šŸ—“ On this date in history

I was at home when the stunning announcement was made - lets just say my mums recently purchased phone line had a much bigger than normal bill that month, as I phoned everybody I knew to pass on the news. Obviously most of them thought Iā€™d spent my lunchtime down the pub and was out of my tiny mind!! Probably a fair judgement, based on the way I was babbling away and barely able to string out a proper sentence in my enthusiasm to let them know!!

What an amazing scoop for little old Southampton. Crying shame he didnā€™t actually start playing for us until 6 months later. The initial impetous had simmered down a bit, and if I remember rightly we didnā€™t even sell out The Dell for his debut :frowning:

12th February

Charles Darwin was born on this day in 1809. Here are five interesting facts about him: http://interestingliterature.com/2015/02/12/five-fascinating-facts-about-charles-darwin/ ā€¦

2 Likes

12th February

Southampton FC ā€@ SouthamptonFC 36m36 minutes ago

# OnThisDay in 2011, Rickie Lambert scored his 50th # SaintsFC goal, in a 1-0 home win over # CUFC ā€“

Video Here

Rickie Lambert scores his 50th Saints goal

Rickie Lambert heads in his 50th goal for Southampton, giving the team a 1-0 victory at home to Carlisle United in February 2011 ā€“ one day after his son was born.4

I love Rickie.

1 Like

Originally posted by @BTripz

12th February

Southampton FC ā€@ SouthamptonFC 36m36 minutes ago

# OnThisDay in 2011, Rickie Lambert scored his 50th # SaintsFC goal, in a 1-0 home win over # CUFC ā€“

Video Here

Rickie Lambert scores his 50th Saints goal

Rickie Lambert heads in his 50th goal for Southampton, giving the team a 1-0 victory at home to Carlisle United in February 2011 ā€“ one day after his son was born.4

My matesā€™ dad died in the bogs in The Kingsland before the game.

Happy Birthday Rickie!

1 Like

Originally posted by @Rallyboy

Happy Birthday Rickie!

Indeed ā€¦ although he doesnā€™t have much to celebrate at the moment :frowning:

Originally posted by @Rallyboy

Happy Birthday Rickie!

In 2008 we were knocked out of the FA Cup by some bastard on his birthday.

Not that lardy-arsed pickle-jar-fiddling scouser?

Heā€™s probably still working in a factory.

The FA Cup Run of 76 saw us thrash WBA 4-0 in a 5th Round replay, after a 1-1 at The Hawthorns that saw over 10000 Saints Fans travel 3 days earlier. None of this poxy 10 days notice to the police and health and safety etc!!

The replay was one of the most packed in Iā€™ve ever felt at The Dell and many missed Channonā€™s opener in the first minute or so. I was transported down about 10 rows without my feet touching the ground in the mayhem!! Cup Fever was in the air!!

4 Likes

18/2/1967. FA Cup 4th Rd. Bristol City 1 Saints 0.

My first trip on a ā€œFootball Specialā€ train. Quite an eye-opener for an 8 year old. My Dad never did get me that leather jacket with ā€œRon is Kingā€ in metal studs, on the back.

He did however, manage to get us tickets in the home end. That was great as they didnā€™t like us as we had pipped them to promotion the previous season. It took them a furthur 10 years before they made it to the top flight.

The only goal was a Cliff Huxford own goal. He never played for us again.

3 Likes

IIRC, they then took just 4 years to plummet all the way down to Div 4, which was even more of a disaster than normal by dint of the fact that during their brief spell in Div 1 theyā€™d signed eight players - The Ashton Gate Eight as they became known - on ludicrously long and lucrative contacts. I recall it was only the fact that these players - or at least some of them - were persuaded to rip up their contracts at the eleventh hour that prevented Bristol City going bust.

Didnā€™t Lawrie arrange for Saints to play a friendly against them to raise money for these players, or something like that?

I can only remember the own goal and standing on an open terrace for that game. The pevious season we had gone there on Easter Saturday and got a vital 1-0 win in a very hostile atmosphere.

Originally posted by @lifeintheslowlane

Originally posted by @Lets-B-Drinking

18/2/1967. FA Cup 4th Rd. Bristol City 1 Saints 0.

My first trip on a ā€œFootball Specialā€ train. Quite an eye-opener for an 8 year old. My Dad never did get me that leather jacket with ā€œRon is Kingā€ in metal studs, on the back.

He did however, manage to get us tickets in the home end. That was great as they didnā€™t like us as we had pipped them to promotion the previous season. It took them a furthur 10 years before they made it to the top flight.

The only goal was a Cliff Huxford own goal. He never played for us again.

I can only remember the own goal and standing on an open terrace for that game. The pevious season we had gone there on Easter Saturday and got a vital 1-0 win in a very hostile atmosphere.

PEDANT ALERT!

Good Friday. Leyton Orient was due to be played on the Saturday, but got rained off.

Originally posted by @Halo-Stickman

IIRC, they then took just 4 years to plummet all the way down to Div 4, which was even more of a disaster than normal by dint of the fact that during their brief spell in Div 1 theyā€™d signed eight players - The Ashton Gate Eight as they became known - on ludicrously long and lucrative contacts. I recall it was only the fact that these players - or at least some of them - were persuaded to rip up their contracts at the eleventh hour that prevented Bristol City going bust.

Didnā€™t Lawrie arrange for Saints to play a friendly against them to raise money for these players, or something like that?

Yes ā€¦ we played Ipswich who were Runners up the season before. Canā€™t remember the score but have a feeling we won? It would have been Feb or Mar 82, as I was on a course in Bath an was able to go to the match.

2 Likes

England Cricket ā€@ englandcricket 27m27 minutes ago

# ThrowbackThursday: # OnThisDay in 1978 @ BeefyBotham scored his first Test century for England! 103 vs NZ

2 Likes

26th February

Southampton FC ā€@ SouthamptonFC 9m9 minutes ago

# OnThisDay in 1994, @ mattletiss7 netted this audacious volley in # SaintsFCā€™s 1-0 home win over WImbledon ā€“

https://vine.co/v/i6gtpp0OrjA

3 Likes

26th February

And rather sadly :-

Five years ago today, we lost one of the greatest defenders to represent # SaintsFC. # RIPDeano

2 Likes

Well as its ACTUALLY the 26th!

In 2005

Say no more.

Originally posted by @BTripz

25th February

And rather sadly :-

Five years ago today, we lost one of the greatest defenders to represent # SaintsFC. # RIPDeano

Very sad this. He was a terrific player and died way too young.

1 Like