OptiNews - Friday 01 to Thursday 07 December 2017

Sourced from Sky Sports article

Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe says ‘derby’ with Southampton is a ‘huge’ game

Show/hide article…

Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe says Sunday’s south-coast clash with Southampton is a “huge” game for the Cherries.

Bournemouth have only won one game of their last nine league derby meetings with Southampton, but Howe is hoping a win over their south-coast rivals will lift the club following Wednesday’s 2-1 home defeat to Burnley.

Howe said: "It’s a huge game for the football club, and the supporters.

“I see it as a derby, it’s as close to a derby as we’re going to get. I think it’s becoming more of a derby as we play more games against them.”

"The rivalry is growing, it’s up to us to grow as a club, and to continue to challenge to become a serious rival for Southampton, I still feel we are still some way off that.

“Our games against them have been close, we probably should’ve beaten them at their place last season and they deservedly beat us here.”

"We’ll enjoy the atmosphere and the rivalry.

“I think Southampton have got very talented players. They played very well here, and we played very well there. Both were very tight games.”

"I think Southampton have a history of really standing by their managers and an excellent reputation for bringing young players through.

“They are a superbly run football club with a good philosophy of bringing young players through.”

Howe could be boosted by the return of striker Jermain Defoe who has not started a game since suffering a calf injury back in October.

He said: "He’s probably 50-50 to face Southampton but it’s my decision to make as to whether I involve him or not.

"He would probably say he is technically fit, but is he match fit? that’s the question.

“It would be a big lift if he is involved, he’s an outstanding player who did well for us last season.”

The Bournemouth boss is looking forward to a busy, and challenging Christmas period, where he expects to pick up more points than they have during November.

He added: “The fixtures in December are exciting and challenging. We have to try and get everything out of the games we have.”

“We got some good points in November, we ended it with a real disappointment but that’s the league for you.”

"We can’t afford to have a bad December and we need to start the month. if we can, in good fashion. That starts on Sunday.

Go to the original article…

...coldly caused to be by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Optimus trousers summary article summary

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 01/12/2017 15:00:52

| | A Rough Guide To Bournemouth - Southampton NewsTHEUGLYINSIDE |
| | Nathan Redmond clears up EXACTLY what Pep Guardiola said to himMANEVNEWS |
| | Rangers news: PL recruitment chief reveals why he rejected RangersFOOTBALLINSIDER |

...impressively put together by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from talkSPORT article

Revealed: Nathan Redmond explains heated exchange with Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola

Show/hide article…

Southampton star Nathan Redmond has revealed what was said in his heated exchange with Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola.

The City boss was criticised for being aggressive and over the top after a video of him scolding Redmond went viral on social media.

The clip showed Guardiola in an animated discussion with the Saints forward following City’s late 2-1 victory over Southampton on Wednesday.

Guardiola shook the player’s hand but then appeared to berate him about his actions on the pitch, repeatedly shoving him during their walk towards the tunnel while Redmond, who was calm throughout, covered his mouth with a hand as he replied.

The Spaniard said after the game that he was telling 23-year-old "how good a player he is” and how he was unhappy that he didn’t openly attack City and instead played for the draw.

READ MORE: ‘If Mourinho did that, there would be uproar’ - Pep Guardiola wrong for row with Nathan Redmond, says Ray Parlour

However, Redmond says he was not offended and has defended Guardiola, insisting the former Barcelona and Bayern Munich coach was ‘only very complimentary and positive’ towards him.

In a post on social media, the Southampton forward said: "When one of the world’s best managers compliments you or gives advice in any way, you listen.

"Yes, he was very passionate, intense and aggressive - but he was only very complimentary and positive to me.

"He commented on my qualities as a young English player and how he wanted me to attack his team more during the game in a similar way to last season.

"I told him I was doing what my manager had asked me to do in the game. That’s it.

“Nothing negative or offensive was said towards me from Pep and that’s what makes him one of the best managers in world football.”

Redmond scored the opener when Southampton held City to a 1-1 draw at Etihad Stadium last season, and Guardiola was peeved that the England Under-21s star did not bring the same performance this time around.

“Last season he destroyed us here,” said Guardiola following Thursday’s game.

“I didn’t know him last season and didn’t realise how good he is…but today he could not attack because he defends all the time.

“Southampton have some super-talented players, Redmond is so good one-against-one. But they didn’t want to play, they were time wasting from the ninth minute.

“I just wanted them to play.”

...profligately originated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 01/12/2017 15:20:54

|

| Mediawatch: ‘Exclusive’ and ‘revealed’ b****cks from The SunFOOTBALL365 |
| | Banning order for homophobeTHISISBRIGHTON |

...flushedly thought-up by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from talkSPORT article

Football Association to ‘seek observations’ from Man City boss Pep Guardiola over Nathan Redmond incident

Show/hide article…

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has been asked to explain his version of events following his animated post-match conversation with Southampton’s Nathan Redmond.

The Football Association on Friday said it had sought observations from Guardiola, who has until December 4 to respond.

Premier League leaders City won 2-1 through Raheem Sterling’s stoppage-time goal, but Guardiola’s celebrations took a strange turn when he appeared to berate Redmond for his and his team-mates’ time wasting in an on-pitch rant.

Speaking after the match, Guardiola claimed Southampton “didn’t want to play” and “were time-wasting from the ninth minute”.

Guardiola spoke heatedly to Redmond, and repeatedly pushed him on their walk towards the tunnel, but the player has since insisted he was not insulted of offended by the coaches’ actions.

READ MORE ON THE STORY BELOW:

‘If Mourinho did that, there would be uproar’ - Pep Guardiola over the top for row with Nathan Redmond, says Ray Parlour

...certainly sired by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Mirror.co.uk article

FA decide whether to probe Pep Guardiola outburst

Show/hide article…

The FA have written to Pep Guardiola to ask for his observations following his heated post-match exchange with Nathan Redmond.

Guardiola and Redmond were involved in an animated exchange as they left the pitch in the wake of Manchester City’s dramatic 2-1 win over Southampton on Wednesday.

Redmond has since played down the incident, stating there was nothing aggressive or offensive in what Guardiola said to him, while the City boss claimed he was merely complimenting the England midfielder on what a good player he was.

But having reviewed footage of the incident, the FA have sought Guardiola’s version of events, with the City boss having until 5pm on Monday to submit his written observations.

The FA will then decide whether Guardiola, who also encroaches onto the pitch to celebrate when Raheem Sterling scored City’s 95th-minute, should face a disrepute charge following his conduct.

Southampton had looked set to snatch a point at the Etihad, before Sterling curled home in sensational fashion.

That led to exuberant scenes around the ground, both after the goal and following the full-time whistle.

But after the latter, Guardiola sought out Redmond for what appeared to be an aggressive exchange.

The former Barcelona boss insisted post-game that while he had been upset with what he perceived as time-wasting by Mauricio Pellegrino’s side, he was in fact praising Redmond.

“[I told him] how good a player he is,” Guardiola said. "Last season he destroyed us here. I didn’t know him last season, I realised how good he is.

"Southampton have some super-talented players, Redmond is so good one against one. But they didn’t’ want to play, they were time wasting from the ninth minute. I just wanted them to play.

“Today he could not attack because they defend all the time, but that is what it is. I spoke with Oriol Romeu as well, with [Virgil] van Dijk and with my players as well.”

Former Birmingham and Norwich youngster Redmond, now 23, has subsequently confirmed Guardiola’s version of events, saying there was nothing offensive said during their exchange.

“Yes he was very passionate, intense and aggressive but he was only very complimentary and positive to me,” Redmond revealed on social media.

"He commented on my qualities as a young English player and how he wanted me to attack his team more during the game in a similar way to last season.

"I told him I was doing what my manager had asked me to do in the game. That’s it. Nothing more, nothing less.

“Nothing negative or offensive was said towards me from Pep and that’s what makes him one of the best manager’s in world football.”

Guardiola’s histrionics have been met with a mixed response however, following his wild gesticulations and particularly after Antonio Conte, the Chelsea manager, was sent to the stands on the same evening.

Conte has subsequently been hit with a misconduct charge.

Guardiola has form for such public showcases, having seen a video of himself and Germany defender Joshua Kimmich become a worldwide phenomenon following a 0-0 draw between Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund in March 2016.

However, that was an incident involving a player from his own side, rather than an opponent.

The Spaniard was also subject of an official protest from the German Referee’s Association during his time in the Bundesliga, having twice confronted Bastian Dankert during a February 2015 match against Schalke.

...brazenly brought to pass by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from A tweet by SouthamptonFC tweet

@SouthamptonFC - Southampton FC

Cold one at Staplewood today, Sofiane? :joy: #saintsfc

Retweets: 0

Favourites: 0

...decreasingly mustered by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from BBC article

Pep Guardiola: Man City manager regrets Nathan Redmond outburst

Show/hide article…

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola says he regrets his animated post-match discussion with Southampton’s Nathan Redmond after Wednesday’s 2-1 win.

Guardiola, who walked onto the pitch and remonstrated with the Saints winger, has been asked to explain his actions by the Football Association.

Redmond has since said the Spaniard was “only very complimentary and positive”.

On Friday, Guardiola said: “I cannot control myself. I have to do that, hopefully I can improve.”

The former Barcelona and Bayern Munich boss has been given until Monday to respond to the FA.

“What Redmond said in his statement, I admire him as a player and thank him for his comments,” he added.

“If the FA want my statement again, I am able to explain whatever they want. If they don’t believe me, I don’t know what I am doing here.”

Guardiola approached Redmond moments after Raheem Sterling had scored a 96th-minute winner for the league leaders at Etihad Stadium.

He began to shout and wave his arms, while Redmond covered his mouth and appeared to reply.

“He was very passionate, intense and aggressive - but he was only very complimentary and positive to me,” the 23-year-old later said on social media.

“I told him I was doing what my manager had asked me to do in the game. That’s it.”

Guardiola said he would “never judge the way opponents play against one of my teams”.

“It’s so complicated when teams defend with 10 players,” he added. “I said to Nathan: ‘You are a good player and you have to attack.’”

City host West Ham at 16:00 GMT on Sunday, while Southampton travel to south-coast rivals Bournemouth at 13:30 on the same day.

...stunnedly instantiated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

FA to ‘seek observations’ over Pep Guardiola and Nathan Redmond incident

Show/hide article…

FA to ‘seek observations’ over Pep Guardiola and Nathan Redmond incident

The FA will seek observations from Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola over the incident involving Nathan Redmond at the end of Wednesday’s Premier League match against Southampton.

City boss Guardiola has been asked to explain for his version of events following his animated post-match conversation with Southampton forward Redmond.

The FA on Friday said it had sought observations from Guardiola, who has until December 4 to respond.

Guardiola approached Redmond following City’s last-minute 2-1 victory over Southampton where he started to seemingly shout at the 23-year old.

However, Redmond took to social media on Thursday to explain how the City boss was “complimentary” to his qualities, insisting nothing “negative or offensive” was said.

“Yes he was very passionate, intense and aggressive but he was only very complimentary and positive to me,” Redmond said.

"I told him I was doing what my manager had asked me to do in the game.

"That’s it. Nothing more, nothing less.

“Nothing negative or offensive was said towards me from Pep and that’s what makes him one of the best managers in world football.”

Raheem Sterling’s 96th-minute goal gave City the win over Mauricio Pellegrino’s side, which maintained their eight-point gap at the top of the Premier League table.

City host West Ham at the Etihad on Sunday, live on Sky Sports Premier League.

...southwestwardly instigated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Reuters.co.uk article

Howe wants Bournemouth to build local rivalry with Southampton

Show/hide article…

(Reuters) - Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe said their rivalry with south coast rivals Southampton was growing but conceded they must first establish themselves in the Premier League to bridge the gap between the two sides.

Howe’s Bournemouth, who won promotion to the top flight in 2015, are currently 15th in the league table ahead of Sunday’s home match against 11th-placed Southampton.

The two teams are situated some 50 kilometres apart, but having faced each other six times in league action since 1961, the intense rivalry enjoyed by Southampton and Portsmouth has not developed.

”The rivalry is growing,“ Howe told a news conference on Friday. ”It’s up to us grow as a club and to continue to challenge to become a serious rival for Southampton, I still feel we are still some way off that.

“Our games against them have been close, we probably should’ve beaten them at their place last season and they deservedly beat us here.”

A brace from Jay Rodriguez earned Southampton a 3-1 victory on their last visit to the Vitality Stadium before the two teams played out a goalless draw at St Mary‘s.

Mauricio Pellegrino has since taken charge of Southampton at the start of this season as they target a top-half finish.

“They have a good, experienced manager so we know it will make for a tough test on Sunday,” Howe added.

“We know that if we play to our potential that we can be very competitive in the match.”

Bournemouth face a busy and potentially difficult run of fixtures in December with matches against Manchester United, Liverpool and Manchester City lined up before Christmas.

“It’s a challenge and exciting, it’s imperative that we get as many points as we can and do our best to get them,” Howe said.

“What’s important now is the month ahead, we can’t afford to have a poor month and need to start the month on Sunday in good fashion.”

Howe has given Junior Stanislas a “50-50” chance to feature this weekend as the winger hopes to return from a groin injury suffered against Chelsea in October.

...nebulously created by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Daily Mail article

Pep Guardiola asked to explain Nathan Redmond conversation by FA

Show/hide article…

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola has been asked to explain his version of events following his animated post-match conversation with Southampton winger Nathan Redmond on Wednesday night.

The Football Association said on Friday that it had sought observations from Guardiola, who has until December 4 to respond.

Speaking after the match, Guardiola claimed Southampton ‘didn’t want to play’ and ‘were time-wasting from the ninth minute’.

But he insisted he was praising Redmond despite his rather aggressive-looking manner.

‘(I told him) how good a player he is,’ Guardiola said.

'Last season he destroyed us here. I didn’t know him last season, I realised how good he is.

'Today he could not attack because they defend all the time, but that is what it is.

‘I spoke with Oriol Romeu as well, with (Virgil) van Dijk and with my players as well.’

The Saints forward on Thursday dismissed suggestions that Guardiola insulted him during the on-field rant that came in wild scenes following Sterling’s winner with virtually the last kick of the game.

Redmond backed up the Catalan’s account of events following reports which suggested Guardiola had been strongly criticising the once-capped England player.

In a statement posted on Twitter, Redmond wrote: 'Yes he was very passionate, intense and aggressive but he was only very complimentary and positive to me.

'He commented on my qualities as a young English player and how he wanted me to attack his team more during the game in a similar way to last season.

'I told him I was doing what my manager had asked me to do in the game. That’s it. Nothing negative or offensive was said towards me from Pep and that’s what makes him one of the best managers in world football.

‘Losing the game the way we did in the last kick of the game after working so hard for 90+ minutes I was very disappointment (sic) but when one of the world’s best managers compliments you or gives advice in any way, you listen.’

...forthcomingly contrived by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe wants local rivalry with Southampton

Show/hide article…

Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe said their rivalry with south coast rivals Southampton was growing.

However, he conceded they must first establish themselves in the Premier League to bridge the gap between the two sides.

Howe’s Bournemouth, who won promotion to the top flight in 2015, are currently 15th in the league table ahead of Sunday’s home match against 11th-placed Southampton.

The two teams are situated some 31 miles (50 km) apart, but having faced each other six times in league action since 1961, the intense rivalry enjoyed by Southampton and Portsmouth has not developed.

‘The rivalry is growing,’ Howe told a news conference on Friday.

'It’s up to us grow as a club and to continue to challenge to become a serious rival for Southampton, I still feel we are still some way off that.

‘Our games against them have been close, we probably should’ve beaten them at their place last season and they deservedly beat us here.’

A brace from Jay Rodriguez earned Southampton a 3-1 victory on their last visit to the Vitality Stadium before the two teams played out a goalless draw at St Mary’s.

Mauricio Pellegrino has since taken charge of Southampton at the start of this season as they target a top-half finish.

Howe added: 'They have a good, experienced manager so we know it will make for a tough test on Sunday.

‘We know that if we play to our potential that we can be very competitive in the match.’

Bournemouth face a busy and potentially difficult run of fixtures in December with matches against Manchester United, Liverpool and Manchester City lined up before Christmas.

He continued: 'It’s a challenge and exciting, it’s imperative that we get as many points as we can and do our best to get them.

‘What’s important now is the month ahead, we can’t afford to have a poor month and need to start the month on Sunday in good fashion.’

Howe has given Junior Stanislas a ‘50-50’ chance to feature this weekend as the winger hopes to return from a groin injury suffered against Chelsea in October.

...prolifically invented by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from A tweet by SouthamptonFC tweet

@SouthamptonFC - Southampton FC

Spirits high ahead of #AFCB! :grinning: #saintsfc

Retweets: 1

Favourites: 6

...parallel formulated by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Bournemouth vs Southampton: Team news, kick-off time, odds and stats

Show/hide article…

Ahead of the Premier League’s weekend action, Sportsmail will be providing you with team news, betting odds and Opta stats. Here is all you need to know as Bournemouth host Southampton.

Bournemouth will make a late decision on midfielder Junior Stanislas ahead of Sunday’s Premier League match against Southampton.

Stanislas has been out since the end of October with a groin problem, but has resumed some training.

Striker Shane Long will face a late fitness test ahead of Southampton’s Premier League trip to Bournemouth for Sunday’s south coast derby.

Long has picked up a calf problem and missed training on Friday, and is due to be assessed again on Saturday.

Cedric Soares will definitely miss out after suffering a hamstring problem in Saints’ 2-1 loss at Manchester City on Wednesday.

Bournemouth have recorded just one win in their last nine league meetings with Southampton (W1 D2 L6), winning 2-0 in this exact fixture in March 2016.

There hasn’t been a draw in the last eight league clashes between these two sides at the Vitality Stadium, with both sides sharing four wins apiece.

After losing their first eight Premier League games on a Sunday, scoring four goals and conceding 21, the Cherries have picked up four points from their last three (W1 D1 L1).

Southampton have won just one of their last seven away league games on a Sunday (D4 L2), though this did come at Bournemouth in December last season (3-1).

This is Southampton’s lowest points tally after 14 games of a Premier League season (16) since 2012-13 (12) – they finished that campaign in 14th place.

Southampton have scored just 14 goals in their 14 Premier League games so far – at this stage last season, they’d netted just 13 times.

Since the start of April, Southampton have scored only 22 goals in their 25 matches in the Premier League (0.88 per game).

The first of Jermain Defoe’s four Premier League hat-tricks came against Southampton, for Tottenham back in December 2004.

Joshua King scored only his second goal in 12 Premier League appearances this season in Bournemouth’s midweek defeat to Burnley. In his final 12 league games of 2016-17, he netted 10 goals.

...hubristically bred by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from Southampton FC - Official Site article

Pellegrino’s pre-Bournemouth press conference

Show/hide article…

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are consenting to their use. View cookie policy.

...well-meaningly created by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

HOT OR NOT: Nathan Redmond dealt with Pep Guardiola’s advice shrewdly

Show/hide article…

It’s Hot or Not time again as Sportsmail’s IAN LADYMAN reveals what’s been making him feel warm and what’s been leaving him cold this week…

Pep Guardiola’s decision to give career advice to the Southampton player on the field on Wednesday was followed by a statement from Redmond suggesting that, despite the Spaniard’s ‘intense and aggressive’ behaviour, he had been happy to listen.

Shrewd move, that. Never wise to upset a manager who one day may be in a position to make all your dreams come true.

He was always more driven than anyone else out there and it is desire alone that sees Woods back on the golf course in the Bahamas.

His first round of 69 was something to treasure and that is exactly how we should view it.

After the problems Woods has had with his body – and the procedures required just to get him back upright – this return to professional golf cannot last and surely will not last.

Fair play to whoever it was at the ECB who briefly managed to convince some people that Ben Stokes was on his way to New Zealand to ‘see family’.

Stokes, we should remember, was spotted at Heathrow without his new wife and with all his cricket equipment.

Nathan Lyon would have been proud of the unexpected trajectory placed on that particular item of news.

The QPR manager was brave enough to explain his comments criticising supporters for leaving before the end of their team’s 2-2 draw at home to Brentford on Monday.

Watching Holloway’s video message filmed in his office the next day, it is clear he feels the stresses of the game just as much as those that pay to watch.

Sadly for the 54–year-old, the real problems are on the pitch and not in the stands. QPR have won twice since September 9.

The constant chatter about Griezmann’s future has become so desperately boring that it’s a wonder anybody at all is still listening.

Recent comments from the French striker have managed to keep alive stories linking him to both Manchester United and PSG in France.

The only thing more tedious than any of this? His football. Griezmann has scored twice in La Liga all season.

At Goodison Park and two more penalty saves by goalkeepers – Joe Hart and Jordan Pickford – who had advanced illegally from their goal lines.

Maybe I really am the only person who cares about this.

...cajolingly fashioned by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Sourced from ITV article

Guardiola asked by FA to explain Redmond exchange

Show/hide article…

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has been asked to explain his version of events following his animated post-match conversation with Southampton’s Nathan Redmond.

The Football Association on Friday said it had sought observations from Guardiola, who has until December 4 to respond.

...queryingly fathered by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Man City: Pep Guardiola regrets Nathan Redmond incident

Show/hide article…

Pep Guardiola admitted he is uncontrollable on the touchline as the Football Association debate whether to charge the Manchester City manager after his bizarre incident with Nathan Redmond.

Guardiola has until Monday night to explain his actions and revealed regret for the way he enthusiastically confronted the Southampton winger after Wednesday’s last-gasp win.

Redmond wrote that the contents of the conversation were positive and the FA were alarmed at the Catalan’s aggressiveness.

‘I cannot control myself. Hopefully I will improve,’ he said. ‘I did it in Munich, with my old player (Joshua) Kimmich. I did the same in Dortmund and had regret there after the game and the same now.

‘I said what I said and what Nathan said in his statement. I admire Redmond as a player and say thank you for his comments but if the FA want my statement again I am able to explain whatever they want.

‘If they don’t believe me I don’t know what we’re doing here. When I give you an opinion and I give you an opinion.

‘I explain what happened. If people don’t believe me then let’s cancel our press conferences and just play the games.’

The FA could ban, fine or warn Guardiola should they see fit to charge the City boss ahead of next week’s derby with Manchester United at Old Trafford.

Guardiola also held similar discussions with Virgil van Dijk - who City were interested in signing last season - Oriel Romeu and Mario Lemina.

He was construed as being derogatory towards Southampton boss Mauricio Pellegrino after telling Redmond he should have attacked more, but Guardiola refuted those suggestions.

‘I never judge and never will judge the way my opponents play against my team,’ he added. ‘Never in my career, on or off the pitch, was I disrespectful about what they believe they have to do to beat me.

‘Everyone wants to win the game, definitely. We didn’t win clearly because it’s so complicated when 10 players defend in the box. They believe that is the best way.

‘I’ve faced this kind of team a lot in my career and I have to think how to beat them. I said to Nathan you have to attack because you have the quality to do that.

‘I saw many Southampton games: he can play the way he played but he can play completely different. They are the team who have created one of the most chances until now. His team can do both things and I expect that they attack.

‘Southampton have amazing players. I said to the players “be careful, they are really good”. Even now I think the same. They have one of the best teams in the Premier League.’

...apathetically brought into being by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Summary of non-mainstream articles: 01/12/2017 17:21:06

|

| Guardiola admits regret, says he ‘cannot control’ himselfFOOTBALL365 |
| | Pep Guardiola asked to explain Nathan Redmond incident by FA | Goal.comGOALDOTCOM |
| | Pep Guardiola asked to explain Nathan Redmond exchange by FAMANEVNEWS |
| | What the FA are planning to do regarding the Guardiola/Redmond situationGIVEMESPORT |

...eloquently made by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola regrets Nathan Redmond talk but says no disrespect intended

Show/hide article…

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola has admitted he had regrets over speaking to Southampton forward Nathan Redmond at the end of their 2-1 victory on Wednesday.

Guardiola appeared to speak to Redmond in an aggressive manner, although the player himself took to social media a day later to confirm the comments were “complimentary” to his qualities, insisting nothing “negative or offensive” was said.

The FA have since asked for observations from Guardiola over what happened and speaking at his media conference ahead of the Nissan Super Sunday clash with West Ham - live on Sky Sports - the City boss confirmed he had meant nothing untoward in the exchange.

When asked if he regretted what happened, Guardiola said: "Yes. I cannot control myself. I have to do that, hopefully I can improve.

"What Redmond said in his statement, I admire him as a player and thank him for his comments.

"If people don’t believe me, I don’t know what we are doing here. We should cancel our press conference.

“When I give an opinion, I give an opinion. We could cancel our press conference and just play games but if they want to listen to me, I will do it.”

Guardiola was also keen to stress his words to Redmond did not imply any criticism of Southampton boss Mauricio Pellegrino’s tactics.

“I’ve played in my career against millions of managers and I will never judge the way opponents play against one of my teams because I don’t like it when the other team’s manager judges what I do,” he added.

"I know that Pellegrino wants to win the game, definitely.

"It’s so complicated when teams defend with 10 players in the box. I have faced this kind of teams a lot of times in my career and I have to think about how to beat them [when they play] in that way.

"I said to Nathan ‘you have to attack because you have the quality to do that’.

“He [Pellegrino] was my teammate, I was at Barcelona with Mauricio, and in my career, in a press conference or on the pitch, I would never be disrespectful about what they believe they have to do to beat me.”

Guardiola also took the opportunity to comment on the possibility of Raheem Sterling staying at the club for an extended period.

The club are set to open talks with top scorer Sterling over a new contract, Sky Sports News understands, and Guardiola admits he would like to keep the England international - who has scored 13 goals in 19 appearances this season - at the Etihad.

“It’s not my business,” added Guardiola. "But I think I was clear, we were clear, when Arsenal wanted him we said no, that’s not going to happen, he’s still young, we hope to make him happy and he can stay for longer, but it depends on the club and him.

“All the managers want to help their players because if they play bad we’ll be sacked but all the credit is Raheem’s.”

Watch Manchester City v West Ham on Super Sunday. Coverage begins on Sky Sports Premier League and Sky Sports main Event at 3:30pm, after Bournemouth v Southampton.

...vapidly pieced together by Optimus trousers...beta v1.9 - now with EXTRA pictures!