OptiNews - Friday 15 to Thursday 21 September 2017

Sourced from talkSPORT article

VIDEO: Liverpool supporter urges club owner John W. Henry to sign Virgil van Dijk

Show/hide article…

It’s safe to say Liverpool missed a trick by not adding to their defensive options this summer.

Jurgen Klopp spent the majority of his transfer budget on Mohamed Salah.

And some Reds supporters have taken matters into their own hands.

"Van Dijk in January. It’s the right thing to do. He wants to play for us,” shouted the fan.

Will his advice fall on deaf ears?

Go to the original article…

...straightfacedly instigated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers summary article summary

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 15/09/2017 18:34:50

|

| Crystal Palace vs. Southampton: Opposing fan’s viewFANSIDEDSAINTSMARCHING |
| | Crystal Palace FC Chairman’s Comments: SouthamptonCRYSTALPALACEFC |
| | Predicted XI: Southampton (H)READCRYSTALPALACE |

...sparkily engineered by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers’ RSS Feed rss feed

Read Southampton

New content from (- Read Southampton)

| Bertrand discusses Van Dijk’s return | Southampton defender Ryan Bertrand has been discussing how the squad welcomed back Virgil van Dijk. The England … 15-09-2017 |

Older content…

| Three Key Saints: Crystal Palace (A)18 hours ago |
| Southampton v Crystal Palace (A) - Last time out18 hours ago |
| Pellegrino makes no promises to Van Dijk over captaincy2 days ago |
| Southampton Predicted XI: Crystal Palace (A)2 days ago |
| Southampton team news: Crystal Palace (A)2 days ago |
| Le Tissier: Southampton handled Van Dijk situation brilliantly2 days ago |
| Saints defender Hoedt discusses prospect of playing next to Van Dijk2 days ago |
| Southampton man wary of Crystal Palace’s threat3 days ago |
| What did Mauricio Pellegrino get wrong against Watford?5 days ago |

...surely instantiated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Mail article

Pellegrino admits Crystal Palace are difficult to prepare for

Show/hide article…

Southampton manager Mauricio Pellegrino admits he does not know what to expect from Crystal Palace under their new boss Roy Hodgson.

Struggling Palace took drastic action earlier this week in a bid to arrest their early-season slump, sacking Frank de Boer after just four Premier League games in charge and replacing him with the experienced former England boss.

Saints will be the first club to take on the bottom-of-the-table Eagles since the managerial change when they head to Selhurst Park for a lunchtime kick-off on Saturday.

Argentinian Pellegrino acknowledges Palace have good individual players but is unsure of the threats they will pose as a team under 70-year-old Hodgson.

‘When you change a manager everything is up in the air because nobody knows what will happen,’ Pellegrino said.

'I know (Hodgson’s) history as a manager. When I was at Liverpool (as a player in 2005) he was at Fulham and obviously he’s a manager with a long history behind him. He has a lot of experience.

'But now I don’t have too much reference. For the manager the context is everything for me, from my point of view. We need to wait a little more to draw a conclusion.

‘The only thing that I know that it’s a really good group of players.’

Palace have yet to score a goal or register a point in the league so far this season, prompting the early dismissal of Dutchman De Boer.

While Saints are currently five points better off, they have also had problems finding their net, drawing blanks in four of their five games in all competitions.

The 3-2 victory over West Ham on August 19 is the only game in which Pellegrino has seen his new side score, with two of those strikes coming from the penalty spot.

He is confident, however, that his goal-shy team will soon start finding the back of the net on a regular basis.

‘Obviously I will try to change something to be better,’ Pellegrino added.

‘I see the next game as an opportunity to improve and to convert more chances and create more. But it’s about everybody, not just the strikers.’

...cordially concocted by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Star article

Liverpool News: Salah beats Messi and Ronaldo, Van Dijk error claim, Merson prediction

Show/hide article…

Mohamed Salah has been named Champions League player of the week. The Egyptian featured in Liverpool’s 2-2 draw with Spanish outfit Sevilla on Tuesday evening, scoring his side’s second which sent them into the break with a slender lead. The striker collected 51 per cent of the vote on UEFA’s website to claim the prize after his deflected goal capped an impressive display. Salah saw off competition from some of the world’s best players including Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo, who came second and third respectively. PSG’s Neymar and fellow Premier League rivals Harry Kane and Romelu Lukaku were also on the shortlist.

“It could be nervy for Liverpool. I’ll go for 2-0” Liverpool legend Jan Molby thinks his old side should have been in the hunt for Tottenham new boy Davinson Sanchez, rather than Virgil van Dijk this summer. Writing for the Liverpool Echo, Molby said: “The club went strong for Virgil van Dijk and was prepared to pay a world record fee for a defender. “Yet when the window closed we had strengthened in every position apart from centre-half. Like most fans, I struggle to understand that. “Was Van Dijk really the only defender who would have improved this team? I refuse to believe that was the case. “Of course some weren’t for sale but part of scouting is finding players. I wonder about the boy Davinson Sanchez, who went to Spurs from Ajax. “Why didn’t we show any interest in him? I still think we’re a more attractive proposition than Spurs. It makes you wonder sometimes.”

Liverpool will end up beating Burnley 2-0 in the Premier League tomorrow, according to Paul Merson. “I know they kept a clean sheet against Arsenal but they are not going to win the league with that defence. “Philippe Coutinho will probably play with Sadio Mane suspended and he can open teams up, but the way Burnley have been playing they should be full of confidence. “Their away form has been good and I don’t think they need to sit back and wait for Liverpool to break them down. “It could be nervy for Liverpool. I’ll go for 2-0.”

...compromisingly costructed by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from A tweet by SouthamptonFC tweet

@SouthamptonFC - Southampton FC

:movie_camera:

Watch as #SaintsFC’s @wesleyhoedt looks ahead to tomorrow’s trip to face #CPFC:

Retweets: 0

Favourites: 2

...weepily produced by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 15/09/2017 19:35:05

|

| Pellegrino admits Palace are difficult to second-guessFOOTBALL365 |
| | Variety is the spice of life – looking at the past as a blueprint for the futureFRESHSAINTS |
| | Preview: Crystal Palace vs SouthamptonFRESHSAINTS |
| | Manager sidesteps captaincy issueCLUBCALL |
| | Defender in line to return at PalaceCLUBCALL |

...preliminarily brought into being by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers’ RSS Feed rss feed

Read Southampton

New content from (- Read Southampton)

| Bertrand happy with Saints’ progression | Southampton defender Ryan Bertrand is happy with how the club is progressing. The England international discussed … 15-09-2017 |
| Who’s the dangerman? Crystal Palace (A) | Southampton travel to Crystal Palace Saturday lunchtime as they look to bounce back from defeat to Watford. The … 15-09-2017 |

Older content…

| Bertrand discusses Van Dijk’s return19 hours ago |
| Three Key Saints: Crystal Palace (A)19 hours ago |
| Southampton v Crystal Palace (A) - Last time out19 hours ago |
| Pellegrino makes no promises to Van Dijk over captaincy2 days ago |
| Southampton Predicted XI: Crystal Palace (A)2 days ago |
| Southampton team news: Crystal Palace (A)2 days ago |
| Le Tissier: Southampton handled Van Dijk situation brilliantly2 days ago |
| Saints defender Hoedt discusses prospect of playing next to Van Dijk2 days ago |

...physically moulded by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Sky Sports article

No bad vibes with Virgil Van Dijk at Southampton, Ryan Bertrand says

Show/hide article…

There have been “no bad vibes” in the Southampton dressing room after Virgil van Dijk’s return to the fold, according to team-mate Ryan Bertrand.

The Southampton centre back was the subject of sustained interest from Liverpool over the summer, only for the south coast club’s owners to stand firm and keep hold of the coveted Dutchman.

However, despite Van Dijk making it clear he wanted to leave the Saints, Bertrand says there are no hard feelings towards the player after his move to Anfield broke down.

“It is nice to keep hold of players,” he told Sky Sports. "There were no bad vibes in the dressing room. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and what they want to do in their lives, but we just get on with it and play as a team.

"He has clearly stated that there are some big teams involved and wanted him and he just wanted to go on and pursue his career and move on to really big things.

“But he had a contract with Southampton and it did not happen. The club did not want to sell him and that is it, that is football.”

Van Dijk continued his comeback from an ankle injury by playing for Southampton’s reserves on Monday and may now be in contention to feature against Crystal Palace in the Premier League on Saturday lunch time.

That match at Selhurst Park, which is live on Sky Sports Premier League and Main Event, sees Roy Hodgson take charge of bottom-of-the-table Palace for the first time.

Bertrand, though, says he is expecting to face “a more organised” Eagles team this weekend, but he will also be “sharing as much information as I can” on the opposition having worked under Hodgson with England.

Southampton are also under new management after Mauricio Pellegrino replaced Claude Puel in the St Mary’s dugout in June, despite a respectable eighth-place finish in the Premier League last season.

The players have been working with the Argentine on “trying to eradicate the cheap goals that we conceded last year,” says Bertrand.

Overall, however, the England left back thinks the Saints are currently in a healthy place, especially after Jisheng Gao and his family bought 80 per cent of the club from Katharina Liebherr in August.

“We are in a good place, a consistent place,” Bertrand said. "We have built fantastically from League One upwards and managed to establish ourselves in the best league in the world. And we have been having consistent finishes in this league.

"You have to look at what is success and for a club like this, finishing in the top 10 of this league is success.

"They (the owners) have built it very, very well and just secured some investment, and hopefully they can come in and drive us forward again, so we are in a good place.

“You always strive for greatness and to get better as a player, so as long as Southampton keeps on a positive track and looking to improve, then I will be happy.”

Bertrand is also currently in possession of the England left-back berth with rival Danny Rose still out injured, a major plus in a season that ends with a World Cup.

But looking ahead to next summer’s tournament in Russia, all the 28-year-old can do is continue turning in impressive performances for Southampton in a bid to remain in Gareth Southgate’s starting XI.

“First and foremost in terms of England, you have to take care of your club and as long as you are playing consistently with your club, that is one foot in the door,” said Bertrand.

“And then it is about what level you are playing at.”

Listen to the full interview with Ryan Bertrand ahead of Crystal Palace against Southampton on Sky Sports Premier League and Main Event from 11.30am on Saturday

...anyway conceived by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 15/09/2017 20:35:19

| | Crystal Palace boosted by two key injury returnees for SouthamptonFOOTBALLLONDON |
| | Davis On 200 Southampton MilestoneVITALFOOTBALL |
| | Liverpool once again linked with international defender (not van Dijk)LIVE4LIVERPOOL |
| | Pellegrino Talks PalaceVITALFOOTBALL |
| | Koeman exit was beginning of end at Southampton, hints midfielder, although contracted to 2020SPORTWITNESS |
| | Crystal Palace vs Southampton: Premier League match preview, likely line-ups and score predictionTHEBOOTROOM |

...surprisedly brought into being by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Get the view from the opposition camp, as new #CPFC boss Roy Hodgson looks ahead to #SaintsFC: http://sfcne.ws/OVCPalaceA

Retweets: 0

Favourites: 0

...ballistically brought into being by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 15/09/2017 21:35:32

| | THICKACCENT |
| | Three Key Saints: Crystal Palace (A)READSOUTHAMPTON |
| | Southampton must drop 9-cap star and start £11.7m-rated attacker in order to beat Palace - agreed?FOOTBALLFANCAST |
| | Snakes, tophats & dodgy maths: Paul Merson gives amusing response when asked if Crystal Palace will survive under …HEREISTHECITY |

...unfearingly churned out by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 15/09/2017 22:35:44

| | Bertrand happy with Saints’ progressionREADSOUTHAMPTON |
| | ‘I’m expecting a big Palace reaction’ … BBC pundit tips Southampton to lose at Selhurst ParkFOOTBALLFANCAST |
| | Crystal Palace v SouthamptonHOLMESDALE |
| | The key questions Pellegrino must answer before Southampton face Crystal PalaceFOOTBALLFANCAST |
| | Bertrand insists Van Dijk has been welcomed backREADSOUTHAMPTON |

...subsequently shaped by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from A tweet by NBCSportsSoccer tweet

@NBCSportsSoccer - NBC Sports Soccer

#PLonNBC preview: Crystal Palace vs. Southampton, live on @NBCSN, 7:30 a.m. ET on Sat. | #CPFC #SaintsFC #CRYSOU - http://wp.me/p2g4vo-1Nbh

Retweets: 4

Favourites: 7

...improbably hatched by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 15/09/2017 23:35:57

| | Bertrand: 'No bad vibes about Van Dijk’SPORTSMOLE |
| | Watch: What a Liverpool fan shouted at John Henry during Boston Red Sox gameGIVEMESPORT |
| | Sam Gallagher stepping up - what to look out for in Blues vs PrestonBIRMINGHAMMAIL |
| | Benteke And Milivojevic To Start – Strongest 4-3-3 Crystal Palace Line Up To Face Southampton In The PL – SoccerSoulsSOCCERSOULS |

...creatively sired by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 16/09/2017 00:36:11

|

| [Image] Here’s How Southampton Might Line Up Against Crystal Palace In The Upcoming PL Game – SoccerSouls SOCCERSOULS |
| | Crystal Palace FC Matchday Guide: SouthamptonCRYSTALPALACEFC |

...suspensefully hewn by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

It’s matchday and we’re on the road! :innocent:

:soccer: #CPFC vs #SaintsFC
:trophy: @premierleague
:clock1230: 12.30pm BST
:round_pushpin: Selhurst Park
:computer:https://twitter.com/i/web/status/908933245991096320

Retweets: 3

Favourites: 15

...dissentingly thought-up by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from BBC article

“Van Dijk won’t fix Liverpool” - Hargreaves, In Short - Radio 5 live

Show/hide article…

Owen Hargreaves believes that even the signing of highly-rated Southampton defender Virgil van Dijk would not significantly improve Liverpool’s defence.

Reds’ manager Jurgen Klopp has been criticised for his lack of reinforcements in the summer after several questionable defensive performances this season.

However, former Manchester United midfielder Hargreaves believes “philosophy is the real issue”, citing Klopp’s tactics as the problem.

...patently brought to pass by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from The Independent article

Liverpool watched Virgil van Dijk alternatives ‘500 million times’, insists Jurgen Klopp

Show/hide article…

Jürgen Klopp, the Liverpool manager, has defended his decision not to sign a central defender this summer after the club was frustrated in its attempts to prise Virgil van Dijk away from Southampton.

Klopp chose not to move for an alternative to Van Dijk once it became clear that Southampton were unwilling to sell the 26-year-old, despite the defensive frailties that have dogged Liverpool in recent years.

Such frailties were on display once again on Wednesday night during the club’s long-awaited return to the Champions League, as Group E opponents Sevilla scored two easily-preventable goals from their only shots on target.

The disappointing defensive display, days after a 5-0 thrashing at Manchester City, led to renewed calls for investment in defence and claims that an alternative to Van Dijk - such as Benedikt Howedes, Khalidou Koulibaly or Davinson Sanchez - should have been signed.

Klopp has now confirmed that Liverpool looked at other options, but it was ultimately decided that no available player would immediately improve the team.

“We watched all of them 500 million times,” Klopp said, speaking ahead of Burnley’s visit to Anfield this summer. “What if the new player doesn’t hit the first ball and he makes exactly the same mistake? It’s a mistake they all made in their life, but it is like: ‘He is a £65m signing, he will improve.’ Why do you think the other one cannot improve? I don’t understand that.

“We want to make right decisions. A big part of football and life is really putting faith in the people you work with – trusting them – because they all can improve. They all can. [Defenders at other clubs] are all good out there but they are not that good that you say: ‘Yes they help immediately.’”

“I had to make a decision and the decision was our boys are not worse than them,” he added.

Klopp has at times been accused of showing too much trust in his players, with the likes of Dejan Lovren and Alberto Moreno but the Liverpool manager believes that putting faith in the current members of his squad is part and parcel of his job and he insists he will continue to do just that.

“That’s the risk when you get a manager, so we are like we are,” he said. “I believe in trust. I trust people until they give me an opportunity or a possibility not to trust them anymore. That’s how I understand life.

“My job is really to get the best out of these boys, not to sign them and tell them: ‘Deliver, come on.’ That’s a clear deal. You perform really well boys, credit. We perform bad, my credit. It’s my job to make sure we can perform as good as possible.”

...cherishedly erected by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Star article

Southampton boss Mauricio Pellegrino defends forwards: Scoring is the hardest thing to do

Show/hide article…

Mauricio Pellegrino’s Southampton have failed to score in four games this season

The Saints have failed to score in four of Pellegrino’s first five games in charge and have netted just one goal from open play this season.

Former boss Claude Puel suffered similar problems but Pellegrino is backing Shane Long and Co to finally come good - starting at Crystal Palace today.

He said: “I have got the best strikers I can have at this moment. My job is to work with them and to try and improve them.

“To score a goal is the most difficult thing in modern football. That is why people who score goals are worth £100m, £200m. Their value is really high.

“We have created chances and deserved to score more goals than we have but you have to convert these chances.

...hermetically brought to pass by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!