šŸŽ‚ Sotonians milestones

Penblwydd Hapus I Ti, nice youā€™ve brought the sun down with you. Watch out for the tractors & trailers, silage isnā€™t it.

6 Likes

Fuck me. Whose coat is that jacket? :slight_smile:

1 Like

My grandad was a uni mate of Kingsley Amis.

Name dropper badge for Intiniki here

1 Like

Oi! Thatā€™s my job!

1 Like

My granddad knew Lloyd George.

2 Likes

Did you vote for him?

4 Likes

They were mates with Phillip Larkin too. He was one of the group of Seven. From his obituary - was one of ā€œthe Sevenā€, the group of Oxford University friends that also included Philip Larkin and Kingsley Amis. There was some Tory MP too. Though he was defo not a Tory.
He was also taught by JRR Tolkien.

Name dropping for grandparents doesnā€™t really feel like itā€™s mine.

No I was too young, although I would have voted for my dad. He stood as a Labour candidate in a Southampton Council electionā€¦and lost.

1 Like

My aunt was Mayor of Southampton. Also Labour.

1 Like

My dadā€™s active Labour days were when Horace King was MP. Used to hold meetings in our living room in the mid '50s.

My grandad lost a finger in a ball bearing factoryā€¦ there is a bearing with his DNA still out thereā€¦ one day I will search this out

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been down the hospital today. I thought it was for the eye injections, but it was actually for the counselling service and to see an optician about magnifiers, lights and suchlike.

After a very patchy and quite scary start, Iā€™ve been able to do my job competently for the last four weeks. Major improvement after drinking all that Conflux at Unity Brewing Co St. Denys. Just a shame that @saintbletch was one of the first things I saw better again.

Anyways, the appointment with the optician was interesting. Lovely lady in her fifties. She was thrilled to see me read loads of shit I couldnā€™t read a month ago, and while I could have taken a slightly better prescription, I said Iā€™d see how the rest of the treatment went before committing to new frames.

Favourite moment was when I confessed ā€œI am not going to lie to you. I have not looked after myself well this month. Iā€™ve been out drinking with my mates in Southampton and Iā€™ve been to Glastonbury.ā€

She laughed and said that Glastonbury probably helped.

She also said I am not low-sighted anymore. Huzzah!

10 Likes

Well, they do say every silver lining has a cloudā€¦

Nice one mate - really pleased to hear that!

2 Likes

Great news and youā€™ve got taller as well?

3 Likes

Iā€™ve got thinner.

Again, Glastonbury. Eight quid a meal, init.

Good news. Keep the liquid intake up, itā€™s obviously paying dividends.

2 Likes

Ah, you canā€™t have looked very hard. 5 quid meal deals all over the place.

Oh waitā€¦ :roll_eyes::star_struck::sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

The whole saga has been a pretty profound one for me, but thinking back on it, it must have been fucking edifying for the optician too.

Same shit went down in the left eye thirty years ago. I felt a fool for not getting it seen to sooner , but was assured today that it wouldnā€™t have mattered. This treatment didnā€™t exist 30 years ago.

The optician has spent the vast majority of her career telling people like me that things arenā€™t getting any better.

It is profoundly humbling to think how much human effort went into stopping the worst effects of this condition and being a beneficiary of such effort.

@pap You should pop over to the Unity Brewing twitter feed and tell them that their Conflux has medicinal properties :wink:

2 Likes