Most Excellent Movie Scores

Henry V–the Kenneth Branagh version.

I would suggest my film knowledge is more mainstream most of the above, but the ‘Glasgow love theme’ written for love actually is a tune that gets me every time. I am definitly a sucker for a ‘clean and simple’ composition for the piano. Writing any sort of tune I think is a real art form, to make something that so encompasses a mood / emotion such as that is pure magic.

Can’t really recommend the whole soundtrack tho, bit too Spicebabes for me.

Bernard Herrmann, a classical background but really understood how to score for movies.

He really disliked Scorsese’s Taxi Driver as a movie but the soundtrack is perfect.

Yann Tiersen’s Amelie is pretty much perfect too

2 Likes

Jonny Greenwood, that one with the floppy hair from Radiohead

Drive

Clockwork Orange

Jon Hopkins - Monsters

John Carpenter - The Fog

Daft Punk - Tron Soundtrack

3 Likes

Love the Drive soundtrack

1 Like
2 Likes

Surprised this one hasn’t featured (apologies if it has and I missed it!!)

Always springs to mind when I set off to try and break the 100m 4 minute barrier :cool:

Nor this one … which has to be The Bestest Ever.

I remember all the hype about the film, but too young to pass as an 18(16?) year old to watch it. Loads of shops in town were playing Tubular Bells as background music. After purchasing it we went back to my mates house in the evening, chilling over a few beers marvelling at how one man had played so many instruments and quietly soaking it all in, when suddenly about 20 mins in a voice booms out of the speakers … “On Grand Piano …”. Christ we collectively nearly shat ourselves it was so unexpected and scary!!

One more, but this has been alluded to by Owly Floyd and Bazza …

1 Like

Metallica play this before each of their sets.

Beyond the Black Rainbow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huZ-AiY4jnM

1 Like

Suspiria

1 Like

Surprised nobody has mentioned Frozen.

That’s had an impact on an entire generation.

In a similar vein, The Wizard of Oz, West Side Story, South Pacific, and of course THE GREATEST MOVIE SOUNDTRACK EVER

Stayin’ Alive…

Originally posted by @ericofarabia

Nor this one … which has to be The Bestest Ever.

I remember all the hype about the film, but too young to pass as an 18(16?) year old to watch it. Loads of shops in town were playing Tubular Bells as background music. After purchasing it we went back to my mates house in the evening, chilling over a few beers marvelling at how one man had played so many instruments and quietly soaking it all in, when suddenly about 20 mins in a voice booms out of the speakers … “On Grand Piano …”. Christ we collectively nearly shat ourselves it was so unexpected and scary!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QeRlLZNIUI

Watched The Exorcist on a VHS rental when I was 12. Holy shit it scared the hell out of me! I was used to Hammer Horror type movies at this point. Doctor Who was still a bit unsettling then tbh

Years later it was re-released at the cinema when I was at Film School, and I kept banging on about this incredible film. The effects though just looked a bit rubbish. The soundtrack is still great. The sound design is what makes it though. Friedkin recorded the sound of pigs being slaughtered etc.

Low budget movie directed by Richard Ayoade. It’s really great, in my opinion. He directed a few Arctic Monkeys promos.

Aimee Mann