đŸ‡·đŸ‡ș Russia

Do you also think that the UK owes reparations to Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, etc, etc, etc and if not why not?

1 Like

It was an issue for Yeltsin before Putin, Russia have repeatedly been banging on about it since 2008. What makes you say it’s a red herring?

Not considered it to be honest.

I’m not sure that splitting the country would be his first choice. By splitting the country he loses influence over potential Ukrainian governments but that’s where he is now. Splitting the country is for sure a more rational proposition than trying to take and hold the whole thing but I don’t know his mind anymore than you do.

I really wonder what his plans for Kiev are though. I think the slow rumble of huge forces towards Kiev is intended to be performative. I think he wants the people of Kiev to feel terror over a sustained period for their wills to be broken and for them to really understand and feel that NATO and the West don’t give a shit about them.

That is an interesting take and plausible, although wonder if that is now a plan B, ie making the best of a bad hand. By letting their enemy organise and dig in, they just make their life a lot harder

Yes quite possibly but what has that got to do with this Russian invasion?

My dad who is the same age as and grew up a few streets away from Putin in Leningrad spent 30 years working a menial role for the NHS (despite having a 5 year degree in industrial economics) and has a tiny pension that barely pays the bills. He does his weekly shopping in one of those supermarkets which are basically one step up from a food bank. My grandmother died last year leaving him a flat in Moscow and he was hoping that once the 6 months of probate was over he would be able to sell it and use the cash to pay off some of his mortgage in the UK. Now he’s stranded in the UK with British people frothing at the mouth calling to strip away his British citizenship. If he is somehow able to arrange the sale of his flat in Russia remotely he won’t be able to extract the cash. He also can’t access the meagre Russian pension that he has earned.

My dad can only occasionally afford to shop there anymore but do you think it is only oligarchs that shop in those Natasha shops in Portswood and Shirley?

1 Like

Not if the Ukrainian army is encircled. They don’t need to do shit. Just kettle them in until negotiations are done.

I suppose what I am getting at is that if the everyone is serious about stopping this economically through sanctions, then going after a few oligarchs who will have already protected enough assets to see them live like royalty for the next hundred years isn’t going to do it.

If you sanction all Russians, then you may just start to create a degree of dissent on the home front which might just stop that mad bastard.

As for your fathers situation, I can only speak for my self in that from my POV he is a British citizen and should be treated as such. I appreciate that it doesn’t help his financial situation

A Saints related thought

What is Serbia’s position on this? Are they lining up behind Russia? Ia there a chance that sanctions could head their way?

I would have thought after reading your views on schooling that you’d have thought inheritance as a deeply unfair thing?

China is out.

We will not join such sanctions, and we will keep normal economic, trade and financial exchanges with all the relevant parties.

We disapprove of the financial sanctions, particularly those launched unilaterally, because they don’t have much legal basis and will not have good effects.

No only the fascist groups, the reasons are obvious, slav and nationalist and discontented their hold on the region has gone.
Russia is being supported by human rights super nations Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan ,Tajikistan, Cuba, Nicaragua and Venezuela
Even supergroup Iran are keeping quiet, so is China and even North Korea
Putin is out on his own and the newsfeed he is giving the Russian people is a disgrace.

Who’d have thought that? China remaining to deal with Russia as it gives them money and influence (and Russia losing a lot of it in the process).

China aren’t keeping quiet. They’re not involved in the sanctions and have criticised the Western sanctions.

I think the point is that Russia isn’t going to be sanctioned to death. It has access to the world’s biggest manufacturer.

So they’re making money and taking political advantage of the situation, that is hardly surprising (I think I wrote that 7 days ago Pap, you don’t have to be a geo-political wizard to know that) but their silence has been huge in the main.
China is very close to Ukraine and you do know the Chinese have always said all borders are sovereign so they can’t side with Russia on this, they can mediate and effectively stay silent, they’re playing the long game.
This war started by Russia will massively weaken them long term and China will be the winner.

Pap if you believe that you really do not know too much about patents, production and globalisation.
The US and China are far far too close in trade for Russia to get in the way, Russia is a fly to be swatted in global terms of money and production, now if China were to go into Taiwan then the gloves are off and its effectively a World War.

See the statement from the Chinese. Normal relations. Are you a more authoritative source on Chinese intentions than the Chinese themselves?