šŸ» Old pubs of Hythe and Waterside

Forgot the Waterside used to be full of tarts and fights and shit beer.

1 Like

Ebenezers is an ok sort of place. Usually busy when Iā€™ve been there. Food is pub average. Staff friendly. Didnā€™t even know the building existed when I was a nipper. It was hidden behind some big old gates

Afternoon @Barry-Sanchez, You little ray of sunshine. Iā€™ve missed you :kiss:

1 Like

Used to be the last stop on a night out. They nailed all the pictures to the wall after some people nicked the originals. :roll_eyes:

Ah, Murrayā€™s, forgot that one. Also there was the bar at the US Army base open to the public , on a Thursday as I recall.

Ah, the Malt - the place where you could get served under age if you didnā€™t get pissed and sat quietly in the lounge bar with your mates.

Ron the landlord would let my folks know if Iā€™d been in and who with, which I only found out when they told me when I reached 18 :joy:

1 Like

Only went in The Holbury twice. First time people were throwing darts around everywhere. Second time, immediately after being served I noticed there was shit on my glass. We left sharpish both times.

3 Likes

I grew up in Blackfield. Think I only went in The Holbury once.

What was that tiny pub right next to the footpath coming out of the Jones Lane car park onto the bottom of the High Street called? Little place with wooden everything. :thinking:

Thatā€™d be Ebenezers?

Or if youā€™re thinking at the end of the high street near the Pier then there used to be The Anchor and Hope but thatā€™s closed years ago.

Hope and Anchor sounds possible, how long ago did it go?

1 Like

Just in front of the ferry terminal. Closed ages back

1 Like

Oh. The place Iā€™m thinking of was on the bend by the exit path from the car park, there was a little jewellers and a luggage store right opposite.

Yeah, thatā€™ll be Ebenezers - converted old chapel.

1 Like

One weā€™ve forgotten is the Ivy Green at the top of South Street opposite Beyond The Fringe, but it closed so long ago that only @lifeintheslowlane would remember itā€¦itā€™s a private house now.

Thats the one. Just looked on streetview, on Pylewell Road.

1 Like

Look on the lost pubs of Hythe it says the Anchor and Hope is now being used as a solicitors office.

Was it not being used for the same thing when it was a pub ? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Funnily enough Iā€™m using those exact solicitors to sell/purchase for Mumā€™s move to ā€œOldsā€œ housing in tā€™village centreā€¦

No, donā€™t remember all of these pubs aforementioned. I was never allowed over Watersideā€¦never had my booster jabs.

2 Likes

I feel excluded.

Who wants to do ā€œOld pubs of Gosportā€ with me?

1 Like