:labour: New Old Labour in trouble

No idea.

1 Like

Yes or no Pap and SOS, is acceptable for the Labour Party? A yes or a no, nothing more.

When Isrealis themselves can’t agree whether Israel is a religeous or secular state how do you define anti-Semitism?

Someone who criticises the actions and edicts of Israel?

Someone who criticises the actions and edicts of Jewish people within the state of Israel?

Someone who criticises the actions and edicts of Jewish people?

Obviously the last one is racist but to my eyes the other two are the areas that the “pro-Isaeli Lobby” are using as a tool to silence open debate.

5 Likes

Is a holocaust denier and one who brushes over that fact and supports them an anti-Semite?

Could well be, similiar to Islamophobia, the hard left are masters of closing down debate using that card as other are.

Check (both) your arse cheeks, Goat.

1 Like

Barry, have yoo looked further into that BBC article than the title?

As I understand ir, 39 MPs are calling for the suspension of Christioe Shawcroft because she supported a colleague that had been suspended for sharing a Facebook post about the holocaust being a hoax. He says he posted without comment it for the purposes of debate.

You’d say “well, he would say that, wouldn’t he?”.

For me, there are a number of things going on here. First off, retweets and shares do not imply endorsement. Many social media peeps explicitly say this in their bio. In other cases, such as a black tweeter retweeting racist abuse, it’s obvious that endorsement in not implied.

Shawcroft was writing in support of a suspended colleague. She’ll know better than I where the accused was coming from. It also really shouldn’t be too hard to check out this chap’s social media history, and work out whether he is a raging anti-semite or not. He’ll have made other posts if he is. The BBC article doesn’t mention anything else.

In answer to your question, I see nothing wrong in what Shawcroft has done. It isn’t even proven that the accused is guilty. There are no laws in this country governing what you can say about history. If the bloke is a genuine anti-semite, he should not be in the Labour Party.

I will hold your view and give it back to at an appropriate time, context is an issue on the internet I’ll grant you but this doesn’t appear to be that or that reason would have been given, there is an issue in the party its acknowledged eventually and you need to acknowledge or you’ll forever be swimming against the tide.

The party has issues that were always going to bubble to the surface, shortlists, why Muslim men have stopped Muslim women from becoming councillors etc etc.

The laughable identity of we’re Labour above all else simply isn’t true, poltics and religion go hand in hand for some.

You say at the end of your last post

“If he is a genuine anti-Semite he shouldn’t be in the party”

Do you mean he shouldn’t have joined, he should be expelled, what exactly?

If he is a genuine anti-semite…

He shouldn’t have joined. Labour is a party that is famous for standing up for minorities.

He wouldn’t have been able to get a platform for those views at CLP meetings if he had aired them once, and if he had aired racist views frequently he’d have been expelled long before he ever got the chance to be elected as a councillor.

I’ve encountered people with xenophobic and/or racist attitudes. They typically hate Labour, loath Corbyn. It just doesn’t track that Corbyn’s party would be a magnet for racists. I’m going from my definition, of course.

So you think regardless of what has been in the papers and media that out of 300,000 people in a group there wouldn’t be an anti-Semite?

Labour has acknowledged there is a problem, the PARTY! And you can’t seem to say there even possibly could be, amazing Pap, this may be your finest moment yet.

Innocent till proven guilty and fair trial, are the only things that come to mind reading that.

Long yes or no, as per.

As an aside, I think we really need to get this into perspective. This is a week in which a mosque was firebombed in Germany, where the official opposition is now the AfD. That is a real problem.

Barry’s slam dunk is a BBC article full of allegations based on a shared social media post.

These incidents are orders of magnitude different, and if we try to solve our worst problems first, there are far more pressing examples of racial targeting to get under control.

Personally, I think coverage of the mosque bombing, and the analysis of what’s going on in Germany would have been a much better use of the media’s time than a politically motivated amplification of something far less important.

I find this tweet from Lord Sugar a little disappointing…

https://twitter.com/Lord_Sugar/status/979737718660980736

@saintbletch I saw that tweet and think it’s appalling. I hope there are many reports to Twitter about it.

Twitter is a really nasty little bullying place these days.

3 Likes

Address issues but don’t use others as a distraction or divertion, we’re smarter than that, why do you think there isn’y much coverage of the issues in Germany? Agendas of the elite, now why are AfD the 2nd largest? Issues we can’t discuss or show, we all know this.

Sugar is a fucking dick.

Another example of Sotonians’ ingrained anti-Semitism.

1 Like

Recent polling of party members.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/9985