:southampton: 🖼 Southampton - Past in pictures - places & people

Top work, Sfcsim!

My Dad has a 1937 Vauxhall Ten - rather rare so I understand, so my eyes were drawn to it.

1 Like

Bit difficult to see from that view…Vauhall’s distictive front bonnet is always a giveaway. The shape of rear panel and wide rear window look right. Carrying the spare on the rear panel isn’t unusual if you wanted to free up space in the boot.

The rear panel and wide rear window was what attracted my attention. It looks as though the rear number plate is mounted on a bracket to the bottom right, which is also a telling sign…? The front wheel arch looked a little too big, though after comparing it to my Dad’s photos, this looks about right?

I’m looking forward to seeing these pics, I keep checking back! (Geek alert). :lou_wink_2:

You’re right, it was the Windsor - I may well have been there with you (certainly with Fowllyd & his bro) - but think it was mostly the Bay Tree around that time

Originally posted by @SO5-4BW

Originally posted by @ericofarabia

Originally posted by @M8D7C

Originally posted by @Sfcsim

Plesteds - 1950’s

Pp

There was record shop in that block - can’t remember the name though. That bus station area was great - there was a pie shop around the corner - Plesteds? - and a decent pub (Not the Lord Louis!)

Good pix - thanks for posting

Plesteds 1950.

Any car enthusiasts know if the car in the photo above is a Vauxhall Ten?

Sorry to go off topic…

Was The Pub The Windsor? Remember going in their as a scrawny teenager with a group of mates to try some Marston’s Owd Roger, which I think was one of the strongest ales you could get. The Barman took a look at us and would only (quite rightly!) only serve us 1/2 Pints a 1/2 pint each :laughing: PS just checked (for spelling) and seen it is 7.4% FFS

You’re right, it was the Windsor - I may well have been there with you (certainly with Fowllyd & his bro) - but think it was mostly the Bay Tree around that time

The Bay Tree

I feel a little sad each time I’m back home and walk past what was The Bay Tree on my way to St Mary’s. It was you who first introduced me to the delights of Gales HSB and The Bay Tree. It really was a life changing moment - no more Lager and Limes for me ever!!

2 Likes

Originally posted by @M8D7C

Plesteds - 1950’s

Pp

There was record shop in that block - can’t remember the name though. That bus station area was great - there was a pie shop around the corner - Plesteds? - and a decent pub (Not the Lord Louis!)

Good pix - thanks for posting

Plesteds 1950.

Any car enthusiasts know if the car in the photo above is a Vauxhall Ten?

Sorry to go off topic…

Was The Pub The Windsor? Remember going in their as a scrawny teenager with a group of mates to try some Marston’s Owd Roger, which I think was one of the strongest ales you could get. The Barman took a look at us and would only (quite rightly!) only serve us 1/2 Pints a 1/2 pint each :laughing: PS just checked (for spelling) and seen it is 7.4% FFS

The Bay Tree

I feel a little sad each time I’m back home and walk past what was The Bay Tree on my way to St Mary’s. It was you who first introduced me to the delights of Gales HSB and The Bay Tree. It really was a life changing moment - no more Lager and Limes for me ever!!

A pleasure - you can thank me in beer the next time you’re back!

1 Like

Hey lifeintheslowlane, any joy with those pictures? I am still waiting for my books to turn up!

I promise to get some done tomorrow…I’ll get the scanner warmed up. :lou_smiley:

1 Like

OK here’s a couple of teasers to keep you going…

Not sure if either of these figure in the previous pages but I’m sure some of you won’t have seen these before.

Ages since I saw a horse and cart in Regents Park Road…probably a Brown & Harrisons early morning milk delivery around 1963. :lou_wink_2:

1 Like

My dad had been collecting paintings of Southampton (much to my mum’s annoyance). Next time I am down will get a few pictures of them.

Edit

PS if the photos are out of books it would be good to credit the photographer if possible and author of book.

1 Like

I really like this pen and ink drawing of the walled town around 1500. Not sure when this was drawn or how historically accurate all the building detail is but the major features of the old town look to be accurate.

Any of these pictures will draw up larger and in correct proportions in your browser if you right click and “open image in new tab”

3 Likes

Originally posted by @lifeintheslowlane

OK here’s a couple of teasers to keep you going…

Not sure if either of these figure in the previous pages but I’m sure some of you won’t have seen these before.

Ages since I saw a horse and cart in Regents Park Road…probably a Brown & Harrisons early morning milk delivery around 1963. :lou_wink_2:

What’s happened to Costco?

I used to restore old engravings, lithographs and maps as a spin-off to a hobby of collecting antiquarian books. I had a couple of friends at work who used to be dealers in the same. This brought me a passing knowledge in antiquarian engravings of Southampton and surrounding areas in days before the Internet made this kind of knowledge more widely known.

The well known illustrated books of old Southampton included the best known and most reproduced prints of Phillip Brannon but my favourite was a book called _“Vestiges of Old Southampton” _by Frank McFadden. I suppose my friends an I felt some kind of affinity with Frank as he worked for many years as an engraver at the O.S. in London Road, where we worked too.

Funny thing is one of my friends had a mint copy of his book “Vestiges of Old Southampton” and in the early '90s thought it worth around £400…today you can find one on the internet for much less…global access makes everything “less rare”.

Here are a few examples of the afore mentioned book which only had 12 prints…1891.

5 Likes

4 Likes

Jeez Intiniki, I will get onto that when I have spare few days! :lou_wink_2:. I also need to credit my own family and friends? Where will it end, where?!

John, those engravings are great. Thanks for posting.

I’ve long been interested in local history and quite enjoy reading old travel guides etc of the area, which, as I expect you already know, can often be downloaded for free as ebooks from google books. For instance, the one below is from 1830. Of course, the engravings aren’t to the standard of those that you’ve posted.

1 Like

Yeah Frank McFadden’s engravings are beautiful and factually correct for the simple reason a friend of his took photographs of the views and Frank made the engravings from the originals. Over the years the OS had quite a few R.A.s. Hopefully I will have a copy of his book I found in the US in the next few weeks so I’ll add the remaining engravings in this thread.

In my early years at the OS there were still people who could correct spelling mistakes on printing plates, laying on their backs under printng presses, with a needle-point. I wasn’t one of them. :lou_wink_2:

1 Like

View across Southampton Old Docks 1966. The view across to the New Docks shows 3 Union Castle ship abreast adjacent to Mayflower Park…laid-up during the 1966 seaman’s strike. Far distant is Queen Elizabeth.

1 Like

Great picture and great that I get to be the 1,000 poster on this thread. I can retire now!

1 Like