OptiNews - Friday 09 to Thursday 15 February 2018

Sourced from Southampton FC - Official Site article

Gallery: Final plans for Liverpool

Show/hide article…

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are consenting to their use. View cookie policy.

Go to the original article…

...discretely brought into being by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers summary article summary

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 09/02/2018 18:47:32

| | ‘Liverpool didn’t steal Virgil van Dijk’ - Jurgen Klopp drops £75m fee reminder as Reds prepare for frosty reception …GOALDOTCOM |
| | Rating Liverpool’s Southampton signings in the Premier League eraGOLIVERPOOL |
| | Klopp discusses Lallana’s red card and what it means for his returnGOLIVERPOOL |
| | SPORTSKEEDA |

...bloodthirstily brought into existence by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers’ RSS Feed rss feed

Read Southampton

New content from (- Read Southampton)

| Jurgen Klopp reveals what he finds confusing about Southampton this season | Jurgen Klopp has expressed his confusion as to why Southampton currently find themselves so low down on the Premier … 09-02-2018 |

Older content…

| Southampton vs Liverpool: Last time out - Can Saints achieve another shock result?18 hours ago |
| This Liverpool man will cause Southampton havoc on Sunday18 hours ago |
| Southampton predicted XI: Liverpool (H)18 hours ago |
| What is Southampton’s strongest starting line-up?2 days ago |
| Southampton pair shown the exit door2 days ago |
| Saints midfielder reveals why he feels the club will stay up3 days ago |
| Pellegrino discusses why defender has been performing so well3 days ago |
| Van Dijk: I’m not bothered if Southampton fans boo me3 days ago |
| Southampton pick up three crucial points away at West Brom to ease relegation fears4 days ago |

...unaffectedly spawned by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Mirror.co.uk article

Klopp reveals Van Dijk preparation ahead of hostile return to Southampton

Show/hide article…

Jurgen Klopp has revealed he will hold special talks with Virgil van Dijk ahead of his hotly anticipated return to Southampton.

The Liverpool boss accepts his record signing will receive a hostile reception from the Saints fans who remain furious about his departure… despite the £75m fee Liverpool paid into their coffers.

Klopp knows only too well how delicate a subject it is for the St Marys faithful, given the Reds have spent £170m on snatching Southampton players in recent seasons, and he joked:

“There are a few good players from there so maybe we should have a scouting department at Southampton!”

But he knows the Southampton fans will do everything possible to get to van Dijk and undermine Liverpool in their pursuit of a desperately needed victory, and that is why he will quietly sit down for a chat with the Dutch centre half.

“Yes, for sure I’ll talk to Virgil about going back there. It won’t be a normal game. It won’t be a friendly game, they fight for everything, we fight for everything,” he said.

“It is obviously quite special, it was not on purpose. It just happened. I don’t know exactly but it probably will not be the most friendly. We are all human beings. It is nice you think he can handle it. We are all influenced by circumstances.

“It is a possibility the reaction is not that positive. That is how fans are they will want to try and do everything they can to help their team and disturb us. So they will whistle.”

Klopp though, cheekily suggested perhaps Saints fans should be THANKING Liverpool, for giving the club so much money in recent years… which has allowed them to maintain a strong Premier League presence.

“They have really good centre halves there so it was the perfect business if you want,” he said.

“It is nothing we think about. I don’t think Southampton will say we have stolen him.

“It was a very public deal and the numbers, even when they are not 100 per cent right, are I think ok so maybe they are really happy and they say ‘Thank you for all the money we have now’ – or it could be the other way around.

“Southampton were always really nice with Clyney, Adam Lallana they missed most, Dejan Lovren, Sadio Mane was ok and Virgil is the last one. I really understand that.”

Klopp also insisted Liverpool will not be distracted from what is a huge game in their pursuit of a top four place.

“Is it nice? I don’t think so. Will it have influence? I don’t think so but we will see but we cannot make it too big and I don’t make it too big.

“Yes it is quite special and I know that but that’s all. We really think much more about the football game and what we have to do and not about how we can avoid different situations from outside because we don’t have influence.

“We have to accept it how it is: loud, not nice maybe, but still we have to play football.”

The Liverpool manager was also asked about Emre Can and reports he has agreed a pre-contract deal to join Juventus in the summer, but he insisted there is no such deal in place – and the Reds can still persuade the midfielder to sign a new contract before it expires at the end of the season.

“He hasn’t said so, I have heard nothing new about that. So I think still everything is possible. When we can say something we will, but no decision has been made,” Klopp said.

...feelingly thrown together by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from talkSPORT article

Players who have made a name for themselves at every Premier League club this season

Show/hide article…

Arsenal are set to reward Ainsley Maitland-Niles with a new contract following his impressive performances this season.

The 20-year-old made his first Premier League start against West Ham in December and is highly thought of by manager Arsene Wenger.

Maitland-Niles currently has 18 months to run on his current deal but the Gunners are keen to tie down the versatile performer to a long-term contract.

The development follows an impressive breakthrough season for the youngster, who has made a name for himself in the Premier League this campaign.

But who else has made a name for themselves at other Premier League clubs this season?

Click the right arrow, above, to find out…

...flowingly created by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Mirror.co.uk article

Klopp reveals genius idea to avoid Liverpool spending big on Southampton stars

Show/hide article…

Jurgen Klopp has come up with an innovative new way to help Liverpool avoid spending heavily on Southampton’s star players moving forward.

The Reds have a history of pinching Saints’ top operators, with Virgil van Dijk the latest to swap St Mary’s for Anfield in a £75m deal last month.

Adam Lallana, Dejan Lovren, Nathaniel Clyne and Sadio Mane have also made the same move, but Klopp has joked how the Reds can avoid this trend in future.

“There have been a lot of good players from that area (Southampton),” Klopp said ahead of the clash against Mauricio Pellegrino’s side this weekend.

“Maybe we should have our scouting department down there.”

A hostile reception will be in store for Van Dijk, who endured a difficult relationship with Saints fans over the last year as he pushed for his dream move.

Klopp will hope to take advantage of Chelsea’s game on Monday vs West Brom by beating Saints to open up a four-point gap in the race for a top four finish.

Before kick-off, the Reds could find themselves in fourth though with Tottenham able to leapfrog them and the champions by beating Arsenal on Saturday.

...adequately whittled by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from A tweet by SouthamptonFC tweet

@SouthamptonFC - Southampton FC

1: Showtime at Staplewood Campus, where #SaintsFCU23s are taking on #CardiffCity in the #PLCup :trophy:

:desktop_computer: WATCH LIVE:… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/962038373606072320

Retweets: 1

Favourites: 3

...concertedly formulated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

3’ PENALTY SAVE!

#SaintsFCU23s Kingsley Latham does brilliantly to save from the spot after an early handball! :clap:

Retweets: 3

Favourites: 19

...beatifically fathered by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Southampton should be happy with Virgil van Dijk deal, says Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp

Show/hide article…

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp insists they did not “steal” Virgil van Dijk from Southampton and the south-coast club should be happy with the world-record fee they received.

The Holland international became the most expensive defender in history when he left the Saints in a £75million deal in January, becoming the sixth Saints player to move to Anfield since 2014.

He can expect a hot reception when the Reds head to St Mary’s on Sunday and Klopp has admitted he could be in for a ‘not be the most friendly’ return.

Van Dijk’s move came six months after the Reds were forced into an embarrassing public climbdown regarding their interest in the player after being threatened with a tapping-up charge.

Van Dijk handed in a transfer request and played just 12 matches in the first half of the season but in the intervening period the acrimony between the two clubs subsided.

And while Klopp still expects the Dutchman to be targeted by home fans on his return, he insists it should not be a big deal.

“It will not be the most friendly but I’m not sure,” said Klopp.

"I don’t think anyone at Southampton will say we’ve stolen him or something.

"It was a very public deal and the numbers, even when they are not 100 per cent right, are I think OK so maybe they are really happy and they say ‘Thank you for all the money we have now’ - or it could be the other way around.

"Since I’m in (at Liverpool) not only the players we have but half the Premier League if you ask ‘Where is he coming from… Southampton’ so there are obviously a few more players.

"Even with centre-halves (Van Dijk and Lovren) we have a problem if you say no Southampton players. We’d only have two (centre-backs) left - not too cool.

“(There are) good players from this area - maybe we should have the scouting department directly in Southampton starting very early!”

Despite playing down the Southampton reunion, which will also see Sadio Mane, Dejan Lovren and Adam Lallana head back to their old club - Nathaniel Clyne is injured - Klopp will speak to Van Dijk about his focus.

But he is confident the 26-year-old is well equipped to deal with it.

“Yes, for sure, I will talk to Virgil about it,” the Reds boss added.

"With other players I didn’t talk about it because I didn’t know or look where they were coming from.

"We are all human beings, we are influenced by circumstances. It will not be a normal game, how can it be?

"I think how football fans are, they want to disturb everything we try to do to help their team and they will whistle.

"Is it nice? I don’t think so. Will it have influence? I don’t think so but we will see but we cannot make it too big.

“We have to accept it how it is: loud, not nice maybe, but still we have to play football.”

...adequately carved by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Star article

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp sends message to Southampton ahead of Virgil van Dijk return

Show/hide article…

And the Kop believes the Saints should be happy with the world-record £75m fee they received for the Dutchman.

Van Dijk became the most expensive defender in history when he finally left the south coast for Anfield in January.

His move came six months after the Reds were forced into an embarrassing public apology for their aggressive transfer tactics surrounding the saga.

Klopp expects the 26-year-old to be targeted by home fans on his return to St Mary’s on Southampton but insists it should not be a big deal.

“It will not be the most friendly but I’m not sure,” said Klopp. "I don’t think anyone at Southampton will say we’ve stolen him or something.

"It was a very public deal and the numbers, even when they are not 100 per cent right, are I think OK so maybe they are really happy and they say ‘Thank you for all the money we have now’ - or it could be the other way around.

...dubiously sculpted by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Oxlade-Chamberlain and Wilshere in: England’s starting XI for the 2018 World Cup if picked right now

Show/hide article…

We are just over four months away from the kick-off of the World Cup, and England fans are starting to predict who will be part of Gareth Southgate’s Three Lions squad in Russia.

The best-performing English players in the Premier League are all being tipped for summer call-ups, and people are trying to figure out who best fits the 3-5-2 formation Southgate has revealed he will use at the tournament.

But, who would be in Southgate’s squad if it was picked right now? Click the right arrow, above, to see talkSPORT’s England line-up based on the most in-form players at this moment in time…

...subconsciously thought-up by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from A tweet by goal tweet

@goal - Goal

Watch out, @SouthamptonFC!

Jurgen Klopp is keeping an even closer eye on the next batch of talent coming through t… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/962044646338715648

Retweets: 4

Favourites: 32

...neurotically brought into being by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers summary article summary

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 09/02/2018 19:47:45

| | The Saints Worries Easing Injury WiseVITALFOOTBALL |

...away bred by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers’ RSS Feed rss feed

Read Southampton

New content from (- Read Southampton)

| Southampton vs Liverpool: Predicted Opposition XI | Southampton host Liverpool on Sunday and are looking to keep their six-match unbeaten streak in all competitions … 09-02-2018 |

Older content…

| Jurgen Klopp reveals what he finds confusing about Southampton this season19 hours ago |
| Southampton vs Liverpool: Last time out - Can Saints achieve another shock result?19 hours ago |
| This Liverpool man will cause Southampton havoc on Sunday19 hours ago |
| Southampton predicted XI: Liverpool (H)19 hours ago |
| What is Southampton’s strongest starting line-up?2 days ago |
| Southampton pair shown the exit door2 days ago |
| Saints midfielder reveals why he feels the club will stay up3 days ago |
| Pellegrino discusses why defender has been performing so well3 days ago |
| Van Dijk: I’m not bothered if Southampton fans boo me3 days ago |

...measuringly given life to by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

HALF-TIME: #SaintsFCU23s 0-0 #CardiffCity

Latham’s penalty save keeps the scores level at Staplewood at the inter… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/962049978314059778

Retweets: 2

Favourites: 8

...enviously generated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Echo article

Pellegrino wants Saints fans to avoid wasting time on Van Dijk

Show/hide article…

MAURICIO Pellegrino has urged Saints’ supporters to rally behind his players rather than jeer Virgil van Dijk on his return to St Mary’s with Liverpool on Sunday.

The Netherlands international left Saints under a cloud last month in a world record (for a defender) £75m switch to Anfield, having pushed for the exit door in the summer months during a protracted transfer stand-off.

Saints fans have previously lobbed taunts at Liverpool’s contingent of former St Mary’s men, especially centre-back Dejan Lovren, who left in bad blood back in 2014 in a £20m transfer.

“One group of people can be grateful for him and one people can say ‘boo’, but it’s not about this. Every single person has got an opinion and we have to respect that,” said Pellegrino about Van Dijk’s return with Liverpool in Sunday’s Premier League match.

“I think our fans are really respectful with ex-players and I prefer that our fans are focused on supporting our players and get behind us.

“Our players must be focused and give to our supporters with good feeling, attitude and energy to try to be 100 per cent on the pitch.”

Pellegrino, who has led his side on a six-game unbeaten run in all competitions, believes Saints should be thankful to Van Dijk, especially as the money brought by his departure led to the club’s capture of £19.2m striker Guido Carrillo from Monaco in January.

“I think we have to be grateful with him and now we have to think that Virgil is part of the past. He did well in our club and he left some profit to the club and we have to be grateful.

“But Virgil is part of the past and we have to focus on our game and what we have to do.”

Since Van Dijk, who joined Saints from Celtic in 2015 in a £13m deal, left for Merseyside, his old club have been beaten just once in eight games.

However, Pellegrino does not believe there is a link between the Dutchman leaving and their upturn in fortunes.

“I don’t think so. We’ve won, we’ve lost and drawn with Virgil and we’ve won, we’ve lost and we’ve drawn without Virgil,” he said.

“We cannot use this as an excuse and the evolution of the team has to be about the small situations.

“But the small situations are part of the context but we can’t use that as an excuse. It would be really easy for us to not take the responsibility and punish someone else.

“Sometimes it’s easy but we have to take our responsibility and, okay, when we don’t play well it’s about us, not about one player.”

Saints were defeated 3-0 by Liverpool at Anfield in November, with Mohamed Salah netting twice in a dominant display.

Although they were beaten by Swansea City recently, Jurgen Klopp’s side are third in the Premier League and are the second highest scorers in the top-flight.

Saints are in good form themselves, having ended their 12-game Premier League winless run against West Bromwich Albion last weekend, but Pellegrino admits his team have to be “perfect” to get anything from this game.

“It was an important game (the West Brom win) but we have to continue and now we have a massive game in front of us,” he said.

“Liverpool is a huge possibility for us but a really tough side. We want to learn and we want to improve from our experience away and we have to improve in different aspects in the way we play.

“Hopefully we feel at the end of the game that we are growing and we are continuing with this feeling.

“When you play against this side you have to do everything perfectly to try to beat a Champions League team like Liverpool.

“But, for us, I think we are in a good situation to try and play against them.”

...yawningly hewn by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Sky Sports article

Southampton v Liverpool preview: Virgil Van Dijk returns to St Mary’s

Show/hide article…

Virgil van Dijk returns to Southampton for the first time since his £75m move to Liverpool when the sides meet on Sunday, live on Sky Sports Premier League.

If the Saints fail to win, Mauricio Pellegrino’s side will equal a club record of seven home Premier League games without victory.

Pellegrino made 13 appearances for the Reds under Rafa Benitez in 2005, before serving as his assistant at Anfield between 2008-2010.

The Saints’ win at West Brom last week was their first in 13 Premier League games and they could give record-signing Guido Carrillo his first home start for the visit of Liverpool.

Van Dijk is the latest of six players to move from St Mary’s to Anfield since June 2014, for a combined total of £172.5 million, but his arrival has coincided with a spate of late goals conceded by the Merseysiders.

Harry Kane’s 95th-minute penalty in a 2-2 draw with Spurs last Sunday was the fifth they had shipped from the 80th minute onwards since January 1, more than any other team in the Premier League.

Things are going better for the Reds at the other end of the pitch, and they are the top scorers away from home of any club in the top five European leagues this season, with 32 from 13 games.

Southampton manager Mauricio Pellegrino reported no fresh injury problems ahead of Sunday’s Premier League match against Liverpool.

Striker Manolo Gabbiadini had been carrying a hip problem last weekend against West Brom, where the Italian was an unused substitute in the 3-2 away win.

Charlie Austin, though, remains out as the forward continues to recover from a hamstring injury.

Defenders Ragnar Klavan and Alberto Moreno have recovered from muscle injuries to take their places in the squad.

Right-back Joe Gomez is unlikely to feature because of a minor knee problem while midfielder Adam Lallana returns after a thigh problem.

I was a bit disappointed with Liverpool last weekend, they were given the runaround in the second half by Spurs and didn’t know what to do. In big matches, they generally turn up, and I haven’t seen too many teams do that to them.

With Southampton, it’s down to results earlier in the weekend. Depending on what happens they might be able to stick 10 behind the ball and go for a 0-0, and it might be a bonus. They had a massive result at West Brom last week. I think Liverpool will win, but it could easily be 1-1.

Southampton are nowhere near the worst team, but they could have won more easily - I think they set up too negatively at home when they have got the players to have a go. They could upset a few teams if the reins were off.

Liverpool are marginally odds-on for the victory at 4/5 with Sky Bet, with Southampton priced at 16/5 while the draw is a 14/5 chance. Mohamed Salah heads the first goalscorer betting at 7/2 while Guido Carrillo joins Manolo Gabbiadini in leading the visitors’ side of the market at 13/2 apiece.

There’s £50,000 up for grabs in Super Sunday’s late game with Southampton v Liverpool making up the Sky Sports Fantasy Six-a-Side fixture.

...audaciously moulded by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from The Telegraph article

Jurgen Klopp tells Virgil van Dijk to prepare for ‘loud and not nice’ return to Southampton

Show/hide article…

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp plans to speak to Virgil van Dijk ahead of the defender’s return to Southampton.

The Dutch centre-back joined Liverpool from Southampton for £75m in January and is set to face his former club at St Mary’s in their Premier League fixture on Sunday .

Van Dijk is expected to receive a hostile reception from Southampton fans given the protracted nature of his Anfield switch.

Liverpool were forced to abandon their pursuit of the Dutch international last summer and publicly apologised for an alleged illegal approach.

The 26-year-old remained with Southampton until the transfer window opened again this year although signalled his intentions to leave the south coast club.

“For sure, I will talk to Virgil about it,” Klopp said.

“With other players I didn’t talk about it because I didn’t know or look where they were coming from. I will talk to him of course.

“We are all human beings, we are influenced by circumstances. It will not be a normal game, how can it be? It was a special story most of the time really positive and then the end not that positive.

...egotistically devised by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

46: The #SaintsFCU23s are back under way here in the #PLCup! :trophy:

:desktop_computer: WATCH LIVE: https://youtu.be/eFcub9YIffA

Favourites: 3

...haplessly caused to be by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

57: Double opening for #SaintsFCU23s as Smallbone and Slattery go close to breaking the deadlock :lock:

Favourites: 0

...scarcely built by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!