🗓 On this date in history

Originally posted by @Rallyboy

some good memories there.

Aye, Just Wide Prowse should take some lessons from Gareth

1. Beat Coventry 4-0 after announcing the wonderful signing of Charlie George before the game. Exciting times!

Trouble was, we didn’t see him play for over 3 months.

I did - in the reserves!

Ah man. I loved Papa.

1 Like

England Cricket@ englandcricket 9m9 minutes ago

# OnThisDay in the 1979 Perth Test - “Lillee, c Willey, b Dilley”

1 Like

21st December (4 more sleeps to go, 4 more sleeps 'til Santa…)

Southampton FC@ SouthamptonFC 4m4 minutes ago

# OnThisDay in 2003, # SaintsFC recorded a 3-0 win over rivals # Pompey at St Mary’s.

Video Here

I sitll can’t believe that Dodd’s scoring from a corner was given as an own goal FFS (it was Dodd wasn’t it??)

1 Like

22nd December

Southampton FC@ SouthamptonFC 6h6 hours ago

Happy 32nd birthday to our skipper, José Fonte! # saintsfc

December 25th.

Our Lord Jesus Christ, our saviour was born on day! Which now means, we get to spend far more than we can possibly afford, eat more calories than we normally eat in one week, crammed into one day, drink as much as we can and still try and cook to the roast and stock up on socks and other underwear for the rest of the year!

I wondered how this, was how it was suppose to be celebrated!

On a serious note, for me it is all about being together with the family!

The first few hours of 1970. A heavy goat looked nonchantly up from the sparse greenery and hacked up a cud before squeezing the mucous wrapped rubber limbed burden from her aching snatch.

That’s not going to end well she thought.

3 Likes

Condolences to the Nanny and congratulations to the Kid. :lou_wink_2:

1 January1956 Elvis Presley records Heartbreak Hotel for RCA in Nashville. :lou_sunglasses:

2 Likes

Way back at the tail end of the 1970s, a good friend of mine (who wore a black tie for a full year following the King’s demise) bought himself an original 78 of Hearbreak Hotel. As I recall, he reckoned it sounded amazing but he didn’t dare play it more than a couple of times for fear of damaging it.

1 Like

When I was a kid of about 12 my best mate was given two 78s…one was “Hound Dog” by Elvis, the other “Rip It Up” by Little Richard. I stacked the records on my “Auto-change” record player. “Hound Dog” played OK but “Rip It Up” dropped down on Elvis and smashed him in half. :lou_sad:

Born on the first of january 1970. My life has been blessed.

Happy new year everyone x

3 Likes

The first game I ever went to was 40 years ago today, the 3rd cup tie against Villa.

I only went as someone we knew was a Villa fan and they were all going, so I was dragged off with the dullard family and we sat in the back row of the East Stand.

I remember looking down on the amazing green and muddy pitch that was glowing under the lights.

That outing paved the way for more games later that year with my Dad and brother, watching from the front of the East terrace and stuffing our empty crisp packets and pie wrappers down the back of the advertising hoarding.

Occasionally I got to chuck the ball back fro throw-ins.

My Dad’s long gone, after having a front row season ticket in the West Stand, my brother is a season ticket holder at Old Trafford, and I’ve dipped in and out between work over the years but stepped up again in 2008/9 when we were all needed and have been there since.

Four decades - that went quick!

3 Likes

On this day 49 years ago I started my career in map making. I drove my Austin A35 in through the main gates in London Road and parked in the Director General’s designated spot…an inauspicious start for a young lad with obvious aspirations. A man in a peaked cap came out and told me to park off-site, threatening to blight my career before it had officially started.

I wound the drivers window down and said, “Remember my face…I might be shit on your shoe now but give it five years and I’ll be the one directing on-site parking” The threat seemed not to trouble him.

…Odd that. :lou_angry:

3rd Jan 1977

Apple

1977 – Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak officially incorporate the Apple Computer Corporation. Mike Makkula jr. invests $250,000 in venture capital and becomes the first chairman of Apple.

They also decided to move operations of the company outside of Steve Jobs parent’s garage and rent a building in Coupertino. This was so they could improve production of the Apple II, which debuted on April 16,1977.

Of course, the third founder – Ronald Wayne – was not present as he sold his stake in the company earlier in 1976.

Oh and on this day 2012 my son was born Fraser the Saint Sim. Today ‘he’ got a scalextrics and I have been playing it all afternoon :heart_eyes:

3rd January

Literary Interest@ InterestingLit 2h2 hours ago

T. S. Eliot died on this day in 1965. Here are some quick facts about his life: http://wp.me/p2WHCx-k4

Embedded image permalink

And some wise words from the man himself :-

“Only those who are willing to risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go”

2 Likes

Southampton FC@ SouthamptonFC Jan 3

# OnThisDay 40 years ago, # SaintsFC kicked off their FA Cup campaign by drawing 1-1 with # AVFC at The Dell.

1 Like