Site suggestions and feature requests

All I got was this:

Received Private Messages

No message. When I click on the bearsy thing, a dumb pciture of a bear comes up. Was this the message?

Edit - delete that. I found the message and it wasn’t safe for work virgins like big gay bob. Hopefully that link didn’t work or I could get more papfractions.

Cheers bear… the girls in the office loved that!

i keep seeing beltchface in places that i don’t want to see beltchface, i.e. check this out why am i getting beltchface in topright? Is there anyway to turn i.e. beltchface=off?

I feel guilty bout giving pap too many jobs to do, forgetaboutit pap, just take weekend off, everything is ok really x

Nah, needs to be reported, but as it goes, had seen it anyway. Looking into it.

Fixed.

You don’t need to link your YouTube videos, muckers. Just copy and paste the link, and job is a good un.

To help you track that down papster, I think I open the reply in a new tab - i.e. CTRL + Click on QUOTE to open the quote box in a new tab.

Wouldn’t have thought it should have caused that, but I don’t think I’ve done that before.

Anyway, FYI.

You’ve changed.

You never used to be able to get enough Bletch head.

Just an update on current stuff in progress. Some of the embed stuff isn’t working correctly at the moment with vids, etc - especially if someone links the vid in question. That is presently priority number one. Second thing on the go is remembering what post you were on, as this is now starting to piss me off as much as anybody :slight_smile:

papster, not sure if it’s just me, but I’m experiencing some slowing down in the serving of pages. I can see pauses of up to 5-6 seconds before anything gets sent to the browser. I’ll see if I can monitor it and look for patterns/something you can reproduce.

Come on papster, sort it out - I don’t pay £5…Oh, yeah, good point Bletch.

papster, the striketrough link on the TinyMCE toolbar seems to insert a <span></span> pair of tags and not a <strike></strike> / <s></s> pair.

i.e. the word struckout should appear formatted as strikethrough.

However, if I hover over the struckout text, the bottom line of the editor shows that the following formatting is applied.

p » span

Might have something to do with the tech and a combination of our relatively low usage. Basically, the web server will spin down if no-one is using it, and spin back up on demand when someone requests a page. The additional overheads can make first time requests a little slower than they need to be.

papster, the butler badge is broken!

Or at least it is for me.

You should get it on your next post.

Just in case anyone else spotted this; there were some connection issues a wee while back, for me at least. I’ve made a couple of config changes and am going to monitor.

papster, currently (4:20pm) seeing about a 5-10 second delay before the server sends anything to the browser.

See here - http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/#!/SEdw4/http://www.sotonians.com

Once the server starts to respond to the browser request, everything happends pretty quickly. Does the site architecture have background tasks? Are some running at the moment?

Will keep an eye on it.

How do I set myself to ignore? I keep posting utter shit, and frankly I would rather not see posts made by twats like me.

2 Likes

Yeah, I spotted some seriously slowdown at around the same time and was investigating. Haven’t changed anything, but the site seems to be performant again.

i’m finding it the same as always cos i always get 5-10 seconds delay. The only time i don’t get 5-10 second delay, is when i get 11-infinity delay.

is it cos my computer is v.bad + windows XP? I don’t get delay on i.e. other websites tho.

Edit: Soz I’m actually not getting bad delays now soz

Originally posted by @Bearsy

i’m finding it the same as always cos i always get 5-10 seconds delay. The only time i don’t get 5-10 second delay, is when i get 11-infinity delay.

is it cos my computer is v.bad + windows XP? I don’t get delay on i.e. other websites tho.

I’m not being scuppered by that much, but I am noticing variable performance on some pages. Not that this will be of any interest to you, but it looks like there are multiple things that can be done in terms of speeding that up, from adding new indexes (helpers) to moving to a more performant box.

tks pap i was prob exaggerate a bit, but what it does do v.often, is when i do a post it hangs for like 30 seconds to a minute or something like that…

is it cos ure having my posts vetted before they go up, or something like that?