šŸš“ Personal Cycling

Yesterday afternoon I spent four hours at the Calshot velodrome - effectively, thatā€™s the first two stages of track-cycling instruction in one session. I had a slight head start, as Iā€™m very accustomed to riding a fixed-wheel bike, which the other nine participants werenā€™t, but I reckon they were all a good bit fitter than me.

It was brilliant. If you enjoy cycling, you should definitely give it a go. Even if you donā€™t live in godā€™s own county, there are cycling tracks dotted around the country and Iā€™m sure theyā€™ll all offer some kind of beginnerā€™s course. From a starting point of nowhere - riding nervously round the bottom of the track - we ended up doing team pusuit-style riding with the whole bunch of ten, with the lead rider moving to the back on every lap. Iā€™m sure our pace was gentle to put it mildly, but it had to be enough for a rider to get up to the top of the banking every lap.

And it felt fucking fantastic.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve had a puncture for 3 years. My mum wonā€™t let me use the spoons to fix it.

8 Likes

I came off the mountain bike at 2mph the other week, overbalancing as I tried to avoid brambles, but thankfully a huge spiky thorn bush dragged me in and cushioned my fall. :astonished:

#ouch

How did you puncture your Mum?

2 Likes

Is she the one with real hair and a surprised look on her face?

3 Likes

Thatā€™s disappointment not surprise.

3 Likes

Sounds like Fatsoā€™s Mom, not sure about the hair though :confused:

1 Like

This is very disrespectful

1 Like

Thatā€™s what she said

2 Likes

Oh my.

Wasnā€™t that the Fountains of Wayne? 'ā€˜Fatsoā€™s mom, sheā€™s got it going onā€¦ā€™'or something lile that ?

She may have said that too tbh

2 Likes

Why is this happening? Have we lost all of our moral fibre?

2 Likes

Iā€™d be happy to apply a rubber patch to Fatsoā€™s mum, if thatā€™s any help.

3 Likes

Aye. Fuck it, Iā€™ll be honestā€¦ my Stopober is overā€¦

2 Likes

Itā€™s the personal cycling thread, Fats. The clueā€™s in the name.

1 Like

Latest football injury means I canā€™t run or twist my right knee.

Just about the only cardio exercise I can do is cycling. Currently borrowing my sonā€™s hybrid bike for trips from Eastleigh to Winchester or Romsey and am loving being back on a bike again.

Used to think this thread was for weirdos, but now Iā€™m here itā€™s got a lot better.

The only problem Iā€™ve had came on a moist and twisty downhill section when, as I got to the bottom, I punctured Fatsoā€™s mum.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve ridden a few bikes in my time. Iā€™m not a keen cyclist though.

Sorry for the downvote @saintbletch - fat thumbs.

will upvote to make amends

Thatā€™s 2 downvotes by me this weekend - both when sober (relatively)

:lou_facepalm_2:

1 Like

Cobham, me old mucker, you really need to work on that upvote/downvote thing. Of course, if youā€™re defending the honour of Fatsoā€™s mum by way of a downvote then I will fully withdraw (as indeed should Bletch).

If anyone would like to post a link to the classic Groucho Marx comment about defending a ladyā€™s honour, now would be a good time I think.

2 Likes