💸 👼 No white saviours

Listened to LBC this morning with some interesting chat on this. A lot of people calling to say that charity from comic relief etc is not only not appreciated, but it is also harmful to Africa. Comic relief today announced they would not be sending celebrities to make videos. David Lammy has obviously had a lot to say on the matter.

The obvious initial response is to say “well I won’t be giving any more money you do not want then”. Do those complaining have a point or is are they being ungrateful?

I can understand the “harmful” bit as they start to rely too much on charity rather than help themselves.

Who is saying that it is not appreciated though? And not appreciated by whom?

Not that at all Bob. They are not saying they will rely on it, that they do not need it at all and white people are only doing it to ease guilt about slavery and colonial crimes of the past.

Who were the people calling in? Those in Africa that had received money or those in Africa that received nothing? Or those that do not even live over there?

Fuck that…haven’t given that a second thought, I don’t feel I’m assauging the sins of my forefathers, never have and never will do. I’ll give to whoever’s plight moves me, no matter where they are, what colour, whatever religion.

If they can’t deal with that, that’s their problem.

2 Likes

I think the main problem is that it was never the public’s problem to sort out, bar creating the political pressure to assist with the structural problems of the continent.

The problem there is political will, or lack of it. This is driven by several factors, but it’s worth noting that we’ve had public calls for foreign aid budgets to be reduced. Thanks to the finger-pointing that goes on whenever our domestic public service is defunded, it’s a politically toxic suggestion.

If you look at most countries that have successfully moved from developing to developed, it isn’t aid that has got them there. It’s trade, and without wanting to lay every problem at the feet of the EU, its existence means that Africa’s nearest trading partners are prohibitively expensive to trade with.

In short, this isn’t a problem for the likes of Bob Geldof to sort out. Even his clumsy attempts to make a difference are a bit dodgy.

Tonight, thank God it’s them instead of you

Basically sums up why more elegant and lasting solutions are required.

David Lammy is a prick of the highest order, he could open a box of cornflakes and find some thing to be outraged at

Comic relief have done a huge amount of good, a lot of what they do is sustainable - ie helping people set up businesses to be able to fend for themselves. And who doesn’t appreciate a mosquito net.

having the celebs there raises the profile. It helps get joe public to pony up a few quid more. How the fuck is this a bad thing.

David Lammy and his outrage brigade can kiss my arse

Respectfully these people are talking shit

It’s a business,and is very lucrative for some. Last year comic relief paid 1.3 million in redundancy payments as part of the ‘restructure of the organization’. Is this really what people donated for?

2 Likes

There seemed to be two type of contributors, 1) non white people who were saying thank god someone has finally said what we were all thinking/Africans saying we need to stop giving money and start apologising.

1. (I guess white people) calling in to say they will never give money again if it is not appreciated and Lammy et al can stick it up their bollox.

Repeat for an hour.

Was on bbc radio London tonight as well. Same kind of phone in.

Where did the British get the slaves from, where did they come from and from whom?

I don’t get it

What do I have to apologise for?

Famine? Ebola? Malaria?

If I can spare a couple of quid which could buy a mosquito net or fund an inoculation etc why shouldn’t I help? Getting flak for doing so is hardly going encourage people to do more. It is more likely going to make them pull up the ladder and slam the trap door.

It’s daft and self defeating

3 Likes

I walk around our most impressive cities and know that many of them were built on imperialism, slavery and murder.

There is also no doubt that we both benefit from things done long in the past that ensured British hegemony for a couple of hundred years, including a lot of the bad shit. Our city’s most famous monument is a testament to bad shit. It’s got arrow slits, presumably because bad shit went on outside, and some of the wall wankers needed to be shot.

I acknowledge all that, but I wasn’t there. As I said in my first post on the subject, there is a role for the public and a role for the state. I’d be more than happy for us to apologise as a state for some of the things the state has done, and to my reckoning, we already have on a lot of this stuff.

1 Like

Name me a nation without some horrific actions and I’ll name you the time of when the unicorn rainbow appears.

Lets start with Andorra then

Time and place please Baz

Andorra isn’t a nation, neutral in the war and turned a blind eye to the nazis.

Well it is independent of any other country so technically a nation in it’s own right.

and since when has being neutral been an horrific act?

1 Like

Its not a nation its a principality.

“Comic Relief will stop sending celebrities abroad in wake of ‘white saviour’ racism row, Richard Curtis tells MPs”

Richard Curtis practically apologising for fundraising or at least making videos of white people helping in Africa to raise funds.

Other side of the story - “White saviours’ belong in the 1980s. Let’s keep them there.”