⚽😷 Post-Covid football attitudes and habits

I’ve had quite a few debates recently about resuming “normal” football supporting activities post-Covid.

I’m coming to the conclusion that, for significant numbers, commitment to attending matches and even which team to follow may have changed for good.

To start with myself. I live 200 miles from St Mary’s but have had a season ticket for 15 years and rarely missed a game. I did most away games too. At the start of this season, Covid was in serious retreat, vaccinations had arrived and I cheerfully renewed, expecting to return to “normal”. But then cases started to rise again, even double-vacced people started to succumb again.

So, I decided that, for now, I’m not happy about being on crowded trains. That means a 400 mile round trip drive or, particularly if I want a beer or six, an overnight stay. So the experience is changing and the cost rising. Even if I get back to the train, prices now are 60% up on pre-Covid, as there are no cheap Advance tickets. Add to that some extended family circumstances meaning I can’t afford to pass on the virus, even if I’m happy myself with the risk, and the result is I’m not feeling the same excitement about being at live games.

Others I know are still Saints fans through and through but are switching to non-league football with smaller crowds and more space. Plus beer on the terraces and standing. And once the habit of going to games is broken, it may not come back.

You can add to that a growing weary cynicism about the PL, where the only thing that seems to matter now is money.

I increasingly feel that Covid won’t be going away. Maybe herd immunity amongst the young will kick in and boosters will stop the reemergence in the jabbed. So going to matches will, I think, be acceptance of a risk, and I can understanding some not wanting to take that.

I think I will be back, especially if Saints start doing exciting things, but it’s a slower process than I anticipated and I doubt I’ll return to it being a weekly activity.

Interested in views.

3 Likes

I don’t get to many games these day - just the occasional London one mostly. The round trip to St Mary’s doesn’t appeal much esp now I have nowhere (free) to crash as mum is in a home.

The PL could make a mint if they offered all games on the telebox at a reasonable price imho.

Me and YoungAdult#2 used to go see Leatherhead FC quite a bit but Covid, him at Uni and no one in their right mind wanting to go with me has stopped that.

4 Likes

I’ve presented myself as the wimp in the mask this season. Not that many have commented apart from a woman who sits in front of me. In reply to her question “why” I said I hadn’t been feeling too good that morning, runny nose, headache, feeling a little feverish; it was the least I could do for the people around me. Oh she said and grinned. She couldn’t see I wasn’t grinning.

Do I think wearing a mask will protect me? Not really but it might be the difference between taking in a mild viral load and heavy one. We take risks every day and we take precautions. Pity, more aren’t taking simple precautions with the infection rate running at 1 in 60. Most people still see the risk as low at football matches whilst they see wearing a seat belt as essential.

3 Likes

Pretty much sums up my position too LITSL. @SimplySaint has mentioned once or twice about going to a game (home or away) but I can’t say that I’m particularly fussed. We popped to the cinema this morning to see Bond. I couldn’t even take a piss without an unmasked toss pot standing next to me. Wankers. We were the only ones with masks on. Plenty of stares and tuts … and that was just me and Mrs SCD

2 Likes

As long as the decision about whether or not to wear a mask is left entirely up to the individual, it’s effectively a poll of the people you’re among. They aren’t necessarily going to agree with your view on it, and I’ve found recently that very few masks are getting used, in venues or otherwise. We’ve been to a couple of shows at the Concorde recently, not a single mask to be seen at all. At the Mayflower on Thursday night, full house, I’d guess at between 5 and 10 percent wearing one. Friday night at Andover Lights, again a full house, again about 10 percent. You can make an argument saying that it’s right or wrong, but to me it’s really a simple matter of a de facto collective decision.

Speaking for myself, if I’m in a shop I’ll take my cue from the staff; if most of them are wearing masks I’ll put mine on, if most aren’t then I don’t bother. In a venue if someone sits next to me wearing one I ask if they would prefer me to wear one. So far, nobody has taken me up on that, in fact at the Simon Evans gig on Friday the girl immediately said no, and would I mind if she took hers off, then she and her husband chatted with us for some time saying how difficult it is and how they felt uncomfortable in venues trying to balance the impression of selfishness against the discomfort of wearing their masks.

2 Likes

I’m never one to pass up a chance of occupying the high ground. Wearing a mask you can sneer with impunity. :lou_lol:

3 Likes

I’ve noticed recently a sharp drop of mask wearing among the dog-walking community in North Baddesley.

Make of that what you will. :thinking::smile::smile::smile:

1 Like

We seem to have a natural immunity. :rofl:

Plus I had my flu jab yesterday.

1 Like

We still wear masks here on public transport & malls.

Re football, it has affected my watching.
My match days in the pub were in a great cellar bar with £1.60 a pint beers.
But no ventilation.

So now I don’t go. Tge English pub is ground floor level, can sit near the door and get the air refreshed.
But in sub zero?
No.
So basically going to the pub to watch is off the agenda now.

I could come back for a game now it’s only a £25 test, but what day will the game be with changes for TV?

Not easy anymore

2 Likes

I’ve stopped licking away fans *.

* Midweek games only.

We should all be grateful for small mercies

2 Likes

Read that Saints are selling adult Burnley tickets @ £15. Seems a lot aren’t keen on coming back.

For a dour war of attrition against a Sean Dyche brick wall, can you blame them?

Oi, I will be there. I like walls. And it’s been (mostly) dour for ages.

Sotonians attendance has been dropping for some time, before Covid.

1 Like

How about a discount for us mugs who bought a season ticket

4 Likes

…or as the club prefers to call you, the Golden Geese.

4 Likes