Social Integration is not happening

These ‘cells’ that are carrying out thes eattacks, are doing so to cast division and mistrust…its why such displays of unity are so important. If we react with more ingrained suspision, we paly into their hands and delievr what they are after… unity and further intergration is the way to defeat them.

3 Likes

I am not sure how anyone could see the comforting of someone in torment could see this as a bad thing. I can see how those who hate the Muslims and want to demonise them all would not like it.

7 Likes

Couldn’t embrace the Imam?

Why not?

Someone shows you compassion when you are at the lowest point of any parents life and you can’t understand what it means to the parents. I feel sad for you. That man didn’t commit or condone what happened, he only offered support to people that needed it.

Watch it again and look how the parents react. That tells you everything that’s important.

11 Likes

If you are trying to create division and a holy war through random acts of indiscriminate terror, nothing confirms that you are wasting your time and your whole life, better than people of different faiths comforting each other.

7 Likes

Yeah I’m just being honest. I don’t know… its an incredibly overwhelming piece of footage. Too much so for me I guess. I can’t imagine what it’d be like to lose a child but I don’t think I could muster any positive or compassionate emotion for weeks or months even. I think I’d just be totally numb.

I guess it’d be like if I had a son killed by Liverpool-supporting football hooligans and I had the chance to hug people in Liverpool shirts outside Anfield. I’d just find it quite difficult (as irrational as that would be).

I think the irrational, tribal part of my brain would simply win. As I say, that’s probably not a good thing, I’m not quite sure its necessarily a terribly bad thing. I’m just being honest.

Wow

2 Likes

It’s those with ‘irrational tribal parts of the brain’ that those committing these sickening crimes are able to get to… plays into their hands. On the flip side, it’s also the language of our own right wing extremist groups from the BNP to the EDL who use the emotional complexity of such situations to also create division … ‘how could you ever trust a … if it had been your child…’

2 Likes

An interesting and strange comparison. I would say the two things are comparable but then my brain isnt wired to a far right mentality so what do I know? Of course you would be numb. Do you not think that the family is still numb? Why would you block off compassion from where ever it came from? I have lost a number of loved ones over the years. Although I have been numb I have not been so disfunctional that I have distanced myself from anyone offering sympathy and compassion. If I were you, and I am only being honest here, I would worry about how I see the world. You clearly have an issue with a man of faith offering up sympathy to someone who is grieving and needs comfort. You equate that with Liverpool football hooligans and other Liverpool football supporters. You seem confused over the way that innocent and caring people interact with each other. This comes as no surprise as you clearly see this forum as a bunch of lefties that normally make you chuckle with their leftyness. Why is that? It is because, like many from the right, you have little empathy and see anyone who doesnt see the world in your well defined, black and white way, as being deluded. No doubt, slave traders were only being honest when they decided that black people were second class citizens and we only worthy to be sold as chattel. The people who carry out these despicable crimes are scum. The people who offer up comfort in times of abject grief are decent human beings - be they men of faith or ordinary people wearing football shirts - and show the difference between the two. If you have problems with that, I feel sorry for you.

Just being honest.

Not exclusive to the right imo.

Tramps is off base here I reckon, but his mistake is trying to anticipate how he might feel if he suffered similar trauma. Such speculations are never likely to be accurate. We may as well wait for the circumstance to arise, before accusing Tramps of lacking basic human emotion.

3 Likes

Can whoever hacked @bearsy 's account please not post again, it’s almost as bad as when @old-ottery has a lucid post!!

2 Likes

Maybe not exclusively, but you do have to have a particluar mind set to see “foreign” people as less worthy no matter whether they are good or bad. I am not saying that he doesnt have basic human emotion, but I am saying that the way that emotion is filtered seems to be through some basic tribal wiring, as he has suggested himself.

Simply it’s the power of empathy…the power of love…sincerely offered should never be questioned but always shared.

1 Like

Nicely put! You could get a job with Disney! :lou_wink:

Naa…last year’s Christmas cracker. :lou_wink_2:

When did I say “foreign people” are less worthy of anything?

You didn’t. I was using the term as in different.

This is probably the most disconnected post I’ve ever read here, so I’ll try and unpack it and respond as best I can.

“I would say the two things are comparable but then my brain isnt wired to a far right mentality so what do I know?”

Not sure what you mean by this but if you’re arguing that the two things (Muslims/extremist Muslims and Liverpool supporters/extremist Liverpool supporters) are *not* comparable then I’d like to hear why not.

“Do you not think that the family is still numb? Why would you block off compassion from where ever it came from?”

I wouldn’t ‘block’ anything off, my emotions would be involuntary. Bearsy’s right in that I can’t be certain how I’d react but as I say, my best guess is that I’d just be totally numb for at least a month or so.

"I have been numb I have not been so disfunctional that I have distanced myself from anyone offering sympathy and compassion. "

Again, you seem to be telling me how to feel.

“You clearly have an issue with a man of faith offering up sympathy to someone who is grieving and needs comfort.”

No I don’t

“You equate that with Liverpool football hooligans and other Liverpool football supporters.”

Yes. I really don’t see how the comparison is inaccurate. By all means tell me why it isn’t.

“This comes as no surprise as you clearly see this forum as a bunch of lefties that normally make you chuckle with their leftyness.”

Not necessarily. I tend to chuckle at virtue-signalling but by-and-large, I was hoping to exchange ideas with people who might disagre with me. I don’t want to live in an echo-chamber, I’d rather expand my horizons. Similarly, as the forum is overwhelmingly white, middle-aged, middle-class and well-off, I thought I might have something to offer as someone who doesn’t fit that social strata, particularly on the EU debate thread when I first joined, where many of the posters were speaking for ‘young people’ despite not being a young person themself. Anyway, that’s why I joined originally. If I’m just plainly insulted, then sure, I’ll probably just shrug and laugh.

“Why is that? It is because, like many from the right, you have little empathy and see anyone who doesnt see the world in your well defined, black and white way, as being deluded.”

Weren’t you opposed to tribalism a minute ago? I identify as right-wing because I believe in free speech and the free exchange of ideas.

“No doubt, slave traders were only being honest when they decided that black people were second class citizens and we only worthy to be sold as chattel.”

…this is just a derranged thing to say. It sounds like you’re trying to imply something without saying it, but I’ll leave it to you if you want to try and make things clearer.

“The people who carry out these despicable crimes are scum. The people who offer up comfort in times of abject grief are decent human beings - be they men of faith or ordinary people wearing football shirts - and show the difference between the two. If you have problems with that, I feel sorry for you.”

I don’t ‘have problems’ with that, I’m simply reporting what I think my reaction would be. I don’t think I’d be in any fit emotional state to really accept anything from anyone. That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t appreciate the compassion shown by well-meaning people, but as I say, I’d just be totally numbed, possibly suicidal and utterly fucked up in the head for a good month or so - and the very thought of such a scenario makes it difficult for me to ‘know how to feel’ about the video if that makes any sense.

This will appear patronising itself but It does not help the tramp cause that many of your posts begin with a rather condescending and patronising tone… as the one above.

We all have varying skills in how we articulate and structure posts - many are done in a hurry so it’s natural some are maybe ‘disconnected’ as you suggest, but as I may have mentioned before, do not make the mistake of thinking the eloquence of a post is a mark of validity of the opinion or argument…

The video has nothing to do with how those parents feel about the loss of their child. They look pretty ‘numb’ to me and in a hell of an emotional state. But the point is that these parents are simply demonstrating that they dont consider a whole culture or segment of society to blame for the actions of a individuals. That is a hugely important point in this context where the very aim of the perpetrators is to undermine this.

No one is doubting that the loss of a child will plunge anyone into a nightmare of confusion and grief BUT it remains fundamental that you can’t blame all for the actions of a few.

The point being made is that if you would accept the compassion and understanding of relatives and friends you should accept the compassion and understanung of anyone not involved. By suggesting you could not see yourself in that couples place, you inadvertently suggest it’s because you can’t differentiated between the individuals who committed the hideous act and the race, religion, or cultural group they belong to… and that is what is considered rather worrying.

I suspect that is not the intention of your post, it might help if you clarify?

5 Likes

I’m confused.

Normality resumed :lou_wink_2: