OptiNews - Friday 01 to Thursday 07 December 2017

Sourced from Daily Star article

Pep Guardiola: I’m sorry for bizarre post-match rant at Southampton star Nathan Redmond

Show/hide article…

The FA have asked Guardiola for his observations after he was pictured in what looked like an angry exchange with the player following Manchester City’s dramatic late win against the Saints on Wednesday.

Redmond has insisted no offence was taken and confirmed the City manager’s claims that he was merely complimenting the Southampton winger.

But Guardiola still conceded that he regrets the way he went about talking to an opposition player so publicly.

“Yes,” said Guardiola when asked if he regretted his actions.

“I did it in Munich, with my old player (Joshua) Kimmich, I did the same in Dortmund and had regret there after the game and the same now.

Go to the original article…

...unfearingly dreamed-up by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Southampton FC - Official Site article

Cédric ruled out of Bournemouth trip

Show/hide article…

The manager also cast doubts over Shane Long, who is suffering with a calf problem, but asserted that the striker will continue to be monitored in the lead up to this weekend’s Premier League action.

Pellegrino said: "Cédric will not be ready for Sunday, and Shane Long has got an issue in his calf. So we’ve got some players with a problem today.

"Maybe tomorrow we’ll review, and we’ll decide how he [Long] is. The doctor will check, but today he couldn’t train, it is a little bit sore in the calf. Tomorrow we’ll make a decision.

“Most of my players are ready to compete and with the fixture calendar we have in the next two months, that is good news for us.”

...secondarily given birth to by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from A tweet by SouthamptonFC tweet

@SouthamptonFC - Southampton FC

:camera_flash:

Take a look through our images from today’s training session at Staplewood, as #SaintsFC get set for #AFCB:… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/936657148649410560

Retweets: 1

Favourites: 1

...unbiasedly erected by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers summary article summary

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 01/12/2017 18:21:24

| | Premier League In Focus – Bournemouth vs Southampton PreviewTHESTATSZONE |
| | Redmond: “Nothing negative or offensive” from PepNBCSPORTS |
| | Pep Guardiola reacts to Nathan Redmond incident after FA get involvedMANEVNEWS |

...intractably carved by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers’ RSS Feed rss feed

Read Southampton

New content from (- Read Southampton)

| Southampton Predicted XI: Bournemouth (A) | The games are coming thick and fast for Southampton, who will be hoping to get back to winning ways against … 01-12-2017 |

Older content…

| FA ask Guardiola to explain Redmond incident18 hours ago |
| Pep Guardiola explains his furious outburst at Nathan Redmond2 days ago |
| Three Standout Saints: Manchester City (A)2 days ago |
| Manchester City 2-1 Southampton: Match Report2 days ago |
| Southampton player ratings: Manchester City (A)2 days ago |
| Our man of the match: Manchester City (A)2 days ago |
| Austin questioned whether his future was with Southampton2 days ago |
| Southampton, Arsenal, Brighton, Swansea target Alessio Da Cruz3 days ago |
| Manchester City (A) - Four Key Saints3 days ago |

...expressly prepared by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Gallery: Saints train ahead of Bournemouth clash

Show/hide article…

Take a look through our images from Friday’s training session at Staplewood, as Southampton prepare to face AFC Bournemouth in the Premier League this weekend.

...mirthlessly mustered by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Sky Sports article

Bournemouth v Southampton preview: South-coast clash on Super Sunday

Show/hide article…

Bournemouth can jump above south-coast rivals Southampton in the Premier League table with victory on Super Sunday (kick-off 1.30pm).

Defeat to Burnley on Wednesday evening left Eddie Howe’s side just four points above the relegation zone and that gap could be even narrower if results go against them on Saturday.

However, three points at the Vitality Stadium this weekend would see them go above Southampton who head into the weekend in 11th place.

Mauricio Pellegrino’s side were moments away from becoming only the second team to take points off leaders Manchester City this season before Raheem Sterling’s dramatic injury-time winner on Wednesday night.

However, they have a good record against Bournemouth, only losing one of their last nine meetings.

Bournemouth will make a late decision on Junior Stanislas ahead of the game. The midfielder has been out since the end of October with a groin problem, but has resumed some training.

Defenders Brad Smith (hip) and Tyrone Mings (back) continue their rehabilitation and will not be involved.

Defender Cedric Soares, who has been ever present for Southampton this season, has been ruled out of the match after limping out of the game at Man City with a hamstring problem.

Striker Shane Long is a doubt with a calf strain and Mauricio Pellegrino has indicated Charlie Austin, who was dropped against City despite scoring twice against Everton last Sunday, is likely to start.

There hasn’t been a draw in the last eight league clashes between these two sides at the Vitality Stadium, with both sides sharing four wins apiece.

After losing their first eight Premier League games on a Sunday, scoring four goals and conceding 21, the Cherries have picked up four points from their last three (W1 D1 L1).

Southampton have won just one of their last seven away league games on a Sunday (D4 L2), though this did come at Bournemouth in December last season (3-1).

This is Southampton’s lowest points tally after 14 games of a Premier League season (16) since 2012/13 (12) - they finished that campaign in 14th place.

“Southampton are moving in the right direction - they’ve had two good performances, although the City defeat will have been disheartening. They could’ve got a draw. Bournemouth’s defeat to Burnley was a bad result for them. I think Southampton can get the win.”

Bournemouth are Sky Bet’s 9/5 outsiders despite home advantage, with Southampton priced at 6/4 while the draw is a 23/10 chance. However, it is the hosts’ Callum Wilson who heads the first goalscorer betting at 9/2 while Charlie Austin is considered the visitors’ main threat at 11/2 net first.

...amateurishly dreamed-up by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Inside Staplewood: Saints build up to Cherries

Show/hide article…

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are consenting to their use. View cookie policy.

...collectedly devised by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Pep admits to Redmond regrets

Show/hide article…

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola admits he regrets the way he spoke to Southampton’s Nathan Redmond on Wednesday, but insists there was nothing disrespectful meant in the exchange.

...impurely generated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from The Independent article

Pep Guardiola regrets his post-match exchange with Nathan Redmond

Show/hide article…

Pep Guardiola has admitted he regrets his extraordinary post-match exchange with Southampton’s Nathan Redmond that has brought him the attention of the FA’s disciplinary department.

The FA have asked Guardiola for his observations after he was pictured in what looked like an angry exchange with the player following Manchester City’s dramatic late win against the Saints on Wednesday.

Redmond has insisted no offence was taken and confirmed the City manager’s claims that he was merely complimenting the Southampton winger.

But Guardiola still conceded that he regrets the way he went about talking to an opposition player so publicly.

“Yes,” said Guardiola when asked if he regretted his actions. “I did it in Munich, with my old player (Joshua) Kimmich, I did the same in Dortmund and had regret there after the game and the same now. I cannot control myself. Hopefully I will improve. What I said is what I said and what Nathan said in his statement.

“I admire him as a player and say thank you for his comments but if the FA want my statement again I am able to explain whatever they want. If they don’t believe me I don’t know what we’re doing here. When I give you an opinion, I give you an opinion. You can agree or not, but if I’m explaining what happened and the people don’t believe me then let’s cancel our press conferences and just play the games. If they want to listen to me then I will do it. It’s not a problem.”

Strangely, Guardiola cited an example that featured his own Bayern Munich player, Kimmich, with whom he had a similar altercation after a game in March 2015 although the City manager still insisted he meant no disrespect to Southampton or their manager Mauricio Pellegrino, his former Barcelona team mate.

“I played against millions in managers and the different ways they play,” he said. “I never judge and never will judge the way my opponents play against my team. Everyone wants to win the game, definitely. We didn’t win clearly because it’s so complicated when 10 players defend in the box. They believe that is the best way.

“I’ve faced this kind of team a lot in my career and I have to think how to beat them. I understand completely to attack with the set pieces. I said to Nathan you have to attack because you have the quality to do that. Never in my career, on or off the pitch, was I disrespectful about what they believe they have to do to beat me. It’s the same as I do to beat them.”

City’s victory over Southampton came courtesy of a 96th minute winning goal from Raheem Sterling, the third time in eight days the England striker had scored a last-minute decider.

That followed a similar, injury-time winner at Bournemouth and a point-saving late equaliser with Everton, the only team to have avoided defeat against rampant City this season.

Reports have suggested that City are trying to tie Sterling to a longer-term contract to add to his existing two-and-a-half year deal.

"It’s not my business,” said Guardiola. “But I think I was clear, we were clear, when Arsenal wanted him we said no, that’s not going to happen, he’s still young, we hope to make him happy and he can stay for longer. but it depends on the club and him. All the credit goes to him. All the managers want to help their players because if they play bad we’ll be sacked. But all the credit is Raheem’s.

“We tried to help him, the individual performances, it’s no secret.”

Guardiola faces a tough selection issue for Sunday’s visit of struggling with West Ham - with Vincent Kompany, Leroy Sane and Fernandinho all one booking away from a suspension that would rule them out of the Manchester derby a week later.

"I’m worried about the bookings but West Ham as well, we’ll see the team,” he said. “The last game we didn’t play David Silva from the beginning, I roatated and maybe i will again. Nine games in one month is a lot.

...stupendously hewn by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Mail article

Mauricio Pellegrino refuses to criticise Pep Guardiola

Show/hide article…

Mauricio Pellegrino has refused to criticise Pep Guardiola for confronting Nathan Redmond after Manchester City’s last-gasp 2-1 win over Southampton.

City boss Guardiola approached Redmond on the field and addressed the Saints forward animatedly, at full-time in Wednesday’s Premier League clash at the Etihad Stadium.

The Football Association has asked Guardiola to explain his actions, while Redmond insisted the City manager was ‘only very complimentary’ to him, in a statement.

Southampton manager Pellegrino has insisted he still has not seen the incident, nor discussed it with Redmond, and refused to be drawn on the issue.

‘I didn’t see anything, because after the finish I went to the dressing room as quickly as possible,’ said Pellegrino, of Guardiola’s full-time flashpoint with Redmond.

‘I don’t know what happened. I don’t have any comment. I can’t manage the reaction of others. I’ve got enough problems to solve with my team. I can’t say anything about that.’

Asked if he had spoken to Redmond about the incident or reviewed it on video, Pellegrino replied: 'No, no.

'Sometimes when you’re playing games you have to manage these emotional moments, even when you’ve got a good result or a bad result. I try to respect everybody, and I didn’t see anything else with a lack of respect.

‘I didn’t feel anything special, because I didn’t see anything. But right now I can’t comment on anything.’

Cedric Soares will miss Sunday’s south coast derby at Bournemouth, having suffered a hamstring strain in Wednesday’s tight loss at City, while Shane Long must shake off a calf problem to be in contention.

Pellegrino admitted Saints must control the derby day emotion, while also paying tribute to Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe’s consistent progress with the Cherries.

‘We’ll review Shane’s injury tomorrow and decide how he is, but he couldn’t train today,’ said Pellegrino.

'This is the fifth derby in the Premier League, and the emotion of the game will make it tough.

'Obviously I know that Bournemouth want to grow and want to get better year by year, little by little. They want to keep the base of the team they have grown together.

'I admire this kind of job done by Eddie Howe, moving up from the Championship, and looking for improvements little by little. Every single year they try to be stronger.

‘It’s good for the league to have English managers doing well.’

...nuttily cast by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

:two: days until #AFCB!

#SaintsFC prevailed 3-1 when the sides met in Bournemouth in 2011:

Retweets: 4

Favourites: 11

...proceedingly engineered by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from talkSPORT article

‘I cannot control myself’ – Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola admits he regrets Nathan Redmond incident

Show/hide article…

Pep Guardiola regrets speaking to Nathan Redmond in the manner he did after Manchester City’s victory over Southampton on Wednesday.

The Football Association has asked the City boss to explain his version of events following an aggressive-looking discussion with the Saints player after the final whistle at the Etihad Stadium.

It initially appeared Guardiola was confronting Redmond to complain about something, but he said afterwards he was complimenting the player.

Redmond later confirmed Guardiola’s claims and defended the City boss, insisting he was not offended by the coach’s manner.

‘If Mourinho did that, there would be uproar’ - Pep Guardiola over the top for row with Nathan Redmond, says Ray Parlour

But Guardiola has now conceded he should not have approached Redmond in such a way, explaining that he could not contain his emotions in the exhilarating aftermath of Raheem Sterling’s injury-time winner.

Asked if he regretted the incident, Guardiola said on Friday: "Yes. I did it in Munich, with my old player (Joshua) Kimmich, I did the same in Dortmund and had regret there after the game and the same now.

"I cannot control myself. Hopefully I will improve. What I said is what I said and what Nathan said in his statement.

"I admire him as a player and say thank you for his comments but if the FA want my statement again I am able to explain whatever they want. If they don’t believe me I don’t know what we’re doing here.

“When I give you an opinion, I give you an opinion. You can agree or not, but if I’m explaining what happened and the people don’t believe me then let’s cancel our press conferences and just play the games. If they want to listen to me then I will do it. It’s not a problem.”

Guardiola said after the game that he was telling Redmond “how good a player he is”.

Adding to that at a press conference on Friday, he said: “I said to Nathan, ‘You have to attack because you have the quality to do that’.”

Redmond released a statement saying Guardiola “was very passionate, intense and aggressive but he was only very complimentary and positive to me”.

He added: “I told him I was doing what my manager had asked me to do in the game.”

That led to suggestions that Guardiola might have been undermining Southampton boss Mauricio Pellegrino but the City boss has denied this.

Guardiola said: "I have played against millions of managers and the different ways they play. I never judge and never will judge the way my opponents play against my team.

"Never in my career, on or off the pitch, was I disrespectful about what they believe they have to do to beat me. It’s the same as I do to beat them.

“My emotion was there because of how I celebrated, scored the goal after 96 minutes.”

Guardiola has until December 4 to respond to the FA’s request.

...dim-wittedly modelled by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 01/12/2017 19:21:26

| | Bournemouth v Southampton Preview: Saints midfield could be the difference | The Football LabTHEFOOTBALLLAB |
| | Unreal, If I Was Southampton Boss I’d Do My Nut – Spurs Legend Savages Pep GuardiolaINSIDEFUTBOLCOM |
| | Guardiola: 'I cannot control myself’SPORTSMOLE |

...coyly built by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers’ RSS Feed rss feed

Read Southampton

New content from (- Read Southampton)

| Key Saints duo set to miss Bournemouth clash | Southampton are set to be without one of their most important players this weekend, after Portuguese defender Cedric … 01-12-2017 |

Older content…

| Southampton Predicted XI: Bournemouth (A)19 hours ago |
| FA ask Guardiola to explain Redmond incident19 hours ago |
| Pep Guardiola explains his furious outburst at Nathan Redmond2 days ago |
| Three Standout Saints: Manchester City (A)2 days ago |
| Manchester City 2-1 Southampton: Match Report2 days ago |
| Southampton player ratings: Manchester City (A)2 days ago |
| Our man of the match: Manchester City (A)2 days ago |
| Austin questioned whether his future was with Southampton2 days ago |
| Southampton, Arsenal, Brighton, Swansea target Alessio Da Cruz3 days ago |

...stiffly cobbled together by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Mirror.co.uk article

Guardiola admits he “can’t control himself” after verbal assault on Redmond

Show/hide article…

Pep Guardiola has confessed that he now regrets his verbal assault on Southampton’s stunned star Nathan Redmond admitting he was out of control.

A raging Guardiola confronted Redmond in the immediate aftermath of Manchester City’s last gasp 2-1 victory over the Saints on Wednesday night with TV cameras recording the Etihad manager’s ‘advice’ to the England winger.

Now the FA have ordered Guardiola to explain his furious confrontation with an opposition player.

Before facing West Ham there were regrets but no wholesome apology for his bizarre actions.

He explained: “Yes, I have done this before, with my old player (Joshua) Kimmich against Borussia Dortmund. I had regret there after the game and the same now.

“I can’t control myself. Hopefully I will improve. What I said is what I said and what Nathan said in his statement.

“I admire him as a player and say thank you for his comments but if the FA want my statement again I am able to explain whatever they want. If they don’t believe me I don’t know what we’re doing here.”

Guardiola delivered a veiled threat that if the FA charge him then he would reconsider his media duties.

The Spaniard added: “When I give you an opinion, I give you an opinion. You can agree or not but I’m explaining what happened and if the people don’t believe me then let’s cancel our press conferences and just play the game.

“If they want to listen to me then I will do it. It’s not a problem.”

...hauntingly costructed by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Southampton boss Mauricio Pellegrino says derby with Bournemouth will be ‘tough’ game

Show/hide article…

Southampton boss Mauricio Pellegrino says derby with Bournemouth will be ‘tough’ game

Southampton boss Mauricio Pellegrino says he is expects a “tough game” against Bournemouth on Sunday.

The Saints, who have won two of their last four Premier League derby games against Bournemouth, will hope to get back to winning ways following a three match losing run.

Pellegrino said: "I think this is the fifth one [derby game] in the Premier League.

"Obviously I know that Bournemouth is a side that wants to grow and wants to be little by little getting better every year.

"They try to keep the base of the team and most of the team grew together, and every year they try to be stronger even at home because in the last few games they have been picking up points.

“I think it will be really tough. It will have the emotions of the fans. I don’t know this pitch but I would like to be there to enjoy this game.”

Pellegrino also expressed some admiration for Eddie Howe’s accomplishments during his tenure at Bournemouth.

He said: "When you are a team that comes from the Championship, from relegation it is not easy to build a team that can compete like they did last season and as they are doing now.

“Obviously, I admire this type of job because you have to use your imagination to be creative and find different ways to compete and settle in the Premier League. For me they are getting better and it something that I admire.”

The Southampton boss has also insisted he has not seen Pep Guardiola’s confrontational post-match discussion with Saints forward Nathan Redmond.

When asked whether he found Guardiola’s behaviour disrespectful, he said: “I didn’t see anything, because after it finished I came to the dressing room, or know what happened. I don’t have any comment.”

...challengingly made by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Butterfield: Staying grounded

Show/hide article…

Saints’ teenagers were 1-0 victors over Brighton last time out, with Harlem Hale netting the decider, and Butterfield spoke of his delight that the Under-18s’ aptitude is being matched by their hard work and desire.

“We try and get the message across that winning games breeds confidence, but also that football has a habit of biting you if you happen to ease off,” he reiterated.

"If we don’t enter games with the same intensity as we have done previously we’ll get punished.

"We all agree that beautiful football, playing through the thirds, and being clinical in front of goal is pleasing on the eye, but sometimes you come up against opposition who don’t allow that to happen.

“We’ve shown we’re capable of playing a different style of game, that’s part of their development. They showed against Brighton that they can stay in a game when it’s tight, keep a clean sheet, and nick a 1-0. That is just reward for all the hard work.”

Saints’ young charges recorded a 3-0 victory over their Reading counterparts in a recent league clash, but have also drawn the Berkshire outfit in this season’s Under-18s Premier League Cup.

Whilst acknowledging that there may have been a psychological advantage gained, Butterfield asserted that his team must compete from the first whistle in order to extend their recent purple patch.

“We think Reading are a good side and they’ve got quality in that team,” Butterfield added.

"We’ll give them the utmost respect, but also know that we’ve had a good result against them a couple of weeks ago. It is a fresh game, which the boys have to win from minute one.

“We need to take care of our own business, and we’re aware that a positive result will take us in to the quarter-final stages. The cup competition adds a bit more excitement, but staying grounded and maintaining a good level of performance is also a key focus.”

...mysteriously given breath to by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

A busy month is set to begin…

Let’s do this! :facepunch: #saintsfc

Retweets: 7

Favourites: 26

...congruently instigated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 01/12/2017 20:21:33

| | Mauricio Pellegrino refuses to criticise Pep Guardiola after Etihad incidentBELFASTTELE |
| | Pep admits regret over Redmond incident: 'I can’t control myself’THE42 |
|

| Saints boss refuses to condemn Guardiola over RedmondFOOTBALL365 |

...disinterestedly spawned by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!