OptiNews - Friday 09 to Thursday 15 February 2018

Sourced from Sky Sports article

Virgil van Dijk return should not distract Southampton fans, says Mauricio Pellegrino

Show/hide article…

Mauricio Pellegrino says he wants fans to support Southampton’s players instead of giving Virgil van Dijk a hostile reception when he returns to his former club with Liverpool.

Van Dijk became the world’s most expensive defender when the Reds paid a fee in the region of £75m for his services in January, with the Dutchman having handed in a transfer request last summer in hope of engineering a move.

The 26-year-old says he is expecting a frosty atmosphere at Sunday’s game, live on Sky Sports, but Saints manager Pellegrino admits while everyone is entitled to their own opinion, he would prefer fans to focus on getting behind his 15th-placed side.

“It’s difficult because there’s no truth about one situation, one person could be grateful with him (Van Dijk), one person can say ‘boo’. But it’s not about ‘OK this is the fact’,” said Pellegrino.

"Every single person has got an opinion about everybody and we have to respect that. But I think our fans are really respectful with ex-players.

“I think I prefer that our fans are focused on supporting our players and getting behind us. Our players have to be focusing on trying to give to our supporters good feeling, good attitude, with energy to try to be 100% on the pitch.”

Southampton claimed their first Premier League win in 13 games with a 3-2 victory against West Brom on Saturday, and Pellegrino is keen for his side to continue their momentum against Liverpool.

The manager also says the club should be “grateful” to Van Dijk for his service to the club and the profit the club made on his transfer after they signed him for a fee in the region of £11.5m in 2015.

“I think we have to be grateful with him and now we just have to think about Virgil as part of the past but he did well in our club and he leaves some profit to the club,” said Pellegrino

“We have to be focused on our game and what we have to do and obviously we play against one of the best teams in the Premier League, in my point of view, they are in the Champions League, they are a really really strong side.”

Go to the original article…

...raptly shaped by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from A tweet by SouthamptonFC tweet

@SouthamptonFC - Southampton FC

GOAL: #SaintsFCU23s 0-1 #CardiffCity (Michael Gyasi 76’)

The substitute taps in at the back post to give the visit… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/962063012281466881

Retweets: 1

Favourites: 1

...fashionably concocted by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers summary article summary

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 09/02/2018 20:47:59

| | SPORTSKEEDA |
|

| Southampton boss Mauricio Pellegrino only missing Charlie Austin ahead of Liverpool clashIBTIMES |
| | The view from Southampton ahead of Liverpool clashTHISISANFIELD |
| | We didn’t ‘steal’ Saints defender says Liverpool FC bossICNORTHWALES |
| | Southampton vs Liverpool - The view from St Mary’s Stadium - Opposition PreviewANFIELDHQ |
| | Clean Bill Of Health For PellegrinoVITALFOOTBALL |

...connivingly instituted by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers’ RSS Feed rss feed

Read Southampton

New content from (- Read Southampton)

| Saints forward’s agent claims that other top flight sides want to land him | Manolo Gabbiadini is not receiving sufficient game time at Southampton at the moment and speculation has been … 09-02-2018 |

Older content…

| Southampton vs Liverpool: Predicted Opposition XI20 hours ago |
| Jurgen Klopp reveals what he finds confusing about Southampton this season20 hours ago |
| Southampton vs Liverpool: Last time out - Can Saints achieve another shock result?20 hours ago |
| This Liverpool man will cause Southampton havoc on Sunday20 hours ago |
| Southampton predicted XI: Liverpool (H)20 hours ago |
| What is Southampton’s strongest starting line-up?2 days ago |
| Southampton pair shown the exit door2 days ago |
| Saints midfielder reveals why he feels the club will stay up3 days ago |
| Pellegrino discusses why defender has been performing so well3 days ago |

...unhealthily sired by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

FULL-TIME: #SaintsFCU23s 0-1 #CardiffCity

Gyasi’s late goal decides a frustrating #PLCup Group B tie at Staplewoo… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/962066733820342272

Retweets: 2

Favourites: 4

...introvertedly put together by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from talkSPORT article

Liverpool FC news: Adam Lallana recalled to first-team squad despite dismissal in under-23s game

Show/hide article…

Adam Lallana is back in the Liverpool squad for the Reds’ trip to the midfielder’s former club Southampton, despite his sending-off in the under-23s’ defeat at Tottenham on Monday,

Lallana is eligible for selection as his suspension does not apply to first-team fixtures, despite his irate reaction to a bad challenge.

The midfielder has endured an injury-hit season and manager Jurgen Klopp admits part of his reaction was probably due to frustration.

“It is not the most lucky season and of course there is a kind of frustration in him,” said the Reds boss.

"There is nothing good to say about the reaction but as a former footballer when I saw the other challenge then to be honest I understand a little bit.

“It is not to excuse it but, when we played football, we all did things we were not proud of and as long as no-one is seriously injured afterwards after a few days no-one will speak about it again.”

...alluringly thrown together by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from The Independent article

Jurgen Klopp will talk to Virgil van Dijk ahead of Southampton return

Show/hide article…

Jurgen Klopp will personally talk to Virgil van Dijk ahead of the Liverpool defender’s return to face former club Southampton.

The Netherlands international became the world’s most expensive defender when he joined Liverpool from Southampton for £75m in January and is in line to come up against his former employers at St Mary’s in their Premier League fixture on Sunday.

Van Dijk is expected to receive a fiery reception from the Southampton supporters given the nature of his Anfield switch.

Liverpool were forced to abandon their pursuit of the Dutch international last summer and publicly apologised for an alleged illegal approach. Van Dijk stayed with the Saints until the transfer window opened again this year although signalled his intentions to leave the south coast club.

“For sure, I will talk to Virgil about it,” Klopp said. “With other players I didn’t talk about it because I didn’t know or look where they were coming from. I will talk to him of course.

“We are all human beings, we are influenced by circumstances. It will not be a normal game, how can it be? It was a special story most of the time really positive and then the end not that positive.

“I think how football fans are they want to disturb everything we try to do to help their team and they will whistle. Is it nice? I don’t think so. Will it have influence? I don’t think so but we will see but we cannot make it too big and I don’t make it too big.

“We really think much more about the football game and what we have to do and not about how we can avoid different situations from outside because we don’t have influence. We have to accept it how it is: loud, not nice maybe, but still we have to play football. We have to go there and play football and nothing else. I don’t think anyone at Southampton will say we’ve stolen him or something.

“It was a very public deal and the numbers, even when they are not 100 per cent right, are I think ok so maybe they are really happy and they say ‘Thank you for all the money we have now’ – or it could be the other way around.”

Van Dijk became the sixth Southampton player signed by Liverpool since 2014 - at a total cost of £171.5m and Klopp made light of sizable contingent at Anfield.

“Now it is two times a year – last season it was four times – that we play against Southampton,” he added. “Since I’m in not only the players we have but especially half the Premier League if you ask ‘Where is he coming from. The answer? Southampton’. So there are obviously a few more players.

“Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is obviously from there, he took a different way, and Theo Walcott as well. Good players from this area – maybe we should have the scouting department directly in Southampton starting very early!

“Even with centre-halves here we have a problem if you say no Southampton players. We’d only have two left – not too cool!

“It just shows how good the work is they do there and that is more the problem we have at the weekend.”

Klopp, meanwhile, denied that Germany midfielder Emre Can had agreed a contract with Italian side Juventus despite their ongoing pursuit of the player.

“No. Nothing new about that,” Klopp said when asked if Can had signed a deal. “Still everything is possible. There’s nothing else to say. There’s no decision made so far.”

...intentionally mustered by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 09/02/2018 21:48:14

|

| Pellegrino predicts some stick for Van Dijk on Saints returnTEAMTALK |
| | Southampton: Pellegrino has no fresh injury concerns for Liverpool gameFANSIDEDSAINTSMARCHING |
| | This Liverpool man will cause Southampton havoc on SundayREADSOUTHAMPTON |

...frightfully contrived by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from The Telegraph article

Southampton vs Liverpool FC preview - team news, injuries and suspensions

Show/hide article…

Virgil van Dijk is expected to start on his first return to Southampton since his £75million January move.

Fellow defenders Ragnar Klavan and Alberto Moreno have recovered from muscle injuries to take their places in the squad.

Right-back Joe Gomez is unlikely to feature because of a minor knee problem while midfielder Adam Lallana returns after a thigh problem.

Adam Lallana is in contention for the Liverpool bench against Southampton on Sunday despite his dismissal for the Under-23 team in midweek, manager Juergen Klopp said on Friday.

Lallana has struggled with injury this season and was given a run-out for Liverpool’s junior team against Spurs when he reacted angrily to an aerial clash with 19-year-old George Marsh, grabbing him round the throat.

Klopp has spoken to the England midfielder about the loss of temper that led to his sending-off.

"It’s not nice. I spoke to him, it’s not how it should be. He wasn’t happy about the reaction and I wasn’t either. He’s an option for the squad (on Sunday), maybe not the first XI, " Klopp said.

“He looks fresh and good but we need to settle a bit and use Adam as there are about 18-19 games to go.”

Lallana is one of six Liverpool players signed from Southampton since 2014, with a seventh ex-Saint, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, recruited via Arsenal, a statistic Klopp admitted gives an extra dimension to the game at St Mary’s.

...reddeningly hatched by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Mail article

Jurgen Klopp expects Virgil van Dijk to be booed on Southampton return

Show/hide article…

Jurgen Klopp will speak to Virgil van Dijk ahead of his return to Southampton and urge the £75million defender not to get caught up in emotion.

The Holland international is guaranteed a hot reception back at St Mary’s, given the acrimonious way his relationship with the club ended. Van Dijk had handed in a transfer request last summer in an attempt to secure a move to Liverpool and criticised the way Southampton treated him.

Van Dijk has since made a steady start to life on Merseyside since becoming the most expensive defender in history but he recognises Sunday’s game will be a test of his emotions and not just skill.

It is for that reason Klopp will discuss with Van Dijk how to approach the situation and he wants to ignore the boos and whistles that will accompany his every touch.

Klopp said: 'We are all human beings, we are influenced by circumstances. It will not be a normal game, how can it be? It was a special story, most of the time really positive, and then the end not that positive.

'I think how football fans are, they want to disturb everything we try to do to help their team and they will whistle. Is it nice? I don’t think so. Will it have influence? I don’t think so but we will see but we cannot make it too big and I don’t make it too big.

'Yes it is quite special and I know that but that’s all. We really think much more about the football game and what we have to do and not about how we can avoid different situations from outside because we don’t have influence.

‘We have to accept it how it is: loud, not nice maybe, but still we have to play football.’

Klopp, meanwhile, has spoken with Adam Lallana in recent days about his conduct and reminded the midfielder that he cannot act in the way he did during an Under-23 game at Tottenham when he was sent off for violent conduct.

Lallana has endured a season decimated by injuries and his frustrations boiled over after he was on the end of a number of heavy challenges.

‘We wanted him to have match time,’ said Klopp.

'He had 60 minutes roundabout. It’s not nice and I spoke to him about it, it’s not how it should be and he’s not happy about it. Adam is not happy about the reaction as I was not happy about it but it doesn’t change my mind about Adam so he is on the way back - again.

‘He was already a few times back and it was a little bit early so we will not rush but he is an option for the squad if he is not an option for the first XI.’

Klopp added: 'He is in a good shape, really quick, he looks fresh and good and we think, “What can we do with him”, but it has happened twice so we need to settle a little bit and use him still as there are 18/19/20 games to go.

'Adam didn’t play football and he was fine with it, it had nothing to do with the fact he was angry he had to play under-23s. It is not the most lucky season and of course there is a kind of frustration in him.

'There is nothing good to say about the reaction but as a former footballer when I saw the other challenge then to be honest I understand a little bit.

‘It is not to excuse it but we all did, when we played football, things we were not proud of and as long as no-one is seriously injured afterwards after a few days no-one will speak about it again.’

...inconsiderately carved by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Southampton FC - Official Site article

PL Cup: Saints vs Cardiff

Show/hide article…

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are consenting to their use. View cookie policy.

...creatively whittled by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

:movie_camera:

#SaintsFCU23s coach @RadhijaidiOff gives his post-match thoughts on tonight’s narrow loss to #CardiffCity:

Retweets: 0

Favourites: 1

...cantankerously originated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 09/02/2018 22:48:28

| | Southampton reception for Van Dijk ‘will not be the most friendly,’ suspects KloppTHE42 |
| | Melwood photos: Reds train ahead of Saints tripLIVFCNET |
|

| 4-3-3, Tadic dropped: How Southampton must line up against Liverpool on SundayFOOTBALLFANCAST |
| | Southampton star’s agent says other Premier League teams are interested in himSPORTWITNESS |
| | Premier League talking pointsBTSPORT |
| | Southampton vs Liverpool: Last time out - Can Saints achieve another shock result?READSOUTHAMPTON |
| | Klopp braces Van Dijk for Southampton return – Click LiverpoolCLICKLIVERPOOL |
| | Klopp expecting a hot reception for Van Dijk at SouthamptonIRELANDCOM |
| | Southampton vs. Liverpool - Football Match Preview - February 11, 2018 - ESPNESPNCOUK |
| | Watch: Jürgen Klopp’s Southampton previewLIVFCNET |
| | What has happened to Sadio Mane’s goals? | Goal.comGOALDOTCOM |
| | Gosport sign Harvey Read from Eastleigh - News - Gosport Borough Football ClubGOSPORTBOROUGHFC |
| | Jurgen Klopp reveals what he finds confusing about Southampton this seasonREADSOUTHAMPTON |

...disorientedly formulated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Mail article

Liverpool train as McManaman backs Salah to emulate club legends

Show/hide article…

Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool side were in high spirits as they set to work at Melwood ahead of Sunday’s trip to Southampton.

The players were enjoying each other’s company with Mo Salah and Danny Ings howling with laughter during one drill.

The Egyptian is unsurprisingly relishing life on Merseyside having scored 28 times in 34 matches since joining the Reds from Roma.

He was among the likes of Virgil van Dijk, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and James Milner who all appeared to be loving their work on a chilly day.

Salah may not be used to such brisk conditions but his adaptation to life on the pitch has impressed Steve McManaman who believes the winger can emulate the club’s great goal-scorers.

‘He looks like he will score goals for a long time,’ said the 45-year-old, speaking at a Liverpool Legends training session ahead of a meeting with their Bayern Munich counterparts at Anfield next month.

'It was like when Robbie (Fowler) played or Michael (Owen); you always expected them every single year because of the movement and the goals they scored so to score another 25, no problem.

‘And he (Salah) looks as if he will do it every single year now. If he keeps on settling in and improving you fancy him to score all the time.’

Some have criticised Salah for some spurned chances after getting himself in the right position but McManaman is heartened by the speedsters ability to shake off misses and come back for more.

'Every single game he just seems to be scoring and surprising everyone and even when he is missing chances he is in the right position.

'All right he has missed some but I’d be more worried if he wasn’t getting them. You can’t argue with it.

‘He is getting in positions when maybe you think he shouldn’t be getting there but the pace he has means he can get away from defenders and is good over a few yards and in tight spaces where he can move away from defenders,’ he concluded.

...intermittently instantiated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 09/02/2018 23:48:41

| | Blood Red podcast - why Liverpool stepped away from Thomas LemarGOLIVERPOOL |
| | Preview: Southampton vs. Liverpool - prediction, team news, lineupsSPORTSMOLE |
| | Lallana in contention for Reds recall at SouthamptonGOLIVERPOOL |
| | Saints forward’s agent claims that other top flight sides want to land himREADSOUTHAMPTON |
| | Klopp admits he will give Reds star special preparation ahead of Saints tripREADLIVERPOOL |
| | 4-3-3: Klopp Makes 2 Changes | Expected Liverpool XI vs Southampton | Football Talk | Premier League NewsFOOTBALLTALK |
| | Ryan Seager out to impress at boyhood club Yeovil TownSOMERSETLIVE |

...protractedly modelled by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from ESPN FC article

Liverpool will hope Van Dijk comes up big at Southampton

Show/hide article…

Southampton fans are no doubt warming up their vocal chords in readiness for this Sunday’s clash with Liverpool. Former Saints stars Adam Lallana and Dejan Lovren are always given a rough ride from the home crowd whenever they return to St. Mary’s, and it’s a certainty that Virgil van Dijk can expect similar treatment as he returns to face the teammates he left behind when he moved to Merseyside last month.

Sadio Mane and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain will complete a quintet of former Southampton men in the Liverpool squad this weekend although a sixth, right-back Nathaniel Clyne, is still sidelined with a long-term back problem. Mane and Clyne have been spared the ire of the Saints fans, who have tended to reserve most of their hostility for Lovren. Until now, anyway, as Van Dijk might provide him with some competition on that front.

All eyes will be on the £75 million man this Sunday, but that’s something he needs to get used to. The spotlight may be on him a little more than usual with it being his first time back at Southampton, but everything he does will be intensely scrutinised until the time comes when he is no longer the world’s most expensive defender and some of the focus is taken away from him.

All things considered, Van Dijk has been fine so far. He hasn’t provided an instant fix to Liverpool’s defensive problems, but that was never going to be the case, as these things take time. Goals have been conceded, but that was to be expected. It will take time to become comfortable with a new style of play and to form an understanding with new teammates.

That process is underway but is being slowed somewhat due to Jurgen Klopp’s rotation policy. Van Dijk himself has had to sit out a couple of games, and when he has played, it’s often been with different players alongside him in the back four. It hasn’t always been the same goalkeeper behind him either. None of this makes it easy for a new player.

There are still some things to iron out defensively, but on the plus side, the Netherlands international has so far proved to be a big threat in the opposition box, and Southampton will be fully aware of the danger he poses. Van Dijk scored the winning goal on his debut against Everton in the FA Cup, and next time out, he saw an effort flash narrowly wide in the defeat at Swansea. He also provided the cross from which Roberto Firmino almost equalised in the dying seconds of that game.

His next outing was against West Brom, when he went close to scoring a late equaliser in a 3-2 FA Cup defeat, while last Sunday against Spurs, he again looked threatening and went close to finding the net only to be denied by Hugo Lloris. Van Dijk was not signed for the impact he can make in the opposition box, though. He will be judged by how many goals Liverpool concede rather than how many he scores, but the Reds have not posed this much of a threat from set-pieces since the days of Sami Hyypia.

Van Dijk should expect to be useful at both ends as he helps new club Liverpool defeat his former team.

Klopp’s main focus has to be on this season, but he would also be wise to have an eye looking towards the future. Van Dijk is the centrepiece of Liverpool’s defence moving forward, but who plays alongside him is still very much up in the air.

Lovren got the nod against Spurs, but as Tony Evans wrote earlier this week, the Croatia international is prone to costly mistakes and does not have the trust of the crowd. Klopp has always been a big supporter of Lovren, but every man has his breaking point and if Klopp hasn’t reached his with Lovren yet, it’s only a matter of time before he does. Just ask Simon Mignolet.

Joel Matip has blown hot and cold this season, and though he’s not as error prone as Lovren, it’s hard to make the case that overall he has been that much better. It’s a toss-up right now as to who partners Van Dijk on Sunday.

While there could possibly be two former Southampton central defenders in the Liverpool team, there will certainly be a former Liverpool central defender selecting the Southampton one. Mauricio Pellegrino’s brief stint at Anfield in 2005 wasn’t particularly memorable, but he served a purpose. He was never the quickest, but by the time he joined Liverpool at the end of his career, the only gear he had left was first. Nevertheless, his presence indirectly contributed to Liverpool winning the Champions League that year, as Rafa Benitez would often bring him in for Hyypia for Premier League games to keep the big Finland international rested for Europe.

Liverpool are chasing Champions League glory again this year, of course, but the more realistic aim is to secure a top four position to ensure they are in next year’s competition. Currently they’re well placed to do that sitting in third spot, but it’s tight up there and could go right down to the wire.

Victory at St Mary’s would be extra sweet for the large former Southampton contingent in the Liverpool squad, but more importantly it would see Klopp’s men increase their lead over Spurs and/or Arsenal, who face off in the North London derby on Saturday.

Dave Usher is one of ESPN’s Liverpool bloggers and the founder of LFC fanzine and website The Liverpool Way. Follow him on Twitter: @theliverpoolway.

...heartenedly formulated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Southampton FC - Official Site article

U23 Report: Saints 0-1 Cardiff

Show/hide article…

The Bluebirds squandered a first-half penalty opportunity, with Southampton’s Kingsley Latham producing a fine save from Mark Harris’s effort, but the home side forwent the chance to solidify their position at the top of their group.

Radhi Jaïdi’s side probed throughout the 90 minutes, chances falling in their droves to Michael Obafemi, but Saints were rather wasteful in the final third, and couldn’t profit from large spells of pressure. Cardiff, conversely, playing away from home and conceding much of the play, made their scarcer chances count.

After a clumsy start, in which the visitors had a gift of a chance to take the lead inside two minutes, Saints began to settle and goalmouth action was plentifull.

Latham was the hero early on. A rather fortuitous penalty was awarded the way of the visitors, after Aaron O’Driscoll’s unavoidable close range hand ball was penalised, with Harris striking hard and low from 12 yards to Latham’s right.

The stopper judged the direction accurately, and the flight of the ball equally well, getting a strong glove to the spot-kick and turning it around the post. Saints survived the warning shot, much to the dismay of the away side.

All inside the first 20 minutes, Will Wood guided a 25 yard free-kick goalward, which fizzed off the turf allowing George Ratcliffe to gather, before Obafemi seized upon a hat-trick of chances.

Tyreke Johnson advanced down the left, crossed searchingly towards Obafemi who couldn’t connect, and in almost identical fashion moments later, a similar move created a chance akin to the first, but the 6ft 4’ frame of first-team veteran Matthew Connolly provided adequate obstruction.

Callum Slattery’s craftsmanship in midfield was Saints’ greatest first half threat. The 19-year-old was gliding across the pitch, always looking for a forward run, linking well with Saints’ wide players.

And that productive combination produced yet another chance for Obafemi just before half time. Johnson slipped the ball through to the young striker, an incisive pass, who swivelled and put his laces through the shot. Ciaron Brown intercepted, smartly, as Jaïdi’s side failed to capitalise on their dominance.

Despite conceding the opening chance of the second period - a driving run from Kadeem Hamis culminating in a free header for striker Ogo Obi - the home side were nearly in front soon after.

Nathan Tella motored down the right, squared a ball to Smallbone, who couldn’t break the deadlock, before Slattery’s follow up shot was sliced off target. Cardiff’s Jacob Evans tested Latham on the hour mark, but again, no breakthrough.

Relative stalemate ensued, before Saints were eventually undone in the 76th minute. Substitute Gyasi provided the finish to a Danny Rowe delivery, arriving late at the back post to send the ball past a helpless Latham.

The deficit prompted a double change from Jaïdi, introducing Siph Mdlalose and Tom O’Connor, in a bid to change the waning fortunes of Saints. But neither had the time to make a significant impact, before the home side were forced accept defeat at the hands of the gleeful Bluebirds, and forgo the chance to bolster their group position.

...subduedly contrived by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 10/02/2018 00:48:55

|

| 'We have seen much better Southampton sides than this one’GOLIVERPOOL |

...soothingly generated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from ESPN FC article

Virgil van Dijk now ‘part of the past’ for Southampton - Pellegrino

Show/hide article…

Mauricio Pellegrino accepts some Southampton fans will be ready to vent their anger at Virgil van Dijk when he returns to St Mary’s Stadium – but feels the Dutchman is now "part of the past.’’

Netherlands international van Dijk left the Saints to join Liverpool in a £75 million deal at the start of the January transfer window, making him the world’s most expensive defender.

Reds boss Jurgen Klopp accepts "it will probably not be the most friendly’’ welcome awaiting the centre-back on Sunday.

Pellegrino, though, wants everyone to move on from the protracted saga, with Southampton having made a healthy return from the £11.5m they paid to bring Van Dijk from Celtic in September 2015.

"We have to be grateful with him, and now we have to think Virgil is part of the past,’’ the Argentine said. "But he did well in our club and he left some profit to the club. Now, we have to be focused in our game, in what we have to do.

"We will be playing against one of the best teams in the Premier League, they are are a really strong side and so we will have to do lots of things very well.’’

Pellegrino continued at a press conference, as broadcast on the club’s official website: "It is difficult, because there is no true [idea] about one situation – one person can be grateful with him, and one person can say ‘boo’.

"Every single person has an opinion about everybody, and we have to respect that, but I think our fans are really respectful with ex-players. I prefer our fans to be supportive of our (current) players, to be behind us.

"Our players have to be focused to give our supporters a good attitude with good energy, with 100 percent on the pitch.’’

Pellegrino says no-one should hold Van Dijk, or indeed any other player, responsible for the hefty transfer fees of the modern game.

"Most of the players have been playing from their childhood because they love the game,’’ the Southampton manager said.

"They are growing, they are a professional and then suddenly we are talking about £50m, £70m, £100m – they are part of the game, but not involved in the huge business behind the game.’’

Southampton are on an unbeaten run of four Premier League matches following last weekend’s 3-2 win at West Brom, which lifted them to 15th.

Pellegrino is confident his players can again produce the required performance against a club he knows well, having spent a short spell with Liverpool under Rafael Benitez towards the end of his playing career.

"One of the most important things is belief, and I feel we have been growing little by little since January. Now we have got a huge test to try to keep going,’’ he said.

...solitarily introduced by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Echo article

Holders Sholing join Saints and Lymington Town in the Southampton Senior Cup semis

Show/hide article…

SHOLING’S defence of the Southampton Senior Cup remains on track.

The Boatmen are through to the semi-final stage following a hard-fought 1-0 win over neighbours Hamble Club at the Universal Stadium.

It was an up and down night in front of goal for marksman Lee Wort.

Having had a penalty saved and blazed the rebound over, he scored the only goal of the game just five minutes later.

Hamble bossed most of the second half but Sholing withstood the pressure to book a last-four tie against Team Solent or Blackfield & Langley, who meet at Test Park on Monday (7.30pm).

For Hamble Club, it was their third cup exit in just over a week, having bowed out of the Hampshire Senior Cup at Havant & Waterlooville and the FA Vase at Windsor.

Southampton Senior Cup semi-finals: Sholing v Team Solent or Blackfield & Langley (Tuesday, February 27, 7.30pm at AFC Totton); Southampton FC v Lymington Town (Thursday, March 1, 7.30pm at Blackfield & Langley FC).

Hamble Club host Shaftesbury in the Sydenhams Premier Division tomorrow (3pm) while Sholing visit Horndean.

...arbitrarily developed by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!