šŸ—“ On this date in history

1/3/97

And Iā€™m in the away fans shot, after the goal.

1 Like

And 2003

2 Likes

2006 -

Saints were left mourning the death of Peter Osgood. He collapsed while attending a funeral and sadly died in hospital shortly afterwards. Osgood 59 was the clubs record signing at Ā£275k when he joined from Chelsea in March 1974.

He famously took the FA Cup trophy home and slept with it after the victory banquet.

30 years ago today.

Saturday April 3rd 1976 -

Saints beat Crystal Palace 2-0 at Stamford Bridge to reach the FA Cup Final - 40 years ago! 25,000 Southampton fans were made to wait 74 minutes for the first goal then 2 in 5 minutes meant Saints were going to Wembley for the first time since 1902.

I remember it wellā€¦I was at The Shed End having forged a voucher needed to get a ticket as I couldnā€™t get to the home game when they gave them out. Had to queue up outside The Dell for the final ticketsā€¦was in the last 100 to get a ticket for Wembley. :lou_lol:

Pedantā€™s note: Saintā€™s were going to Wembley for the first time everā€¦the 1902 Final was played at Crystal Palace.

May 20th -

1867 www.beautifulbritain.co.ukQueen Victoria laid the foundation stone for the Royal Albert Hall.

1993 www.beautifulbritain.co.ukBritain finally ratified the Maastricht Treaty which allowed greater co-operation between members of the European Union.

2004 Kenwyne Jones signed for Saints.

2012 www.beautifulbritain.co.ukBee Geesā€™ singer Robin Gibb died aged 62 after a lengthy battle with cancer. The group was among the biggest-selling of all time with hits spanning six decades. His twin brother and band partner Maurice died in 2003 aged 53 following complications from a twisted intestine.

1992 - a floppy haired Dutchman banged in a free kick to win the European Cup for Barcelona.

I wonder what became of him?

3 Likes

https://vine.co/v/eMDTJmhXDFr

23rd May.

1933 Joan Collins, English actress was born. (Not many know she is English even today)

1956 Calder Hall, Cumbria. It was decommissioned after producing electricity for almost 50 years.

2014 Judges ruled that the remains of Richard III should be given a dignified reburial in Leicester, as the Justice Secretary attacked his distant relatives for wasting public money by challenging to have him interred elsewhere. Richard IIIā€™s body was buried in the now demolished Franciscan Friary in Leicester and was discovered in September 2012 under what had become a car park.

May 26th 2001.

15 years ago today was the last ever game at The Dell.

What a great day it was!!! 15 years ago though!!!

2 Likes

Blimey - 1989

One of those events that you can remember where you were when you watched it - if youā€™re old enough

(Irish pub in Brixton for me - full of Gooners)

2 Likes

2 Likes

I was working behind the Chancellors bar at Surry Uni. Had to bring my own 14" TV into work and put it on the bar so we could watch whilst we served.

2 Likes

15 years? :astonished:

What a day.

1 Like

29th May -

1630 - Charles II, king of England, was born.

1871 - Whit Monday became the first official Bank Holiday in Britain.

1984 - Police used riot gear for the first time since the minersā€™ strike began , at a picket at Orgreave, near Sheffield.

1985 - 39 football fans were killed and at least another 400 injured when a wall collapsed during crowd violence at the Heysel Stadium in Brussels, only minutes before the start of the European Cup Final between Liverpool and Juventus.

Itā€™s hard for me to believe but today is the 50th anniversary of my first driving lesson. Whatā€™s even harder to believe is I remember the date, the teacher (Dennis Rix School of Motoring) the price of the lessons (8 guineas for 8 lessons) and the car used (a 1965 Vauxhall Viva). It was also a Saturdayā€¦ this isnā€™t the same car but it is the same colour and modelā€¦

1 Like

As another new chapter starts at SMS today 30th June 2016, we can look back 10 years to 2006, for the below.

Friday 30th June 2006

Rupert Lowe finally brought down the curtain on his troubled time at St Maryā€™s. After nine years at the helm, Lowe stood down as chairman ahead of the proposed EGM which was cancelled as a result. Fellow directors Andrew Cowen, Guy Askham, Mike Richards and David Windsor-Clive also resigned. Ken Dulieu took over as chairman with ammediate effect working with Jim Hone as chief executive and Lee Hoos as operations manager. Michael Wilde and Patrick Trant were appointed as directors to usher in what was supposed to be a bright new era for the clubā€¦

ā€¦ We have come a long long way, since those dark days!!

1 Like

ā€¦and today is the 50th anniversary of passing my driving test in Bournemouthā€¦Friday 30th September 1966ā€¦I was driving my '57 Austin A35ā€¦like this oneā€¦

For those who werenā€™t aware of the above factā€¦youā€™ll certainly remember thisā€¦on the same day The Republic of Botswana, formerly the Bechuanaland Protectorate, was granted independence from the United Kingdom. We had street parties such was the joy.