:pl: :saintsfc: Southampton v Aston Villa :astonvillafc: (Live on :sky_logo: Sports)

But did the Lino obviously miss that offside?
Cannot do that it must be precise.
Penalty? They had months of wrong decisions so a new protocol.
OK it is wrong but it is better than what was.

Adam Blackmore (Villa fan) is equally baffled.

1 Like

CUNTS

FUCK OFF

STILL ANGRY

:lou_angry:

2 Likes

Romeu… :man_facepalming:t2:

As far as I’m concerned you shouldn’t be changing rules or their interpretation during the season, everyone should play to the same non-standards.

In more positive news.
I’m not last in Superbru.
:man_facepalming:

Thank fuck I don’t do it :wink:

2 Likes

Disagree. It’s a new wrong that’s worse than the old wrong which was a stupid mess. Get back to straightforward laws. Too much ridiculous interpretation. The one that annoys me most is “he was entitled to go down” or “he went down too easily”. It’s not about how well he fucking went down, it’s whether he was fouled. Is that so difficult.

Editor’s note. If you think the poster seems pissed and pissed off, you are correct.

2 Likes

Agreed. The rules are becoming a farce. Two months ago, everything was a pen, refs constantly checking monitors. Now nothing. Rules are being changed to suit VAR. Idiotic.

2 Likes

Corrected it for you :slight_smile:

1 Like

A very important factor in deciding offside seems to be ignored. The freeze frame is chosen, then pseudo-geometric measurements of millimeters are taken to make the decision, which are well outside the margin of error of the system. But the decision is often, in effect decided by the freeze frame chosen. Usually (including last night) the ball is a blur in the frame and choosing one frame earlier or later still leaves the ball just leaving the foot, but makes the difference between inside and offside. The system is not accurate enought to be analysed so precisely. The answer (and it wouldn’t have helped us as the assistant flagged) is that unless the stills - a series around the key moment - all show a clear mistake beyond the margin of error, the decision stands. Or, if you like, go back to the old-fashioned idea of giving the attacker the benefit of the doubt. The current system is pretending to have accuracy it hasn’t got and it’s still open to subjectivity and worse.

4 Likes

The rich six and their mates in the media put the pressure on.

I lack any confidence in the integrity of refs/VAR refs. Junior VAR officials are afraid to overrule a more senior ref. I suspect it could harm their careers. I think senior VAR refs sometimes like to demonstrate their authority by finding apparently clever but actually spurious reasons to overrule.

Add to that an overriding tendency for refs to stick together: you don’t challenge me and I won’t challenge you. That way we can avoid criticism and retain our total authority. I really think most refs hate VAR as a challenge to their decisions rather than recognising it as useful support, which is the situation in other sports.

Then you can add PL and big team pressure to maintain the brand by keeping the right teams at the top for viewing figures in Asia. And finally, the mindset of the VAR ref looking at an incident. I really get the feeling that rather than just looking at it objectively all too often they’re looking fir a way to come to their preferred decision. It’s a mess.

In amongst the bedwetting on Fiver web there are 1 or 2 decent, reasoned comments. This is the best IMHO

Understandably there is a lot of disappointment about the way things went last night but focusing solely on the alleged errors of the match officials rather begs the point.

We are not scoring goals and it seems we cannot score goals. What we saw from Saints last night seemed more like desperation to me than a grand plan to put things right. From the outset we seemed to be playing a very flexible system based on fast running and frequent positional interchanges where the front four were popping up all over the place. Even the MF duo and the full backs joined in the mix at times. The nominal starting positions on the team sheet served only to misdirect the opposition. We had a lot of the ball and Villa couldn’t get a foothold but we never seemed to have clear plan of where it was all supposed to lead…

Initially it all was very dynamic and exciting and looked as though it might achieve good results but as time went by more and more it resembled a bunch of headless chickens left to their own devices and to making it up as they went along. As pretty as it looked there were few occasions when we got through their lines and too many misdirected speculative crosses into the box were easily defended by a stout and determined Villa defence. We lost because we just did not know how to unlock a packed defence that too many times forced us to play down the wings and resort to lobbing balls into the box where we were always second best.

Deflecting the whole debacle to a couple of admittedly dodgy VAR decisions avoids confronting the reality of our situation. We have very few papers of genuine quality who can make a difference to the outcome of games. Although he is a figure of hate here Grealish is the sort of player that we do not have. I am not suggesting that we have a team of mostly hard working journeymen but it is beginning look like that. Even Ings looked pedestrian last night and the only player that deservesd any credit was Oriol Romeu who did what he always does in his usual dogged and determined way but he is not a match winner.

Has Ralph taking this bunch of players as far as he can? As frustration mounts and results continue to disappoint maybe he and others are beginning to ask this question.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: :pl: :manunitedfc: Man Utd v Southampton :saintsfc: (Live on :bt_sport: sport)

We only really looked like headless chickens without a plan as injuries forced the substitutions from a threadbare bench. We started with JWP at right-back ffs, losing Walcott and Diallo only made things harder as the pack was shuffled again. We played well in the first half, and were stunningly unlucky not to go into the break one up. I’m not saying everything’s rosy but it’s at least understandable why we aren’t scoring given that our system relies so heavily on the full backs. As we get back towards something like the full squad it’ll improve, we haven’t suddenly become shit overnight.

6 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CKtpSuhoixu/?igshid=1t25zpivx008c

Magic moment

3 Likes

I felt this summed up the VAR disgrace. Also from the Grauniad:

Ings farce lays bare the absurdity of VAR

As the replays of Danny Ings’ disallowed stoppage-time equaliser played out on a monitor behind the Southampton substitutes twisting, a voice echoed what everyone was thinking. “They change the rules every week,” one said while awaiting the VAR decision. That the former referee Chris Foy later suggested the goal may well have stood had Ings not been wearing a black armband in tribute to the former Southampton club president John Mortimore just about sums up the madness of it all. And that is before you factor in the moment Matty Cash handled in the box only for the VAR, Mike Dean, to deem that his left arm remained in a natural position as the ball grazed his thigh. The Leeds defender Robin Koch was not so fortunate at Anfield in September. If fans were not already disillusioned with the technology, this game of marginal calls and microscopic lines may well have pushed some of those on the fence over the edge.

1 Like