:saints: Saints v Arsenal :arsenalfc: (PL)

Much rather have Valery than Cedric too.

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/SouthamptonFC/status/1074332122234654720

3 Likes

Couple of last ditch tackles from Bednarek were sensational

5 Likes

Yep, he looked calm and confident. Had a really decent game.

1 Like

Looling frward to watcjin next game in Krakow
Gonna have to pack this shirt

Polskie Saints

1 Like

The last time I saw such an impact in our style of play from one manager to the next was when Pochettino came in.

He took us to train in Barcelona and we came back a different team.

But what Hutch did here today was arguably even more impressive. One week of training where he worked a lot on fitness and he had us really convincingly pressing as a team - giving Arsenal a lot of problems at times. Their right and left back were pinned back for large chunks of the game because both Valery and Targett were in such advanced positions.

When Hughes tried three CBs, both Bertrand and Cedric simply fell into a back 5 and hardly got forward. Targett and Valery were so advanced today that I wondered if it wasn’t a little irresponsible. Well played Hutch.

I also note that Ings said we’d been working on crosses all week - and we get three headed goals - from crosses. Targett’s first cross was sublime.

Truly impressive.

10 Likes

https://twitter.com/LukeBenali/status/1074304845279059968

1 Like

Redmond was excellent today. Bednarek too.
Top atmosphere, great game, brilliant effort.

7 Likes

Yep. Redmond excellent again. Still got a shit left foot though :lou_wink_2:

2 Likes

Great game, both sides playing all-out for the win. Definitely deserved the win but even before the 90 minutes were up people were leaving early.

WTF will their team have to do to get them to stay to the final whistle and applaud their team off the park. Nobody gave me the courtesy of an answer. :lou_facepalm_2:

3 Likes

Bouncing!
Fyi
Not scored a header all season. Now 1st team to score 3 headed goals in an EFL game since WBA in 2016

3 Likes

Today would have ordinarily been classified as one of those ‘free swing’ games that we’d have seen pass us by.

I am pissed but fair fucking play to the new bloke! Happy as a pig in shit!

COYS!

Xxxx

4 Likes

To expand on my earlier post (written in the Rockstone, where I was enjoying a quiet celebratory pint all on my lonesome :cry:), I’d have to agree with many others’ posts.

I thought the defence played well, though of the three Bednarek stood out. Vestergaard and Yoshida both put in good performances, the odd error here and there but no truly horrible howlers. No real moments of utter panic either, which was very good to see.

In midfield (we did, after all, play a 3-4-3 formation) Valery looked really good, Targett rather less so - though in fairness the latter was up against two very quick players in the first half (Bellerin and Lichtsteiner) and as he has no pace himself he was always going to struggle. Wonderful cross for that first goal though. Romeu did indeed look a little off, particularly compared to how brilliant he was week in, week out two seasons ago. But it looks as if Ralph likes him, and he’ll get better the more he plays I reckon. Hojbjerg was just superb.

Redmond, Ings and Armstrong were all good - you could see how much we’d missed Ings in particular. Redmond gave their defenders the shits all game until he had to go off, then Long proceeded to do much the same. Austin looked sharper and even quicker than I can ever recall seeing him.

Above all, though, the players looked like they knew how they were expected to play, what they were expected to do - and they did it. Not only that, but they looked like they really enjoyed playing that way. So I’d say they’ve really bought into Ralph’s ethos, which can only be a good thing.

Yes, it’s only one game, but I can’t think of the last time we played so well.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t disagree with that assessment other than I’d give Long more praise, he was back to how he was 3 years ago, albeit for a brief bit but he can still cause mayhem and pull opposition out of position for others to take up space.
The only way we’re going to get out of the shit is by playing this % game, it won’t always work but it’ll be better to watch and we will get some results our way, this is why Hughes played the % game the other way, he knew we’re a poorish team but was negative about it, go out fighting at least.
It worked today and it was brilliant.

3 Likes

The only thing we need to do this year is stay up

Then we can play

2 Likes

I’m not falling for this again gavstar.

5 Likes

I had to check twice to make sure it wasn’t me.

5 Likes

Wasn’t it great to see our manager showing emotion, metaphorically kicking every ball, sharing the moment with the players? Such a contrast to watching the dour faced Hughes, grimacing on the touchline. We were well worth that win, Arsenal had a 22 match unbeaten run before today, it can’t be stressed enough what an achievement that was to end it. There is no question that Hassenhuttl has something about him, i watched the game in a bar in Thailand with a mixture of Evertonians, Liverpool, Man U and a couple of Sunderland supporters, they all said the same thing. And they were all really pleased for me, there is so much goodwill towards The Saints from neutral supporters, especially from the older generation. That is mainly down to Le Tiss. A Long standing Liverpool supporter confessed that Le Tiss was the only player from any club apart from Liverpool who’s poster was on his bedroom wall when he was growing up. Everyone agreed . A great result, now onwards and upwards.

8 Likes

I tell you every week to come back to The Guide Dog> You miserable, lonely, old git!

1 Like

Fuck it, you’re right. Ah well, next time and all that…