šŸ—“ On this date in history

ā€¦and yet again I was there too, behind the goal to witness Moranā€™s tap-in. :lou_lol:

Actually I left early to avoid the rush. :lou_wink_2:

Chris Hadfield ā€@ Cmdr_Hadfield 3m3 minutes ago

30 yrs ago today these 7 died in the Challenger accident. Spaceflight is forever safer, more capable. I honour them.

1 Like

Cue 30 year old joke.

Nah! Better not.

go for it

Fizzy drink related yes?!

Great front man! A legend that does not get mentioned enough!

1 Like

3rd Feb, 1959 - The Day The Music Died

1 Like

Originally posted by @Sfcsim

Originally posted by @Lets-B-Drinking

Cue 30 year old joke.

Nah! Better not.

Fizzy drink related yes?!

Strangely what I was thinking when I posted but then I am more mature now than I was 30 years ago, justā€¦

1 Like

4th Feb 1967. Saints 6 West Ham 2. Gates locked at The Dell before kick off as over 30,000 crammed in to see the World Cup winners get spanked by Saints.

Canā€™t give you any match details, as me and my Dad didnā€™t get there in time to get in. The perils of his shift work.

4 Likes

:lou_lol: I was thereā€¦2 from Paine, 2 from Chivs 1 from Big Ron and a rare one from Denis Hollywood.

4 Likes

Strangely enough, John, Denis Hollywood also scored (a penalty) a few months later on April 8 1967 when we beat Burnley 4-0. Ron Davies got the other three.

I know all this because it was the first match my dad ever took me to and he wrote the team changes and the goal-scorers on the programme, which I still have. Dear old Dave Merrington was playing for Burnley that day.

2 Likes

Denis Hollywood fouled me straight from the kick-off in a Sunday League gameā€¦straight through meā€¦I naively thought I could shield the ball from him. He picked me upā€¦ā€œsorry about that nipperā€ he saidā€¦I was laughing. I was a fanā€¦it was a privelege to be fouled by him. :lou_lol:

5 Likes

Thatā€™s a great memory to share, John!

Unfortunately, I never reached a high enough standard to play against ex-professionals, even in the twilight of their careers, but I watched a few turn out for my local town team, Cowes, at the end of their playing days

One that sticks in my memory was Micky Judd. Even though he was really little more than a squad player at Saints he was head and shoulders above the rest in the Hampshire League. Another chap who was an excellent footballer at that level was Bob Stephenson, the old Hampshire CCC wicket-keeper.

1 Like

Just a side-noteā€¦Micky Judd wasnā€™t just a squad playerā€¦he was being groomed as Terry Paineā€™s successor and was only kept out of the side by Mick Channon and Paineā€™s good form. I saw him score at Highbury in '68 in that famous 3-0 win. Sadly his career was ended by a Cruciate injury at 21, before he was able to confirm everyoneā€™s expectations.

He and my brother were fast bowlers for Harefield junior school and used to terrorise the other kids in Southampton Schools cricket. :lou_wink_2:

3 Likes

I was at that simply stunning 3-0 win.

Shame his career ended at such a yoing age.

2 Likes

Thanks for reminding me about that, John, Iā€™d completely forgotten that his career was ended by injury at that young age, which makes his performances for Cowes even more impressive.

ā€¦ unless, of course, Iā€™m having a senior moment and getting him mixed up with someone else :lou_sad:

On this day in 1954 a sadyounggit spalshed down for its first day on this planet. Sobering to think that there was still sugar rationing following WW2 at the time! Blimey. Where does the time go? :lou_surprised:

3 Likes

Originally posted by @Halo-Stickman

Originally posted by @lifeintheslowlane

4th Feb 1967. Saints 6 West Ham 2. Gates locked at The Dell before kick off as over 30,000 crammed in to see the World Cup winners get spanked by Saints.

Canā€™t give you any match details, as me and my Dad didnā€™t get there in time to get in. The perils of his shift work.

:lou_lol: I was thereā€¦2 from Paine, 2 from Chivs 1 from Big Ron and a rare one from Denis Hollywood.

Strangely enough, John, Denis Hollywood also scored (a penalty) a few months later on April 8 1967 when we beat Burnley 4-0. Ron Davies got the other three.

I know all this because it was the first match my dad ever took me to and he wrote the team changes and the goal-scorers on the programme, which I still have. Dear old Dave Merrington was playing for Burnley that day.

PEDANT ALERT

Denisā€™ goal against Burnley wasnā€™t a penalty. It was a shot from outside the area, at The Archers End.

I was in the front, right behind the goal and as the game was on Southern Soccer the next day, I saw myself on TV for the first time.

1 Like

PEDANT ALERT

Denisā€™ goal against Burnley wasnā€™t a penalty. It was a shot from outside the area, at The Archers End.

I was in the front, right behind the goal and as the game was on Southern Soccer the next day, I saw myself on TV for the first time.

The vital goal that Denis scored at Home Park in May 1966 in a nerve-wracking 3-2 win was his most memorable I can remember. It set us up for the 1-0 win at Leyton Orient 2 days later to virtually clinch promotion to the First Division for the first time in our history. </pedantry>

1 Like

PEDANT ALERT

Bloody hell, Lets B, my old chap marked Hollywoodā€™s goal down as a penalty - youā€™re surely not telling me that the man who inspired my love for the Saints and taught me everything I know about the Beautiful Game was in reality just a silly old fool who couldnā€™t tell the difference between a penalty and a long range shot from outside the box? :lou_sad:

Seriously though, this isnā€™t the first time Iā€™ve been impressed by your powers of recall when it comes to Saints related stuff. Conversely, I struggle to differentiate one match from days of yore from another - apart from the really big games, of course. For instance, I canā€™t remember a single goal from that Burnley match, which has always struck me as strange and sad seeing as it was my first ever game. I donā€™t suppose you can remember if anyone actually did score a bloody penalty that day, can you?