:southampton: šŸ–¼ Southampton - Past in pictures - places & people

hope you sent it back to them!

I havenā€™tā€¦TBH I donā€™t know how people view that kind of thingā€¦nobody likes a smart-arse. Besides, the original poster might have pinched it from someone else, he certainly didnā€™t take the picture.

67726892_2380249082295094_6492065310986731520_n

One for @ericofarabia and @SO5-4BW, among others.

3 Likes

Itā€™s also the original (?) location of the Focsle Folk Clubā€¦famous venue where John Edgar Mann reputedly turned away a young itinerant folk singer by the name of Paul Simon.

Absolute sacrilege having that advert next to A Gales Pub!!

3 Likes

Where is that @Fowllyd?

Was that opposite what is now the Texaco garage?

Itā€™s on New Road opposite the Solent Uni.

Ohh.

Ta

Itā€™s now a block of flats - exactly the same building as it was but no longer a pub. :sob:

And possessed the greatest Juke Box in town. Includingā€¦

Oxford Street in the late 1800sā€¦from The Clive Sweetingham Collectionā€¦very nicely hand coloured.

6 Likes

Nice image well known to Sotoniansā€¦circa 1890s? Shamelessly copied from Southampton Heritage Photos

8 Likes

I can see the place outside the pub where I usually vomit.

4 Likes

And to think, over 100 years later, in the 21st century, this photo would have had a shitload of Sotonians beering it up before a match.

:lou_facepalm_2: ā€¦and to think we fought two World Wars to end up like thisā€¦ :anguished:

Be thankful itā€™s still there. Stan Boardmanā€™s chippy is not.

1 Like

Right, I feel Iā€™ve been dropping the historic pictures of Eastleigh into the wrong thread as this looks like a better home.

A couple of questions to those who knew Beastleigh back in the day.

When the tweeter says ā€œTesco is in the distanceā€ is he talking about where the current Tesco is or was there a Tesco there back in the day? Was it re-built as part of the Swan Centre development on the same site?

Secondly, when did the Unigate dairy move from there because when I moved to Eastleigh back in the 90s it was on Shakespeare road (now redeveloped into flats). I donā€™t think the then dairy moved as part of the Swan Centre development because it was already on Shakespeare Road (I think).

That would be the original Tesco, built in the mid 1970s I think. It stood on Factory Road opposite the end of Market Street, so pretty much where the Swan Centre is now. Back then it was simply a Tesco; prior to that the closest thing that Eastleigh had to a supermarket was Fine Fare on Market Street.

1 Like

When I was a young sprog of around 10, 11, 12 years I used to cycle to Eastleigh every evening with a mate to ā€œbunkā€ the railway sheds on Campbell Road.
There were always holes in the fence and to be honest the Railwaymen didnā€™t give a toss kids of my age were sneaking around the steam engines. These were giant steaming beasts being prepared to take a freight or local passenger train across the Southern Rail network. This gives you the flavourā€¦(not my pictures BTW)

I did take pictures with my Kodak Brownie 127 and I still have lots of negs but itā€™s a hassle to scan them as theyā€™re an odd size.
The line of engines adjacent to the airfield was the scrap line and the kids used to climb up into the cabs of the locos to stuff any loose pieces of equipment into our duffle bags. I had a collection of large pressure gauges in the shed at home. My dad often asked where I got them and seemed to be satisfied with, ā€œMy mate gave them to me.ā€

I still love steam engines. :lou_lol:

4 Likes

Right, Eastleigh boys (and you posh Fairoakers and Bishopstokers), when did this come down?

Anyone alive that saw this?

@Fowllyd, youā€™re our oldest member - do you remember this?

All that is there now are the foundations, a cross and the graves around the walls.