:southampton: šŸ–¼ Southampton - Past in pictures - places & people

Originally posted by @Sfcsim

Had big parties upstairs here :lou_wink_2:

1 Like

isnā€™t it a bit of a hassle to open a new comment to post a new pic each time? Rather than paste several photos into one comment?

Hey, only just seen this. I find it very hard to copy and paste, trim down the link in notes and post multiples on my iPad. It should be easy, but it seems to fuck up, by either getting rid of earlier posts in the same comment of deleting everything. Not sure what I am doing wrong, or it is the iPad faff, but I know what you are saying and did try! :lou_facepalm_2:

1 Like

Tablets/pads not ideal for that.

1 Like

Donā€™t care how you do it ā€¦ just keep em coming!!

Didnā€™t that used to be on the corner of the car park of Bernard Street, near Oxford Street, now a bunch of bedsits/flats??

Pray tell, where did that use(d sp??) to be?

Thereā€™s a blast from the past - Good place for underage drinking. That and the winning post

I think it has run its course. I do have some more as I buy Southampton books all the time, but as others have said there are other sites offering the same on the web. I may post the last few, but have enjoyed looking around the rest of Sotonians forum. :lou_sunglasses:

1 Like

Not sure how I missed this thread but its been amazing - so many memories come flooding back. the brilliance of these photos are that they arenā€™t picture postcard shots of the bargate but roads I walked down as a kid. Just happy somone had the idea to take aphoto.

The one that really caught me up sharp and made me feel a bit odd was the hippos outside sainburys.

Thanks buddy, top top work

3 Likes

The Hippos was a favourite of mine as well. So many memories of a Saturday morning trip with my nan, then a play on the hippos. So many every other weekends in the early 80ā€™s.

there are many facebook pages with old photos now as well.

The problem is I lost many hours/days and weeks posting them, but enjoyed it, as I love this sort of thing, My late dad, used to have loads of these past and present books while growing up and I loved them. After he died I go a load of them.

The other problem is that you guys could lose hours looking through them, sometimes I study a photo for ages! :lou_lol:

1 Like

Originally posted by @Intiniki

Originally posted by @Intiniki

isnā€™t it a bit of a hassle to open a new comment to post a new pic each time? Rather than paste several photos into one comment?

Hey, only just seen this. I find it very hard to copy and paste, trim down the link in notes and post multiples on my iPad. It should be easy, but it seems to fuck up, by either getting rid of earlier posts in the same comment of deleting everything. Not sure what I am doing wrong, or it is the iPad faff, but I know what you are saying and did try! :lou_facepalm_2:

Tablets/pads not ideal for that.

Saying this I did find it easy to take the photos and save to an ipad, rather than using a camera and uploading to a PC, so swings and roundabouts.

Just ordered some more books, so may post some more, but just not so often.

Bit busy this week but Iā€™ll try to dig out some of my books and scan some pictures towards the end of the week.

2 Likes

That would be great. Would love to see some others post something different. The problem with the books are they are a bit samey.

Plesteds - 1950ā€™s

Originally posted by @SO5-4BW

Pp

There was record shop in that block - canā€™t remember the name though. That bus station area was great - there was a pie shop around the corner - Plesteds? - and a decent pub (Not the Lord Louis!)

Good pix - thanks for posting

Plesteds 1950.

Any car enthusiasts know if the car in the photo above is a Vauxhall Ten?

Sorry to go off topicā€¦

Used to be a well respected place in Soton but now it is no moreā€¦

Was The Pub The Windsor? Remember going in their as a scrawny teenager with a group of mates to try some Marstonā€™s Owd Roger, which I think was one of the strongest ales you could get. The Barman took a look at us and would only (quite rightly!) only serve us 1/2 Pints a 1/2 pint each :laughing: PS just checked (for spelling) and seen it is 7.4% FFS

Must dig through some of my granparents photos as they had plenty and I know my granddad had a ā€˜oldā€™ car, but not sure what sort of car. I may also dig up a few of Southampton that have not been seen before. They are at my sisters, so the next time I am down in Southampton.