šŸ”ˆ Site announcement: Things that we think you should know

Originally posted by @pap

Underneath the surface, things are already happening. Every time someone gets mentioned, we record :-

1) Who mentioned them.
2) Where they were mentioned.
3) What they were mentioned as.

Fuck, scaryā€¦

9 Likes

Fair enough.

Iā€™ll give it a fair go.

If nothing else it gives us an opportunity to introduce members to some of our more dusty and unexplored usernames: @mike-hunt

2 Likes

None taken.

I can see the benefits - Iā€™m just struggling with the design on my lap top. All the strong bold, bright colours, are really distracting, making it harder to readā€¦

Is there any need for bolding? Can we go for something a bit more subtle like a nice underline, or just a colour change?

1 Like

Noooooo! They got Lou as wellā€¦

My evenings viewingā€¦

Originally posted by @areloa-grandee

Underneath the surface, things are already happening. Every time someone gets mentioned, we record :-

1) Who mentioned them.
2) Where they were mentioned.
3) What they were mentioned as.

Fuck, scaryā€¦

Beat me to it, Chutters.

Mainly due to me not having a fecking clue how to. Nor the inclination to learn.

@couldnā€™tgiveatoss.

4 Likes

1. will drive a lot of the fun around here. I knew up front that people would try to fuck with the names, so rather than resist that, I thought Iā€™d capitalise on it. So when I refer to my co-mod as a @saintbletch -that gets recorded as something he gets called. Later on, weā€™ll be able to do fun charts which show peopleā€™s nicknames.

Interesting!

@bearsy

@bearsy

@bearsy

@bearsy

@bearsy

@bearsy

@bearsy

@bearsy

@bearsy

@bearsy

@bearsy

2 Likes

1984?

Fuck off. Where were you lot when I was complaining about the Snooperā€™s Charter or the fucking Enabling Act?

Horse has well and truly bolted on that one, fine fillies.

Next time, Iā€™d advise keeping a closer eye on your government than you do with web devs, eh @areloa-grandee ? :lou_lol:

Originally posted by @areloa-grandee

Originally posted by @Coxford_lou

I can see the benefits - Iā€™m just struggling with the design on my lap top. All the strong bold, bright colours, are really distracting, making it harder to readā€¦

Is there any need for bolding? Can we go for something a bit more subtle like a nice underline, or just a colour change?

Noooooo! They got Lou as wellā€¦

I was trying to be nice as Pap has obviously put a lot of work into this, and you lot are being meanies!!

1 Like

This is how it looks in a message:

This is how it looks on the home page:

Is that how it looks for everyone else?

@coxford_lou , if youā€™ve got the time to mock up some colour alternatives Iā€™ll create a poll to see what people prefer.

In fact, you donā€™t have to mock them up, just give the web colour codes (#000000-#ffffff) for background/foreground, and Iā€™ll create the mock-ups and put up a poll.

My autism kicks in when I see garish colours (no offence @pap ) so I had to change mine by editing the CSS for the site.

On fonts, I can also point you to the font choices that we have too. ( @pap do we potentially have access to all of the web fonts in the Google Fonts repository?)

I guess that in the FULLNESS OF TIME (dev speak for may never happen), we can have user settings for the colours and fonts that the site uses.

OK - if you can send me stuff now, Iā€™ll have a go tonightā€¦ But I donā€™t think it needs to be much different to how it is now - just stripped back a bit. Is there a reason it needs a different font colour and different background colour?

Font wise, itā€™s probably more of a testing issue. I think Pap has chosen a nice font, it just doesnā€™t look so nice on desktop.

fk off it looks bigger than that

1 Like

What font is this, btw?

Originally posted by @Bearsy

fk off it looks bigger than that

Youā€™re definitely well stacked!

All you need to do is pick some foreground/background colour combinations for the mention where the name is not interfered withā€¦

@coxford_lou

and for where the poster has been interfered withā€¦

@coxford_lou *

There is no need to have a background colour at all, but I think papā€™s thinking is that the colours need a significantly different treatment so that they stand out and are each differentiated. This is easier with a background colour.

We need normal text (currently black on white), a normal mention (currently red on grey) and interfered-with mentions (currently blue on yellow).

With a white background, these three colours will have to be different enough so we can see the different text types (normal/mention/interfered-with mention).

Teaching you to suck eggs here, but that means standing out on a retina display in your living room as well as on a mobile in bright sunlight.

Obviously, @pap went for some colours with a Saints connection.

Thereā€™s your brief, @coxford_lou . Donā€™t let us down!

*Sorry for interfering with you, @coxford_lou , but you were asking for it**.

**Literally.

Iā€™ll have a go, but donā€™t expect too much - Iā€™m not a web designer!