Religion

Yes…great great grandpappy was a London Publisher. He was prosecuted for publishing “Queen Mab” by P.B. Shelley in which Shelley explores the possibility of the non-existence of God. This would have in the normal course of publishing gone unnoticed except previously that year (1841) another publisher, Henry Hetherington was sent down for 4 months for a similar offense.

Hetherington in a fit of pique didn’t see why he should be punished and not my GG Gandpappy. He puchased the book and insisted my GGG be prosectuted… https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blasphemy_law_in_the_United_Kingdom

GG grandfather was found guilty but not called for sentencing…so despite having to go through the process of law, being found guilty he wasn’t punished…so good sense prevailed.

4 Likes

Heh, that is indeed pretty interesting. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I was brought up Roman Catholic, then I learned science, couldn’t reconcile the 2 so chose the one that offered me proof.

I put myself in the “I don’t believe in a God but I believe there are higher life forms out there” camp.

For me I see religion as people needing to have a meaning to their life and something to aspire to! After all if there is no meaning and nothing to aspire to what is the point?

I like to think I have a good knowledge of all religions and try to understand peoples choices, if people what religion then let them have it. Just please don’t try and convince me that I need it because I don’t.

Religion on its own is fine, it’s when people start using it to make gain (tithes! Ever seen a poor bishop?) and subjugate the masses (do as I say not as I do otherwise you’ll spend your after life in hell!!) then it is being used wrongly.

3 Likes

If this were a thread about gun control or race issues, then yes, it would be crass. Otherwise, my observation was just a snippet of information relevant to this thread.

Regarding feeling downtrodden, I don’t particularly. Ironically, the people that complain most here about feeling persecuted tend to be Christians. Many are presently of the mindset that rights for gay people or religions other than their own are a slight against Christianity, and therefore themselves.

I’m just talking about the US perspective though, so carry on.

1 Like

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap150907.html

It’s the tithes bit that always worries me, particularly among the charismatic lot, that seek to achieve growth quickly. Even among general churchgoers, the practice of tithing is not unusual. I’ve got a mate that is something of a bad boy; his relationship with his wife never quite fit for me, big church-goer that she was not really reconciling itself with the obvious scoundrel I saw. I really didn’t know him well at this point in time either.

It turned out to be irreconcilable - they ended up splitting. He told me that the church made more and more demands of her time to the point where it became unbearable. His story, f’sure, but I have run into some other interesting characters in my time, including some people that had decided a particular thing was no longer for them. I’d hate to be in their shoes, because the whole wooing process is based on fellowship, and these people are persona non grata, often after being encouraged to cut most of their personal ties.

And yet, I know Christians of a slightly different ilk that genuinely live their life according to Christ’s ideals, or enough of them so that they make a positive difference. Not a bad bone in 'em, you might say.

Thing is, I think too many people think being in the club is enough. It isn’t. I have met people that think they’re good because they’re Christians who, in their own way, have been utter cunts. That’s manifested itself in a number of ways, from not being able to see one’s own faults, to thinking that a bit of worship at the start of the week absolves them of the horrors they created the week before.

And this isn’t a bang at Christianity, because I think all monothestic faiths suffer from the same thing, and the consequences can be equally deadly. Both Bush and Blair reckon they were on instruction from on high. Islamic extremists will tell you that blowing themselves up is their ticket into heaven. Fucking really? Fatso has the right of it. It’s personal application of religion that really fucks everything up.

If a voice in your head has told you to go kill someone, or start a war that has left refugees streaming over Asia, Africa and Europe - you need a shrink, not a place of worship.

This is a nearly 14 year old classic from the Onion, published just after 9/11.

3 Likes
1 Like

As we seem to be posting videos now to make our arguments, I did a little search and found this one…Stephen Fry is great in anything he does, and this is no exception. In an earlier post I said that I wouldn’t want to meet Yahweh in a dark alley, but Mr Fry explains why…As a bonus, the faces his interviewer makes are gold dust.

3 Likes

He wasn’t that great in Cell Mates.

After the Stephen Fry and Gay Byrne bit of that clip there seems to be some American dickwad who is speaking into a microphone whilst also wearing a headset mic. What an arse.

Woohoo! Where to start? I think that humans are fundamentally superstitious by nature. You only have to experience a thunderstorm to see why people used to think it was the Gods at work. I also think that we have a basic need to believe in something more. Otherwise why are we here? Personally although I was brought up as a Christian, I dont belive in an old gent sitting on a fuffy cloud. I do belive that we are all connected though and my interpretation of God is that it is everything. I have dabbled in Spiritualism and also think that this isnt it. I dont believe in Heaven but think there could well be an afterlife - another dimension - when we pass on. If you sit and look at the starts at night and then think about life and how we life it, it gets kind of weird doesnt it? We spend our time bitching on the internet, going to Tescos, watching grown men kick an air filled bladder around. What is this all about FFS? I do worry about people who live their whole lives by a doctrine laid down many years ago that has no firm evidence for its being. I worry more about people who kill and maime in the name of their religion. I guess we will all find out one way or another in the end but in the meantime it is fun to engage in conjecture. This planet we live on is amazing and it would be really brilliant to find out that there are many others like this out there before I croak. Sadly I dont think it will happen in my lifetime though. Then again, we could all be living in a matrix?

One thing you have to say about religion - it certainly leads to some of the most astonishing architecture and art. I could reel off a whole list of incredible structures from pre-classical, classical and renaissance times coming right up to some incredible buildings built in the 20th century.

And then you get fuckers like ISIS and the Taliban who come along and blow the whole lot to pieces. Things I shall now never have a chnace to visit:

And the Taliban’s handiwork. Fuckers!

Another plus point for Evolution vs “Intelligent Design”

1 Like

Wow! That’s one hell of an interestiong find!

The more Homos I read about, the less inclined I am to go to church.

I thought that they had found the missing link in Southsea? Homo Twatus.

Talking of homos, a response to a visit by the successor to St Peter…

1 Like

Think I made the point before, but religion is not all bad. The reason we can speak as freely as we are able to today is largely down to religous deviants wanting to worship in their own way. Their cast-iron beliefs laid the groundwork for people like us to be able to challenge the concept of belief in general. I wonder if they’d have been quite as forthright if they’d have known what they’d create 300 years later, a mostly secular Britain.

Originally posted by @pap

religion is not all bad.

woah

3 Likes