šŸ“ Rate Your Plate

Is a Dishoom a Mushroom that has been verbally abused?

When we were up seeing short-legs in Mancland a few weeks ago we made for Dishoom. Big, big mistake. The queue was horrendous so we went elsewhere.

Had a curry the 2nd night on the road behind Canal Street (yes, Gay Village !) and it was one of the best Iā€™ve ever had. Itā€™s called Arnero and I highly recommend it if youā€™re in Mancland.

BTW, we had a pizza the first night after the Dishoom refusal ā€¦ beer by the 330ml. ā€œDo you want a pint ?ā€ asks the waiter. ā€œWhy, yes pleaseā€ says I. Bill at the end ā€¦ Ā£12 for the pint. 2xĀ£6 for each 330ml bottle. When I questioned where was the remaining 92ml, there was embarrassed faces. Needless to say, I exercised my right to the ā€œoptionalā€ service charge :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

3 Likes

But isnā€™t 660ml slightly more than a pint?

I suspect he got the pint glass and the waiters drank / resold the balance

1 Like

I would have made the bastards deduct the proportion of beer i didnā€™t get just to watch them struggle with the maths and then I would have sent them away again to remove the service charge

1 Like

Is that even legal to sell 330ml in the UK?
Surely Brexit stopped all that nonsense?
:roll_eyes:

1 Like

Exactly ā€¦ thatā€™s why i wanted the other 92ml.

1 Like

In my defence I thought you were pished and couldnā€™t count - turns out it was me :crazy_face:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Went to Bread Street Kitchen & Bar - Finsbury Circus yesterday.

One of Gordon Ramseyā€™s places in The City

The strangest menu ever - ranging from pub grub, curries, well aged steaks, pasta, fish etc - eclectic but incoherent.

Had a Rogan Josh - well below bang average.

The only decent meal in our group was the steak.

Over priced, but rammed. Must be Xmasā€¦

Went to Dinner by Heston, a favourite place of mine for pre-Christmas dinner with my Mum on Thursday; excellent as always (youā€™ve not lived til youā€™ve had the triple cooked chips here or at the Fat Duck and the tipsy cake imo).

Realised Iā€™ve not shared this previously but I have got a restaurant spreadsheet that may be useful if youā€™re searching for somewhere good in London (and several international and Home Counties faves too).

Itā€™s been a couple of years in the making - my methodology is explained on the Preamble page:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1kHKjx2eyLmPqUWcdAQZrIEhCbmuEu_LNg_862CkvixY/htmlview#gid=1516602022

Any feedback or recommendations welcome!

3 Likes

I was going to say ā€œyou need to get out moreā€ but then thought ā€œoh, wait, he doesā€¦.ā€ :man_facepalming:

Good work - will review properly later.

Feel free to use comments from my earlier post.

1 Like

A possible addition to the list - Le Manoir Aux Quatre Saisons, Great Milton near Oxford. It is fabulous (and fabulously expensive) and the best restaurant Iā€™ve ever been to

2 Likes

Top work fella!

1 Like

Been to 7 of the top 8

Missing Sketch

Just been to Zaika in Kensington - top class Indian - thoroughly recommended

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions - will add them in! Itā€™s weirdly changed how I go out to eat in that Iā€™m now much more inclined to go somewhere new so I can add to the list.

Itā€™s been round my companyā€™s London, NY and Luxembourg offices and a load of film/tv sets through actor friends (when I met Nicholas Hoult at a friendā€™s Xmas party he told me heā€™s a fan of my work :sweat_smile:)

1 Like

Sorry, who?

:joy::wink:

I can recommend Shahi Pakwaan, Aylmer Rd, Haringey. On the A1 just before it becomes Archway Rd.

ARK Copenhagenā€¦ā€¦ Vegan Michelin Starred. As a self confessed total carnivore was Pleasantly surprisedā€¦ Lions mane mushroom with a yeast based sauceā€¦ just like chicken and gravy :slight_smile:

2 Likes