Pellegrino: Surely it is time for a change?

Furtle!

Grrrrrrrrā€¦Where can we buy our pitchforks @nottarf-krap ?!

:lou_wink_2:

No slagging because itā€™s a fair assessment without the trolling in every thread :blush:

No one is blinkered, blind or happy clappy as from a supporter perspective you canā€™t polish this particular turdā€¦ and itā€™s fair to debate the challenges and risks posed by our ā€˜wayā€™

i think the problem folks have with Barry is that after one defeat early season itā€™s been a constant post of negativity and misery: part trolling, part desire to prove those less obsessed wrong in an obvious attention seeking mannerā€¦ which is as dull as most of my serious posts!

Football today is as it is and no amount of bleating for time gone by is going to change he that. If it cause him such misery, why the fuck put yourself through it? Just go to the pub, spend time with the family or have some sex with the better half or oneself (I suspect Bazza is quite good at this :joy:)

Lifeā€™s too fucking short to worry/ be too obsessed with millionaires kicking an inflated ball about no matter what social convention might suggest

1 Like

Itā€™s not about pitchforks is it. Itā€™s about being grown up and acknowledging reality. Fairy tales are for children. Our club has come a long way in a few short years, from the depths of the third tier to the Premiership. And held our own, gaining plaudits from all sides for the way we played our football, admiration expressed by supporters from most other clubs for the way we played and the way our club was run. All that is in danger of being thrown out of the window by the current hierachy if we are not careful. That would be a tragedy.

2 Likes

I am not going to slag you off for your post. My only point would be that sport is not or has ever been an exact science. You can get it right for a while using a formula and then it can all go tits up using the same formula later. This season comes as no surprise to some of us because we have been supporting a team for many years who have over performed, under performed or just not turned up at all. The only surprise for me is just how well we coped over the last few years with all of the changes. Forget SFC for a moment and look at all the other medium/small clubs. The same thing happens to them all. It happens because they canā€™t compete with the big boys consistently financially. Barry gets slagged off because he only shows his ā€œpassionā€ when we fuck up. You donā€™t hear a peep out of him when things are going well. Most on here accept the ups and downs that go with supporting a smaller club. We have said it before, but are things worth getting really wound up about that are infinitely more important than football. If you havenā€™t read the comments on Fiverweb I suggest that you do. There are people there who clearly have no concept of what is important in life. I was gutted when we lost to Leicester and more so last night. If I had a dog I would probably have swung a boot at its arse. But no one died. I still have a football club to support (no matter what division they end up in). My loved ones are still safe and happy and my the extension to my house is still being built. Life goes on. I had the greatest of respect for Bill Shankley, but when he made his infamous remark about football being more important than life and death, he enabled millions of Barryā€™s who have now been given a bigger voice thanks to Internet forums. It is all about balance and perspective. I would argue that Barry has neither.

5 Likes

Not sure it would be a Tragedyā€¦ bit strong a word and that is what some of us struggle with. The fact is we could get relegated as we have done in many seasons past - itā€™s part of the game. The fact we chose to make itā€™s such a big issue is maybe because we are constantly told it is by premier league marketing spin bollocks is one of the reasons why some of us are almost anti-hype. Finances aside, relegation is not the end of the world - it happens to 3 clubs every year and most smart fans have known for the last 5/6 years that the model of selling beat players will mean this is a possibility - the key is how we as fans deal with it. Get sucked In By the hype, or as fans support come what may.

lamenting the loss of ā€˜what might have beenā€™ is pointless - I still believe that had ML still bean alive and working with Nasty Nic then we may well now be in a CL position . MOPO and the talent we had them having grown, but thats an ā€˜if onlyā€™ that is long goneā€¦

2 Likes

CoBs you been all thumbs again?

1 Like

Nothing ever stays the same mate. One minute your life is good, then next itā€™s dog shite. Take the good times with the bad. What was more exciting winning the JPT trophy or finishing in mid-table mediocrity in the premier league and knowing you donā€™t have the money to buy your way up higher in the league, ever?

What was more exciting finishing mid table in the Premier league being ignored by the media or embroiled in a relegation scrap that goes down to the wire with all the media interest?

I think you can guess what I prefer.

2 Likes

Ooops sorry SOG didnā€™t mean to down vote - post something and Iā€™ll make amends

1 Like

Thought Iā€™d been pretty good all through the alcoholic haze of Xmas only to balls it up on a sober school night

:lou_sad:

2 Likes

Probably best to stay in an alcoholic haze at all times Cobham!

2 Likes

So then who is to blame?

The players?

The manager?

The board?

The sell off?

The purchases?

Most would say all have a degree of blame correctly pinned upon them, this is a perfect recipe for relegation, there isnā€™t one positive concerning the play at the moment, nothing to be happy about behind the scenes, no words from the owners, nothing.

I have said this for a long long time and have been drowned out in a wail of blind positivity and hope, Iā€™ll say again weā€™re Southampton, weā€™re the largest least succesful team in England arguably and we fuck everything up, thats how we roll, weā€™re not winners hence we wheel Mac every 5 minutes for his knowledge and worth, can you imagine United doing that with Ron Atkinson?

A bloke said in the pub the other week all the football teams in the lowe part of the premiership are the same and he is right, he also said we used to be a football team with a bit of soul, he was right again, football changes for sure but it hasnā€™t got better in terms of quality and trophies won by English teams, the premier league doesnā€™t exist for the English fans going to the games, why would they care? It eixists for the overseas market and weā€™ve diluted our soul in yet another British/English sell off, weā€™ll never learn and the end result isnā€™t a better national team but a worse one and less local lads on the park playing for their boyhood clubs, football isnā€™t football, its entertainment, that makes me incredibly sad, a mere passing of

ā€œOh there are more things important in lifeā€

ā€œNevermind thereā€™s always next weekā€

ā€œWeā€™re richer now than weā€™ve ever beenā€

Weā€™re poorer in so many more ways, soul, passion and belonging, thats football and that will always be football, not some overseas buyer interested in numbers and how we can maximise the brand, like the Country as a whole, weā€™re lost and we donā€™t know where were going.

Yeah, but we won the FA Cup in '76 and have dined out on it ever since Baz

It was all downhill from thereā€¦arguably

2 Likes

I thought we were going down?

4 Likes

Football as a whole chubby punter.

And once you have decided who to pin the blame on, what are you going to do about it Barry?

Dining out on it? Weā€™ve maxed it and some, its embarrassing, that win and the resulting doā€™s and payers meals and talks merely shows our lack of actual success as a club, we should also acknowledge that, if our only chance of success is a Cup, state that and go solely for the Cups! Otherwise what is the point? Aim for the stars by all means but youā€™re only lying to yourself, Cups are the only thing we can win and thats with a good draw, the club sold is soul in the way it treats Cup games, as an example this is a club that invests millions to play in the Premiership and succeeds in getting into the Europa and then plays a weakened side in it and it still bows down to and pays homage to the League.

That is the Southampton fucking way!

Steady there Baz

These guys are there to talk if you want

Theyā€™re more help than the Chinese, Reed and Kruegar.

Between Barry, Redmond, Pelligrino and Ralph, my interest in footy is becoming limited to fantasy football and waddling about a 5 aside pitch once a week (as itā€™s deemed unacceptable just to go for the drinks afterwards)

2 Likes