Religion

Originally posted by @Bearsy

Originally posted by @pap

religion is not all bad.

woah

:cool:

We are full of surprises over here.

Sorry Bear, I’ve been reading books and shit. They’re filling my head with knowledge, and one of those pieces of knowledge was that our path to being able to say whatever the fuck we like was in part, levelled out by religious peeps.

Even today, there are plenty of well meaning, non-proselytising people of faith that, guided by the messages of their faith, do decent stuff.

Now I personally happen to think that it’s a bit Dumbo’s feather, but if it works, it works.

Originally posted by @pap

The reason we can speak as freely as we are able to today is largely down to religous deviants wanting to worship in their own way. Their cast-iron beliefs laid the groundwork for people like us to be able to challenge the concept of belief in general.

Nah, you are full of shit. We have only one timeline to follow, and it includes religion. We have no way of knowing how things would have panned out without it.

For all we know, had there been no religion, we might have all been calling authority figures cunts with reckless abandon for centuries before we had the internet.

Edit: Um, I mean calling them cunts and not being hung, drawn and quatermassed btw.

The trouble is you cannot ban religion without banning free speech,

The con artists (priests) will evolve into something else to start taking your hard earned stipend.

^ But we already have advertising.

No different from fucking ‘psychics, mediums and woo pushers’ IMHO, fleecing the gullable or needy for cash in one way or another. As for the extreme ends… shows the danger of blind faith.

I’ve only just seen this, so many apologies for the delay in responding. I don’t agree. We’re happy enough to ascribe various evils of the world, so credit where its due where it has done good. You can’t deny it the achievements its adherents have made, unintentionally maybe, because we might have arrived at the same place in a hypothetical universe.

As you get older, you start to look for the good in the hope that there maybe a god. Whatever floats your boat though. I have said all along, those who believe, if it comforts them, then fair play it is doing good, fill your boots. For me it is all bollocks and made up.

If the above means I am going down, I have made my choice!

The brilliant Noam Chomsky.

1 Like

Why in this era of smartphones and alarm clocks is it still acceptable for my sense of hearing to be assaulted every 15 minutes?

Marriage eh?

Maybe this Christianity lark isn’t so bad after all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=134&v=NfRtkCGE40A

5 Likes

Children from religious families are less kind and more punitive than those from non-religious households, according to a new study.

Academics from seven universities across the world studied Christian, Muslim and non-religious children to test the relationship between religion and morality.

They found that religious belief is a negative influence on children’s altruism.

“Overall, our findings … contradict the commonsense and popular assumption that children from religious households are more altruistic and kind towards others,” said the authors of The Negative Association Between Religiousness and Children’s Altruism Across the World, published this week in Current Biology.

2 Likes

http://neuro.psychiatryonline.org/doi/full/10.1176/appi.neuropsych.11090214

I’ve just signed up to the Pastafarians…they seem to speak my kind of menu…

http://6abc.com/religion/woman-wears-colander-for-drivers-license-photo/1086557/

Buddhists seem nice.

I remember the old advert - No buts, its got to be Buddha!

Originally posted by @Rallyboy

Buddhists seem nice.

So they do… until you lose the will to live at one of their weddings… 3 hours oh ummmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm … lost the will to live had to sneak out for a fag… (twas when I used to smoke, given up since so canno longer attend Buddhist weddings) … ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg ugmm mmmmung uhmmmg … I could go on.

3 Likes

okay, single Buddhists seem nice.

1 Like

Buddhists are killing the Rohingha in Burma with out so much as a shout really, it doesn’t fit in with the agenda.

I am now godfather to another child.

Most of the time, I got away without saying anything too personally hypocritical. I did briefly consider not saying any of it. As it turns out, I said it all and belted out the songs.

So “what’s the jip, pap”, some might ask “would you do and say other things that you don’t believe in for other religions?”.

I agreed to this three years ago, and oddly enough, as far as Jesus goes, I think most of his principles are pretty decent ones to live by. I can uphold that end of the bargain.

If, however, my young charge asks me how I might go about eradicating Hittites and Canaanites, I might draw a blank.

Wasn’t a fan of the vicar. I think he’d have sold UPVC as easily with the right fervour, given an appropriate incentive.