:pl: :saintsfc: Southampton v Aston Villa :astonvillafc: (Live on :sky_logo: Sports)

It’s a good point though

1 Like

Would love us to come out against United in a red and white version of these

4 Likes

What really annoys me is that since VAR they’ve felt the need to introduce a whole host of constantly-changing interpretations to deal with ultra-slow motion replays.

VAR is actually causing reactive changes to rules, or interpretation, which is stupid.

Why can’t football do what most other sports who’ve used video replays for ages - let the ref make a soft decision and then he asks if there’s reason to change, or VAR step in if he’s obviously missed something… I feel that refs regard VAR as a challenge to their authority rather than what it should be - help to get the right decision.

2 Likes

Ralph said maybe three injuries. Diallo, Walcott, ?

The more times you see both incidents the more ridiculous it gets. What happened to ‘standing in an offside position’? That was the rule, plain and easy to understand and implement. Ings was clearly standing onside, a centimetre of his sleeve ffs. And the penalty decision beggars belief. If that had been at Anfield or Old Trafford there is no way it wouldn’t have been given. Really pisses me off.

2 Likes

But did the Lino obviously miss that offside?
Cannot do that it must be precise.
Penalty? They had months of wrong decisions so a new protocol.
OK it is wrong but it is better than what was.

Adam Blackmore (Villa fan) is equally baffled.

1 Like

CUNTS

FUCK OFF

STILL ANGRY

:lou_angry:

2 Likes

Romeu… :man_facepalming:t2:

As far as I’m concerned you shouldn’t be changing rules or their interpretation during the season, everyone should play to the same non-standards.

In more positive news.
I’m not last in Superbru.
:man_facepalming:

Thank fuck I don’t do it :wink:

2 Likes

Disagree. It’s a new wrong that’s worse than the old wrong which was a stupid mess. Get back to straightforward laws. Too much ridiculous interpretation. The one that annoys me most is “he was entitled to go down” or “he went down too easily”. It’s not about how well he fucking went down, it’s whether he was fouled. Is that so difficult.

Editor’s note. If you think the poster seems pissed and pissed off, you are correct.

2 Likes

Agreed. The rules are becoming a farce. Two months ago, everything was a pen, refs constantly checking monitors. Now nothing. Rules are being changed to suit VAR. Idiotic.

2 Likes

Corrected it for you :slight_smile:

1 Like

A very important factor in deciding offside seems to be ignored. The freeze frame is chosen, then pseudo-geometric measurements of millimeters are taken to make the decision, which are well outside the margin of error of the system. But the decision is often, in effect decided by the freeze frame chosen. Usually (including last night) the ball is a blur in the frame and choosing one frame earlier or later still leaves the ball just leaving the foot, but makes the difference between inside and offside. The system is not accurate enought to be analysed so precisely. The answer (and it wouldn’t have helped us as the assistant flagged) is that unless the stills - a series around the key moment - all show a clear mistake beyond the margin of error, the decision stands. Or, if you like, go back to the old-fashioned idea of giving the attacker the benefit of the doubt. The current system is pretending to have accuracy it hasn’t got and it’s still open to subjectivity and worse.

4 Likes

The rich six and their mates in the media put the pressure on.

I lack any confidence in the integrity of refs/VAR refs. Junior VAR officials are afraid to overrule a more senior ref. I suspect it could harm their careers. I think senior VAR refs sometimes like to demonstrate their authority by finding apparently clever but actually spurious reasons to overrule.

Add to that an overriding tendency for refs to stick together: you don’t challenge me and I won’t challenge you. That way we can avoid criticism and retain our total authority. I really think most refs hate VAR as a challenge to their decisions rather than recognising it as useful support, which is the situation in other sports.

Then you can add PL and big team pressure to maintain the brand by keeping the right teams at the top for viewing figures in Asia. And finally, the mindset of the VAR ref looking at an incident. I really get the feeling that rather than just looking at it objectively all too often they’re looking fir a way to come to their preferred decision. It’s a mess.