🗓 On this date in history

And today (7th) we won the replay 2-1 aet. Jim McCalliog got both goals.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m a twat, I posted the wrong part of the tweet…

Southampton FC@ SouthamptonFC 17m17 minutes ago

# OnThisDay 40 years ago, # SaintsFC headed to # AVFC to replay the FA Cup third-round tie they’d drawn at The Dell.

Osgood played. Gilchrist was sub.

Originally posted by @Lets-B-Drinking

Osgood played. Gilchrist was sub.

Hey, don’t shoot the messenger!!

1 Like

Well, I am trying to look for all positives for Saints for today!

Saturday 13th January - 1906.

For the first time in their history Saints were drawn against neighbours Portsm*uth in the FA Cup - and came out with a thumping 5-1 win on their unnamed home ground, soon of course to become The Dell.

Saturday 13th January 1986.

Danny Wallace scored the first hat-trick by a Saints player in an away FA Cup tie since Derek Reeves in 1960 as Chris Nicholl’s side won 3-1 at 2nd division Middlesbrough en-route to the semi finals.

All sounds positive!

Do you think in the year 2158 someone will be posting on some weird intergalactic communication network that way back in 2016 Saints beat Watford 3-1 to kickstart their season?

1 Like

14/1/06. Lost 1-0 at QPR.

Sadly its 10 years to the day since Theo last played for Saints.

However, on a brighter note, its 10 years to the day since Nigel Quashie last played for Saints.

The cunt also missed a penalty!

1 Like

Gerry Gurr made his debut in goal having signed 3 years earlier from Guildford City. He had a lively afternoon in a 4-4 draw at Filbert Street. He even saved a penalty.

We did lead 2-4 on the hour, following a hat trick from Ron Davies and one from Martin Chivers, but Leicester thought back to 4-4.

On this day in 1960, my mother went into labour. At around 11pm she gave birth to a daughter - my twin sister. That left the second twin to appear. It wouldn’t be a short wait…

1 Like

So, is it happy birthday today or tomorrow?

Our twins were born 2 minutes apart, handy thing the sunroof!!

1 Like

20th Jan 2016

Southampton FC@ SouthamptonFC 4m4 minutes ago

“OH, I SAY! MATTHEW LE TISSIER!” # OnThisDay in 1994, @ mattletiss7 scored as # SaintsFC won 2-1 at # NUFC

https://vine.co/v/ietpI9Kn9Ud

1 Like

26/1/85

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_fjKBoEqwuw

1 Like

I was there.

Originally posted by @Rallyboy

I was there.

Me too.

So were a few West Ham, as I recall.

36 years ago, Bon Scott, my all time rocking hero, played his final gig for AC/DC.

In the Gaumont, Southampton. Here’s him getting on the bus afterward.

2 Likes

I think you might be right about West Ham at Orient - my only recollection of the game is some fans being moved before kick off from one section to another, they didn’t look that friendly!

32 years ago. “Scummmers, here we …”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=wsnctWcOuhA

1 Like

I was there.

Again.

Collected a lot of loose change in the North Stand seating area.

I still worry that perhaps the ref added on too much injury time.

Never mind.

1 Like