trek, I could be interested in that…

1 Like

Meet the real Paul Stamets.

And set mind to blown.

They’e BACK!

OOF.

No spoilers

All Hail

Long live

Back with a bang

I enjoyed it very muchly, especially Tilly

4 Likes

I’ll try not to spoil too much, but the benefits of planning a whole season, as opposed to a series of individual episodes. Last night’s episode was a joy to watch in itself. It’ll be easy to be accused of hyperbole, but again, it’s some of the best Trek I’ve ever seen. It’s the planning that really impresses.

I’m listening to Permanent RCRD’s Trek podcast at the moment. I recommend it highly, because they nail just exactly how clever this show has been in terms of plotting and foreshadowing. “Captain” Tilly has been a thing throughout, ever since she stated her ambition to be one, and being called “Captain” by Stamets after one of his tardigrade trips. I guess we have an idea of where his mind went now.

The boys on the podcast talk about how well the theme of duality has been nurtured all along; the opening episode was called “The Battle of the Binary Stars”, Tyler’s got a duality all of his own, you’ve Lorca, the most unStarfleet Captain ever to have existed (this episode does fuck all to refute the theory that he is Mirror Lorca) and then you’ve got the conflict between the values of Starfleet and the Federation and the things it is prepared to do in its name for its survival. Mirror Lorca probably doesn’t help.

Standalone, it’s one of the best Trek episodes I have ever seen. Considered in context, both in this show, and the way it seems to be tying up with Star Trek: Enterprise canon, and it’s fucking magnificent.

2 Likes

Agree with mostly all that, didn’t really watch enterprise so can’t comment how it ties in so I’ll take your word. I’m looking forward to meeting mirror Burnham as I will surely like that one if she is the opposite to the one we have.

We won’t see Mirror Burnham.

I reckon we should presume her actually dead, killed by Mirror Lorca, as the record states.

The interesting thing is that the Terran Empire has not been able to lay hands on him. until now.

I wonder why? :lou_sunglasses:

Guess these people don’t like it very much

The latest Trek episode is inside my mind.

Super stuff, as usual, with only one plot line floundering a bit. Another big fan theory finally confirmed; there’s simply no way back. The Mirror Lorca theory gets yet another boost in the opening monologue when Burnham, considering her situation after some time commanding an ISS ship, says “even the light isn’t the same here”.

I do however, have a big problem with the internal logic of this episode. Without saying who, the identity of the Terran Emperor is revealed in this episode. It’s a big moment. It’s a great moment, and in the moment, the Rule of Cool completely overtook me. As I lay back in the Star Trek equivalent of post coital contemplation, I’m somewhat more critical.

Last episode, they theived a data module from the wreckage of a starship. Damaged as it was, this module contained vital information, such as who the Captain of the ISS Discovery was, the fate of Mirror Burnham and Mirror Lorca was known, and indeed became an integral part of the plan, driving plot arcs forward.

They know a LOT about the Mirror Universe.

So how comes they didn’t Stargoogle who the fucking Emperor was?

I know _why _they did it dramatically, but it’s a plot hole the size of a black hole. I daren’t look on Twitter.

You missed the real question Pap.

Last week’ After Trek implied the Doc isn’ dead yet won’ be in the Mirror Universe.

Steamers corals but doesn’ and chats with…

So how does ISS Disco get around.

Also perhaps Burnhams reaction is horror at having her plan (& life prospects) screwed by the Emperor showing up to finish the job.

But I agree it is superb TV and Trek on steroids

I like most trekkies rejoiced at the release of the Kelvin timeline movies. We finally had Trek back. It had faults but we loved it.

Then we got Star Trek Beyond. No not Simon Pegg’s perjury, I mean next level. Game Over Beyond.

No spoilers - too early in the week, but as the strands come together in Discovery (pap’s plot hole not withstanding) we are seeing just how good this new iteration is.

It is Epic

Hard to see how the Movie franchise with it’s bad guy formula can hope to compete.

#rimship

Spoilers ahoy
That was pretty special, and yes, I agree with Phil’s comments about Discovery nurturing the ultimate Star Trek villain.

I’m not as arsed about the plothole. I went back and rewatched the Mirror Universe episodes before now, and to be fair to them, they referred to the Terran Empire having a faceless Emperor. Good enough for me, especially given how cool it was to see Georgiou again, now in Emperor form.

The big B plot was Stamets finding his way out of his mycellium-induced coma, which was very sweet. The C plot was Tyler, and Saru’s attempts to enlist a reluctant L’Renn in his treatment.

However, it’s the main plot that really delivered this week, mostly because it drops the bombshell on the audience that they’ve been watching it all along. Alright, the clues have been copious and much discussed online, but no-one is going to finish this season thinking the writers have been pulling this shit out of their arses at random. No-one’s going to write angry letters saying “you pulled some LOST level shit there, dudes”.

Kudos to the writer. They’ve layered the show like an especially fine lasagne, except when you see this episode, look at those that preceded it, you’ll realise that unlike the insta-gut Italian dish, there’s no fucking fat in this at all.

Hey Pap. Like your write ups. Don’t suppose you could hold off until the Sat after the new episode. The C_S’ watch the new episode on a Friday so it spoils it a bit if you include spoilers (!!!) on a Monday…I could of course not read your updates, but that ain’t gonna happen is it?

Hold off until Friday?

Lol.

If he’s like us he will be incapable of typing sense on a Friday due to the withdrawal symptoms!

Got to give a shout out as well though to After Trek. The format and accent of Mike Mira was really annoying as was the Lucie attitude, but with time it has been excellent at going into the depths of character that we may have seen but didn’ fully understand.

What is now so clear is that Disco while being excellent TV is also such a Labour of love

Dear Cobham,

don’t click to follow this tweet until Friday night.

Pap.

You may find this thread interesting,

#Sato

And dinner.

(No Cob’s DON’T read this)

Mate, do what I do. Exercise ye old self control. Or watch it on a Monday.

2 Likes