:southampton: 🖼 Southampton - Past in pictures - places & people

That’s quite a well known Spitfire in this area…certainly if you’re in my age-group as it was kept in a hanger at Eastleigh Airport during the 1950s. Although I’m a post-war “baby boomer” I was still raised with the sound of the Spitfire in my ears…this Spitfire as we lived under the Eastleigh flight-path in Harefield. The private owner of this reconnaissance Spittie used to exercise it every Saturday afternoon over our house during the summer months. :lou_wink_2:

3 Likes

Whilst looking for some more info on the Spitfire above, reg G-AIDN I stumbled on this absolute gem of a find, I’ve only had a chance to skim through, but loads of references to Woolston, Eastleigh Airport, Hursley Park which I didn’t even know about and people from the area.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=HJ87AwAAQBAJ&pg=PT384&lpg=PT384&dq=g-aidn+spitfire&source=bl&ots=BGAWthW8I_&sig=a6NhHlaQiLhuyKrjXEOdwv12roU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj2xeaWkL_NAhUJBsAKHTD3BEQ4ChDoAQhJMAg#v=onepage&q=g-aidn%20spitfire&f=false

1 Like

Great stuff, love it!

Thanks for that Eric…looks like G-AIDN isn’t the one that used to fly over our house but one of the others modified to two cockpits at Eastleigh.

As kids in the late '50s early '60s we would spend many a Saturday at Eastleigh Airport and Eastleigh Railway Sheds (at the end of the runway).

You could ride your bike into the airport unhindered right up to the end hanger where the Saunders-Roe facility was located. At the time they were building and maintaining little Skeeter helicopters…

They would fill them up…run a few checks and test fly them…with us sat on the grass outside the hanger watching.

Then it would be up to the Railway Sheds for the rest of the afternoon…through a hole in the fence, over the railway lines, in between engines in steam, through the sheds with engines being prepared for duty. Occasionally someone would shout “Oi 'op it” but we just ran behind another engine and carried on…they weren’t bothered, nobody considered what we were doing was in any way hazardous. I suppose we were about 10, 11, 12 years old…we didn’t tell our parents exactly where we’d been though.

This is the place…Eastleigh Sheds…

At any one time there would be around 100 steam engines in and around the sheds.

3 Likes

Campbell Road Bridge was my Plane Spotting and Train Spotting Haunt in my young teens!! Ideal spot in the 70’s. I paid it a visit on one of my last trips, barely any view of the airport and barely any trains in the diesel depot or works.

Yep I can still smell the steam trains as they thundered under Campbell Road Bridge…it was a great place to get that heady rush of, sight sound and smell. The Sheds were always easy to get into…The Works on the other side of the road was a different matter. There was always one clever arse who claimed he knew how to get into The Works but we all knew if you got caught there you’d be made into a pork pie and never seen again. There was always The Works Open Day…the only day of the year you could legitimately get into the inner sanctum. :lou_lol:

Here’s another view of the Sheds in the '50s/'60s…

3 Likes

Originally posted by @lifeintheslowlane

Originally posted by @ericofarabia

Campbell Road Bridge was my Plane Spotting and Train Spotting Haunt in my young teens!! Ideal spot in the 70’s. I paid it a visit on one of my last trips, barely any view of the airport and barely any trains in the diesel depot or works.

Yep I can still smell the steam trains as the thundered under Campbell Road Bridge…it was a great place to get that heady rush of, sight sound and smell. The Sheds were always easy to get into…The Works on the other side of the road was a different matter. There was always one clever arse who claimed he knew how to get into The Works but we all knew if you got caught there you’d be made into a pork pie and never seen again. There was always The Works Open Day…the only day of the year you could legitimately get into the inner sanctum. :lou_lol:

I was post steam, more interested in aviation, but took up train spotting as well to while away the time waitng for any aircraft to pitch up on our Air Band Radios. Nowadays it’s all FlightTracker24 or whatever from the luxury of the sofa and pop out at the appropriate moment to spot a 747 33000 ft high 50 miles away!!

Earlier I posted a few engravings from a book called “Vestiges of Old Southampton”…the book is from 1891 with engravings by Frank McFadden. I found an original copy in Baltimore in the US, bought it and it arrived today. The book’s in reasonably good shape, nothing a good bookbinder can’t handle. Everything is there including the 12 superb engravings so I’m a happy bunny today. The engravings themselves are loose in the book which is a blessing as tomorrow I’m going to get them digitally scanned with a view of having them reproduced…so watch this space…I’ll be giving Sotonian.com discount. :lou_wink_2:

Here’s the front cover…

7 Likes

OK moving on from my last post I’ve now had a chance to scan the 12 etchings from “Vestiges of Old Southampton” and had some of them printed at A3 size. When I picked them up from the printers I was surprised at how well they have reproduced. I think they’re just about the best engraving of old Southampton I’ve ever seen. The proportions are bang on and as they were based on photographs taken by Frank McFadden’s friend Thomas Hibberd James they are accurate in detail too.

I’ve had a batch of 10 printed off of 3 of them…if anyone’s interested you can view and order them here: http://vwjudsonregister.tripod.com/1891-southampton-prints.htm

3 Likes

Ordered. Loving these!

1 Like

^^^ Just sent you a PM Sim. :lou_lol:

I was looking through a pile of my dad’s Southampton books the other day when I found a soft-back book of Victorian photographs by Thomas Hibberd James…the man on whose Frank McFadden’s etchings are based.

I’ll scan a few of the pictures so you can compare the photos and etchings.

1 Like

This great stuff, amazing!

I have to say I spent more time looking at the scene below…1922.

2 Likes

If you read about Frank McFadden’s etchings of Old Southampton in some of my previous posts you might remember me saying they were factual representations. That’s because they were based on photographs taken by his amateur photographer friend Thomas Hibbert James. Here are a few for comparison…

2 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

The above photos and etchings posted by lifeintheslowlane are stunning in their quality and detail, and provide a very interesting glance back in time to 1891. Thanks for sharing, John.

Can you, or anyone more familiar with the city than I am, tell me if the Platform Tavern pub featured in one of the posts is the same pub as the one on Town Quay that exists today, or is it a different one somewhere else?

Looks like the back entrance to the Platform to me. Hasn’t changed much apart from the trike.

1 Like