Site suggestions and feature requests

When someone posts a link, is it possible to have it open in a new tab on your browser, rather than stay in the same tab? I’d also echo Lou’s query above re images from local PCs.

It’s possible, and for some reasons, it’s preferable. However, it’s the sort of thing that costs a bit of wonga over time, can leave the site open to certain types of attack, and there are much larger companies offering that stuff free and easy.

Example? If you create a Twitter account just for posting public images, you’ve got free hosting and don’t have to bugger about with FTP, etc. Just post the image to Twitter and link it here (right click and copy image location).

There is an option to do that on the editor itself. If you’re posting, you can set the link to open in a new window. On a tabbed browser, that will open a new tab.

Alternatively, could put some code in to just make that the default, whatever.

I use a free image hosting company called http://pomf.se/

It’s free, very quick, and no registration is required.

1 Like

Or tinypic.com, even gives you the links to paste into the forum…

Mine’s better, Lou.

Pap, I don’t know if I’m missing something but I have the following problem:

Because I’m not very good at spelling, I prefer to write my posts on something like Open Office with a spell checker then copy and paste them. I can’t seem to do that on here.

Originally posted by @Halo-Stickman

Pap, I don’t know if I’m missing something but I have the following problem:

Because I’m not very good at spelling, I prefer write my posts on something like Open Office with a spell checker then copy and paste them. I can’t seem to do that on here.

I’ve just created this post in LibreOffice (a variant of Open Office) and copied and pasted it in here.

A couple of suggestions; first – make sure you’ve definitely clicked the cursor in the editor window before pasting. I usually paste with the Ctrl-V keystroke. The other thing to be aware of is special characters and/or formatting that your word processor might put around stuff, particularly if you are shrinking text, etc. If you’re still having problems, try pasting into a plain text editor like Notepad, then re-copy and paste from there.

1 Like

Cheers Pap, I’ll try that and see how I get on.

If you can read this then you will know that it’s worked!

Yes!! **Ctrl-V ** worked fine. Nice one mate.

@Halo Stickman, why not install a spell checker extension in your browser of choice?

Ist waht eye do

@Pap for the email notification, is it possible to have the thread discussion title in the subject, that is instead of a subject of “New Post On Sotonians - Team, City and People” we’d have “New Post On Sotonians - Team, City and People : Site suggestions and feature requests” for replies to this thread discussion

At risk of me coming across as a complete dimbo, I don’t suppose you could give me some tips on how to do that could you, Bob?

(Hope you don’t mind me calling you Bob, Bob)

@pap strikethrough doesn’t find it’s way into the post proper, it’s there in the editor but when you hit add post it goes…

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This may well be a bit of a daft suggestion, but I’ll make it anyway.

Some times - i.e. next week - I go away to places where for various reasons I find it difficult to go online.

I’m reluctant to post immediately before these times because I wouldn’t want someone to reply to one of my posts and then think that I’m ignoring them.

Therefore, I was wondering whether it would be useful to have some sort of facility whereby posters could leave a message that they might be unable to reply for a certain time period.

hi pap i know there is tickbox or something but can you change it so it default assumes i don’t want to be emailed every time a bro replies to a thread i started, cos i always forget to uncheck the box and now i’m spamming the fuck out of myself ok pls tks

^^^^^ Haaaaa

changed mind can you just redirect all my mails to spooders email pls ok tks

hi also i sent tokyos a pm earlier and when i go to inbox it says i have pm from tokyos but when i open it it’s just the pm i sent to him what is up with that can you tell tokyos to reply to my pm pls

Maybe he just sent you the same mail back Bear, did you think of that?

tbf that is just the kind of dick move that tokyos would do we will have to check with him prob so don’t worry bout this one just yet pap ok tks