🗓 On this date in history

Saturday 5th Feb 1966

Saints took a massive step towards winning promotion to the top flight by THUMPING local rivals Portsm*uth 2-5 at Fratton Park. A Norman Dean hat-trick and a Martin Chivers brace, as Southampton humiliated their Hampshire neighbours.

1 Like

That sounded nice, I think I’ll read it again.

2 Likes

Don’t want to be a points-scoring bore…but I was at that one too.

BTW The experiences from the away win against Plymouth formed the subject matter of the essay for my “O level” English Language exam a month later. :lou_lol:

1 Like

This is fine, I will point score now… I was born 8 years, 10 months and 6 days after this event! I am sure that there are plenty on here who can make me feel old though!

It was snowing in Eastleigh the next day when I was born at Rookwood Maternity Hospital.

2 Likes

That was the first news story I was ever aware of.

When you can remember events from 58 years ago you kind of realise you might be getting on a bit. :frowning:

2 Likes

Originally posted by @Halo-Stickman

Originally posted by @Lets-B-Drinking

Originally posted by @lifeintheslowlane

4th Feb 1967. Saints 6 West Ham 2. Gates locked at The Dell before kick off as over 30,000 crammed in to see the World Cup winners get spanked by Saints.

Can’t give you any match details, as me and my Dad didn’t get there in time to get in. The perils of his shift work.

:lou_lol: I was there…2 from Paine, 2 from Chivs 1 from Big Ron and a rare one from Denis Hollywood.

Strangely enough, John, Denis Hollywood also scored (a penalty) a few months later on April 8 1967 when we beat Burnley 4-0. Ron Davies got the other three.

I know all this because it was the first match my dad ever took me to and he wrote the team changes and the goal-scorers on the programme, which I still have. Dear old Dave Merrington was playing for Burnley that day.

PEDANT ALERT

Denis’ goal against Burnley wasn’t a penalty. It was a shot from outside the area, at The Archers End.

I was in the front, right behind the goal and as the game was on Southern Soccer the next day, I saw myself on TV for the first time.

Bloody hell, Lets B, my old chap marked Hollywood’s goal down as a penalty - you’re surely not telling me that the man who inspired my love for the Saints and taught me everything I know about the Beautiful Game was in reality just a silly old fool who couldn’t tell the difference between a penalty and a long range shot from outside the box? :lou_sad:

Seriously though, this isn’t the first time I’ve been impressed by your powers of recall when it comes to Saints related stuff. Conversely, I struggle to differentiate one match from days of yore from another - apart from the really big games, of course. For instance, I can’t remember a single goal from that Burnley match, which has always struck me as strange and sad seeing as it was my first ever game. I don’t suppose you can remember if anyone actually did score a bloody penalty that day, can you?

Ron Davies hat-trick. No pens IIRC.

1 Like

4th Feb 1967. Saints 6 West Ham 2. Gates locked at The Dell before kick off as over 30,000 crammed in to see the World Cup winners get spanked by Saints.

Can’t give you any match details, as me and my Dad didn’t get there in time to get in. The perils of his shift work.

:lou_lol: I was there…2 from Paine, 2 from Chivs 1 from Big Ron and a rare one from Denis Hollywood.

Strangely enough, John, Denis Hollywood also scored (a penalty) a few months later on April 8 1967 when we beat Burnley 4-0. Ron Davies got the other three.

I know all this because it was the first match my dad ever took me to and he wrote the team changes and the goal-scorers on the programme, which I still have. Dear old Dave Merrington was playing for Burnley that day.

PEDANT ALERT

Denis’ goal against Burnley wasn’t a penalty. It was a shot from outside the area, at The Archers End.

I was in the front, right behind the goal and as the game was on Southern Soccer the next day, I saw myself on TV for the first time.

The vital goal that Denis scored at Home Park in May 1966 in a nerve-wracking 3-2 win was his most memorable I can remember. It set us up for the 1-0 win at Leyton Orient 2 days later to virtually clinch promotion to the First Division for the first time in our history. </pedantry>

Ahem!! 1-1 draw. Same as in 1978.

PEDANT ALERT

The vital goal that Denis scored at Home Park in May 1966 in a nerve-wracking 3-2 win was his most memorable I can remember. It set us up for the 1-0 win at Leyton Orient 2 days later to virtually clinch promotion to the First Division for the first time in our history. </pedantry>

Is Lets B masquerading as MLG from you know where :lou_eyes_to_sky:

2 Likes

PEDANT ALERT

Bloody hell, Lets B, my old chap marked Hollywood’s goal down as a penalty - you’re surely not telling me that the man who inspired my love for the Saints and taught me everything I know about the Beautiful Game was in reality just a silly old fool who couldn’t tell the difference between a penalty and a long range shot from outside the box? :lou_sad:

Seriously though, this isn’t the first time I’ve been impressed by your powers of recall when it comes to Saints related stuff. Conversely, I struggle to differentiate one match from days of yore from another - apart from the really big games, of course. For instance, I can’t remember a single goal from that Burnley match, which has always struck me as strange and sad seeing as it was my first ever game. I don’t suppose you can remember if anyone actually did score a bloody penalty that day, can you?

Ron Davies hat-trick. No pens IIRC.

I’m pretty sure I was at the game as well, seeing as I was taken to every home game back then, but can’t specifically remember anything about the game. However a quick look in the most excellent In That Number History of all things SFC, reveals that in the 86th min Terry Paine missed a penalty. Doesn’t explain the Programme marking error? A few pre match bevies maybe? :wink:

1 Like

The vital goal that Denis scored at Home Park in May 1966 in a nerve-wracking 3-2 win was his most memorable I can remember. It set us up for the 1-0 win at Leyton Orient 2 days later to virtually clinch promotion to the First Division for the first time in our history.

Yep…sorry about that…did I tell you I was there in '78 too. :lou_wink_2:

1 Like

Originally posted by @PhilippineSaint

PEDANT ALERT

Is Lets B masquerading as MLG from you know where :lou_eyes_to_sky:

Lets B has the real knowledge. MLG is for x-box.

3 Likes

The mystery of Hollywood’s non penalty has been solved!

It turns out that I’ve gone bonkers, because my dad never marked it as a penalty first nor last.

Sorry, Dad :blush:

Thanks for your help in solving this mystery / non mystery fellas.

Funnily enough Eric I had discovered this link to the match (below) on the official site just before you posted. It, too, mentions Terry Paine’s missed penalty. Btw, I notice that I was born about a week before you - hopefully you’re hanging on to your marbles better than I appear to be atm!

It turns out that I’ve gone bonkers, because my dad never marked it as a penalty first nor last.

Funnily enough Eric I had discovered this link to the match (below) on the official site just before you posted. It, too, mentions Terry Paine’s missed penalty. Btw, I notice that I was born about a week before you - hopefully you’re hanging on to your marbles better than I appear to be atm!

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/20150319-five-of-the-best-memorable-home-games-against-burnley-2344750.aspx

Apart from Uncle Dave, check out the Burnley team.

Brian O’Neil missed out, but there was Willie Morgan and Ralph Coates who we played against for several more seasons.

And wasn’t Arthur Bellamy a character in “The Archers”? (and I DON’T mean the terrace.)

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/20150319-five-of-the-best-memorable-home-games-against-burnley-2344750.aspx

Apart from Uncle Dave, check out the Burnley team.

Brian O’Neil missed out, but there was Willie Morgan and Ralph Coates who we played against for several more seasons.

And wasn’t Arthur Bellamy a character in “The Archers”? (and I DON’T mean the terrace.)

Must have been something in the water up there … Ralph Coates was famous for his Bobby Charlton Comb Over and Andy Lochheadwas a slaphead. Luckily Willie Morgans flowing locks made up for them :slight_smile:

Southampton FC ‏@ SouthamptonFC 7m7 minutes ago

# OnThisDay in 1980, # SaintsFC announced they were signing reigning European Footballer of the Year Kevin Keegan –

–

I would post a link to the video that they have on Twitter but can’t seem to grab it for some reason

–

Here’s Lawrie talking about the signing instead :-

–

And here’s a link to the original tweet with the video

4 Likes

I remember this because we were stationed in Blandford at the time and I won the shool’s Chancellors award for Best Achievement in Science and Maths.

Now good old KK was supposed to come along and present my prize, fucker didn’t turn up though did he and some big wig from the town presented the awards instead.

Saints and I have crossed paths many times before I became inextricably wedded to them.

1 Like

Originally posted by @BTripz

# OnThisDay in 1980, # SaintsFC announced they were signing reigning European Footballer of the Year Kevin Keegan –

–

I would post a link to the video that they have on Twitter but can’t seem to grab it for some reason

–

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EkUixwEADI

–

Chief Pedant here.

It was on the 11th, so not on this day in history.

2 Likes

Originally posted by @BTripz

–

–

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EkUixwEADI

–

Chief Pedant here.

It was on the 11th, so not on this day in history.

It was a Monday I believe, a couple of days after my wife was admitted to The Wessex Neurological Unit at The General with a suspected brain tumor. Thankfully it wasn’t…we were at home watching it on the lunchtime news…fuckin’ sensational.

I was in my office when my Mum rang. It was live on Solent and she put the radio next to the phone. I gave a commentary to the rest of my colleagues, whether they wanted it or not.

1 Like