Pellegrino: Surely it is time for a change?

Since the arrival of Markus we have always had a coach. We will NOT recruit a Manager.

It is the Southampton Way. Which also dictates ourcsupposed style and tactics.

Think I did mention that…

The issue now is that fear and discord have grown unchecked. Sacking Purl instilled the fear of failure fear of a misplaced pass. Fear of losing possession. Fear of upsetting a player.

It is toxic and will not be solved by firing MoPe.

He needs new blood now and the Southampton Way (written before we went into admin) needs to be modernised and a new style/formation and flexibility must be allowed to permeate.

IF the U8s play 4-23-1 then that’ what MP must do.

Change the fucking formation Les. It is out of date

2 Likes

Rupert appointed SCW.

We then had coaches not managers.

Rupert & SCW “invented” the concept that every age group would play the same formation. There are tons of quotes it isn’ rocket science.

Led interpreted that as our formation.

Norman experimented but his main success came when he played longer quicker balls. It worked for NO because he made the players mega fit to play the Girls a style of the high press.

The press and a long ball are not easy to do together so Norman stopped the pressing.

Purl stopped the long ball.

And here we are.

Now the REAL Question 'e Purl are the stats of Gabbi before and after his injury.

Did Gabbi lose an inch of pace? He has never been the same since his knock. Before that he scored for fun.

It is not just about MoPe. It is about shackles and things like Gabbi & tbh Long who under Koeman looked like a footballer not Mo Farah

Word!

Southern or Southampton fans may feel that way but to many it is a huge part of their life right or wrong, having a passion for the club is a good thing not a bad one, middle class and rugby fans should fuck off, I’d love to go back to the Dell when it was real fans and a real club, if you mentioned champions league in the Archers or Milton you’d be laughed at just as I laugh at our new plastic fan believing such tripe, treat all owners as you would a politician.

I wondered how long it woudld take you to show up and mention:

The north

Real fans

middle class

Rugby

Plastic

Thanks for not dissapointing :lou_lol:

4 Likes

I’d argue that Koeman was as much a manager as he was a coach. He clearly got a vote when it came to player recruitment with the signings of Tadic, Pelle, Clasie and to a lesser extent Mane.

Equally Claude definitely had an input on Boufal.

Pellegrino didn’t bring anyone in from La Liga that he knew well and watched most weeks. Instead we have been shopping in Italy for the last two windows.

Perhaps that is an argument for giving him a transfer window, but he DID have the summer.

Unfortunately we cannot have a complete squad overhaul and it is easier to get rid of a manager in order to spark a reaction from an underperforming set of players. Right now we are in desperate need of some sort of change to spark that reaction. And I will be absolutely amazed if, given our current predicament, we signed some of these big names that we have linked with. If they come then it will be on loan because they won’t want to run the risk of being contractually obliged to have their wages cut or play Championship football next year. So will loanees be committed enough to fight and pull us out of the shit?

With regards the formation, I am in agreement. He seems very confused at the moment which is very worrying given we are 21 games in to the season. Just because we played well at Old Trafford playing 4-4-1-1 doesnt mean we should be doing that against Palace at home. How much shit have we seriously got to be in before he tries getting two centre forwards on to the pitch at the same time. Whether that is 3-5-2 or 4-4-2 I don’t care. What I know is that all too often chances fall to the wrong people in the box and having more than one target to find would certainly help ensuring that they are more likely to fall to the right person.

1 Like

Simon.

MoPe himself said he had given his needs to the Board.

Not names of players.

Remember Paul Mitchell?

Or whatever that went to Spurs?

He ran the Scouts & Black box not MoPe nor Koeman.

Manager - Koeman came from Europe our system is European not Lawrue/Clough style

Wish we’ got Sammy Lee back though

And I bet you used to live in t’shoe box in t’middle o’road. Jumper as goal posts etc. You can have a passion for your club without living in a by gone age or pretending that things should be better than they are just because you have passion for your club. In the good old days supports used to support their clubs Barry. All you do, consistantly, is slag the club off. We dont hear a word from you when things are going well. As soon as things dont go so well you are all over it 24/7. It is the drama you crave and it has nothing to do with supporting a football club.

4 Likes

I have just seen the list of 5 people who could replace Pellegrino if he is sacked. One of them is Brendan Rodgers.

:lou_surprised:

I’l take relegation rather than deluded if that’ alright

2 Likes

Clearly they are just throwing names in a hat, but he was one along with Eddie Howe, Ronnie Koeman, Manuel Pellegrini and Patrick Viera.

Actually, if Les wants to stand behind MP he could do worse than to bring the other MP in as his mentor for the rest of the season.

If harking back to the good old days, I always ask… ‘why do those who always go on about the good old days only seem to be those who go on and on about 70s and 80s?’ why not the 20s-60s when fans woudl go to support rivals when your side played away from home? The days of the rattles and rosettes?

Seems to me that its a specific bunch who were teenagers just AFTER the hideous 70s and 80s cages were removed and who missed out on the ‘fun’… desperate neanderthals who long for something that they feel is missing. Football has always changed - just look at the 1900s onwards - Football does not cost £1 anymore, but everyone has cars and most have a mortgage… its as if life is meant to evolve but football is meant to be isolated from evolving society… Funny as fuck really :lou_lol: - folks desperate to maintain a ‘classsystem’ to hold onto a shitty identify hthat has fuck all place in amodern society… Bazza just needed to add how fottball shoudl be for the working classes andit woudl have been BINGO! :lou_lol:

2 Likes

How I miss the days when matches were played on ploughed fields and teams would pass back to the keeper constantly to waste time. How I miss the days when players were called “Chopper” Harris and would take each other out knee high without a second thought. How I miss a bag of Percy Dalton’s nuts and a cup of Bovril at half time. Ah, them was the days.

I’m sorry Phil but we will need to agree to disagree on this point.

Koeman came from Holland and was followed in to the club by four dutch league players (Pelle, Tadic, Clasie, Martina). He left and a French mush came in and was followed by a two French league players (Pied and Boufal). How many Dutch league players have come in since then? Ignore nationalities here. There is no way Koeman didn’t guide the club in to signing his previous players. Same with Puel and Pied, who we were clearly not sold on as we only gave a two year contract, much like Martina. I sincerely hope Martina wasn’t a genuine target of the black box.

I could also argue the same about Toby Alderweireld, who admitted as much that he joined us because of Koeman. However, he could be the exception as we were linked with him before he left Ajax for Atletico Madrid which suggests that he was already on the list.

From what I know of the black box there is apparently thousands of players monitored on it so inevitably we sign players from it. Yet it is a hell of a coincidence that we sign players who have played for the new incoming manager previously. That suggests that we are either giving the manager/coach a say on signings or signing players that will fit in with the way in which the manager wants us to play.

What I am basically trying to say in a very poor and long winded way is that I don’t feel that this has happened this time around. That may be why we are in the spot of bother that we are right now. Bednarek is 100% a club signing. Lemina and Hoedt have been in and out of the side and there is seemingly no obvious connection to the manager with either.

If the manager is simply giving the club certain criteria to fill positions, as opposed to actual names, then I am baffled and defeated.

“Hi Les, I need a dominant centre back to replace VVD. He needs to be quick, right footed, good on the ball, dominant in the air and over 6 feet 3 inches tall, because Yoshida keeps getting beat in the air and it is costing us points.”

Surely it is easier to just suggest a name? That way you are getting exactly what you envisage and need rather than perhaps 70% of the attributes that you require.

Couldn’t find the audio mate but here is an article about it in case you’re interested.

Rickie got schooled

Vote them out after 5 years?

Gabbi has been ineffective when used because he is relying on Tadic/Redmond to supply him and quite frankly they have both been utter fucking dogshit all season.

3 Likes

There is some truth in that and you know it, since St Marys we’ve got this new band of plastic day trippers, why they would quite want the experience of St Marys is beyond me, you see I get football, I understand it, for a shite club like us its not supposed to be enjoyed an awful lot if any but endured, thats the real Southampton Way, I honestly couldn’t give a shite where we are as there’ll always be a club, even if we folded last time there’d be a pheonix club again, the shirt, the club and the City regardless of how shit they are, they’re mine and they strangely mean an awful lot to me.

What I can’t stand is the businessmen promising the clappers the earth when we all know its utters bollocks and comical ali, I got slated for a change 2 years ago when I said the glass ceiling was reached and by bollocks I haven’t been proved wrong, we bought well and got lucky, that was the plan a shot in the dark and it worked, the media love it, it we loved it and the purists loved it.

Only the sad act realists knew it was a bubble akin to the property market, now we have a silent owner who’s silence says an awful lot.

We’re fucked whether we stay up or not, the club will always be so bollocks to the owners, players and clappers, they’re visitors and passing through.

Who wants that? There has to be a better way than the British model which is not to own anything and be shite at nearly everything we value.

It’s too easy to slag Barry off just to get a few upvotes, from the usual suspects. But the bottom line is that a lot of what he says is right. All this bollocks, he is not a true supporter because he tells uncomfortable truths about the state of our football club is absolute nonsense in my opinion. He clearly cares deeply about the direction we have taken and isn’t afraid to vent his spleen. What is wrong with that? Les Reed, and the Canadian Ice Hockey supremo are drawing huge salaries from SFC, and it is blindingly obvious that at the moment they are running the club into the ground. We are sleepwalking to the lower divisions. They have appointed a manager/coach who is clearly not up to the job. They fucked up, time to hold their hands up and admit it instead of embarrassing themselves by giving patronizing interviews to the local media, insulting the supporter’s intelligence by telling them that said manager/coach is doing a great job, 24 hours before we get tucked up by Crystal Palace at home in a 6 pointer. You only have look at the video clips from the Opti News thread to see this. Supporters of many years standing are outraged, and rightly so. We are going backwards, the football being served up, week in, week out is just awful, players on more money in a week than most supporters who turn up in all weathers earn in a year are just going through the motions. Shane Long scores a goal, his first for a year and we are expected to be in raptures. As if that makes it all right. It will probably be another year before he scores another one.

Surely it is blindingly obvious to all but the hard of thinking that Pellegrino is not the answer. Maybe he has given it his best shot, but his best shot is clearly not good enough. What on earth is the point of prolonging the agony, wait until we are rooted at the bottom of the table and then sack him and make a panic appointment to try and pull us out of the shit? He has clearly lost the fans, he won’t come back from that, they never do. I have quite a few close friends who are Everton season ticket holders and the same scenario applied at Goodison with Koeman. He was finished there at least a month before he received his DCM, everybody knew it, it just took a few weeks before it sunk in with the powers that be at the club. Exactly the same scenario with us, it is not a matter of if, but when. We have 75 million from the VVD sale, i absolutely agree with the guy on the video on Opti News, i wouldn’t want Pellegrino anywhere near that money, given his judgement so far.

I fully expect to get a good slagging for this post, but what the fuck. It needed to be said.

5 Likes