🍻 Old pubs of Hythe and Waterside

To be fair I do come from Hythe so will bask in my moment of glory lording it up over all the other gobshites on her before being pulled back down to my rightful place below @Fatso

…shit, there are some things you can’t just unthink (shudders) :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

Nothing wrong with coming from Hythe.

1 Like

Is that a euphemism?

3 Likes

It’s the going back that’s the problem.

Those that never left don’t see it that way.

The past is a different country.

1 Like

Couldnt agree more.
The Langley Tavern public bar are still moaning about beer going upto 50p a pint.

2 Likes

And The Hampshire Yeoman is now a Sainsbury’s Local

2 Likes

Yes I know, its disconcerting standing at the crisp aisle and thinking I should be ordering a pint whilst I am stood here.

1 Like

The Holbury Tavern is now a Co-op

1 Like

Its sad how can they hold a Waterside darts Pool or crib league when all that is left is the Langley, Blackfield British Legion, The forest home, The Falcon?, the Jolly Sailor, The Nellie, What ever the jester is called these days, And the Trav’s.

1 Like

Isn’t The Jester called The Glen now?
The Old Mill is still in business

1 Like

Is the Fountain Court still going or has that closed as well?
The Heath and The pub at Hill top are still there as well

1 Like

The Fountain Court has been demolished, I think. The Heath and the Royal Oak at Hill Top are still there. The Jolly Sailor has re-opened recently.

1 Like

I think Fountain Court is still there.

The Croft has been turned into a Tesco Express though. Sad times indeed, but you can pick up a 4 pack more quickly than you could ever get served tbh.

2 Likes

Cheers @saintbletch

Ok, I’ll raise you all with The Drummond…now expensive flats :frowning:

Played football (and shin kicking) against The Croft in the Sunday league back in the 70’s.

1 Like

I have very little knowledge of that side of the water but the transport links are shite, the roads full of allegros and Totton is seen as Vegas, that tells me enough.

Theres a couple of wine bars in Hythe that have opened the snooker club has gone. whats the bar next to Waitrose called?
and the grotty Malt and Hops was still there.

1 Like

@Cobham-Saint is correct, the Fountain Court is still in business.
There’s a new one called Ebenezers in Hythe. Not been but my cousin reckons it is OK.
The Bridge Tavern at Ipers Bridge is gone and is The Waterside Tavern/Splashes

1 Like

The one next to Waitrose is a restaurant called seashells - the upstairs bit is. Downstairs is a bookies.

https://www.closedpubs.co.uk/hampshire/hythe.html

1 Like