Mark Hughes confirmed as First Team Manager

They did

On Twitter

HTH

Anyone else feel surprisingly optimistic and happy about the appointment??

No. Me neither.

2 Likes

Oh well. As many have pointed out, this is not a particularly exciting appointment but at least the club has done something, because we were limping towards the Championship. I genuinely didn’t feel like we would win another game under Pellegrino so any change is worth a try. It’s also better than an internal appointment of a caretaker manager in my opinion.

I think he’ll give us a fighting chance.

They did

On Twitter

https://twitter.com/SouthamptonFC/status/974050669475774467

HTH

delighted -fuck off, more like relieved that they found someone that we have heard off to take on this mess.

2 Likes

fucking Mark Hughes

FFS

Ahhhh…at last, the nearest we’ll get to a ringing endorsement for a new Saints manager from Baz. :lou_lol:

Just hope he doesnt dismiss the Cup in desparate search for his staying up bonus.

In the original Pellegrino Out thread I posted way back last year that the only reason I was not part of the Pitch Fork brigade was that I could not see any viable (or available) alternative.

So now he is gone.

And I am sorry, but a lot of our fans are a bunch of utter two faced shits. Those who regaled Liverpool or Everton fans on Twitter about their sense of entitlement or arrogance are the same ones swearing and saying the board has no ambition because we did not get Hiddink or Ancelotti in.

I mean SERIOUSLY?

Why the flying fvck would ANY big name big reputation manager accept a short term likely to fail offer from us? “they will enhance their reputation” they cry. “They will earn a big pay check” they argue.

Fvck OFF. They are already millionaires with a global reputation. They do NOT need money and the ONLY thing that could happen by coming to us with our fixture list is FAILURE.

We the fans wanted MoPe out - as did half the players by the sound of the silence today.

But there IS no future UNLESS we win TWO matches and draw 2 out of our remaining 8.

NOTHING else matters.

Oh bring in Bert van Market they cry. Someone who is NOT watching Premier League games every week, will have NO fvcking idea how useles Carrillo is or how unfit Gabbi is? Who will see FF in training and put him straight back into the side and who will play his European Tiki Puka Puka football when we need some fvcking GRIT and PASSION.

I honestly despair about our fans at times.

I do NOT like Hughes as a manager, but he really was the only choice.

HOPEFULLY he will stay after the end of the season, bringing some new European Hotshot MP clone into the fold and having taken over from Les Excel Spreadsheet Reed as DoF Tech Director or tea Lady whatevwer that idiot does these days

5 Likes

Tigger is neither happy or impressed…

5 Likes

Well you are the only one! (That’s the wonderful thing about Tiggers, apparently!)

3 Likes

Football Management is Simples

If he does half as well as Strachan, who was met with a hail of WTF reactions too, then I will be very happy. Short memories people.

6 Likes

Upvoted as hopefully sarcasm!

First (and unexpected) job for Sparky.

Select our first choice keeper…

Infographic: WhoScored

Was VERY surprised at that Stat

Source

I get the feeling that the club really wanted to stick with Pellegrino to the end of the season at least but had no choice after the Newcastle game. It would be interesting to know if Gao suggested that a change now would be good. Anyway, we now how Hughes who will either keep us up and get us to Wmbley or won’t. He cant lose as Les will get all the grief anyway. I do feel sorry for Pellegrino. After the Newcastle game he looked like a man who had just been told his wife has been cheating on him with the first team squad, the U23s and some of the under 11’s too. The team has let him down big time but he still had the class not to go for them in a Barry style rant. All he could do was a meek comment about some of them giving up. Some of them gave up under Puel and havent bothered since! I wish him well for the future. Les should have put him out of his misery after Christmas but it is was it is and at least we have the change we have wanted, even if it is underwhelming. One of the best times I have had as a Saints supporter was during The Great Escape season (I still wear the t-shirt occasionally). That was probably because we stayed up though! Still, we cant say that life is ever boring supporting SFC and we are in for a full blown roller coaster ride!

Repeat ad infinitum - Mark Hughes’ Red And White Army, Mark Hughes’ Read And White Army…

2 Likes

Yes, slightly alcohol fuelled optimism last night.

Ticket £20
Trains - not a hope in hell from Poole
Driving - 4.5 hours minimum journey time, more like 6

Then we have the return of the Beast from the East/Pest from the West on Sunday so that’ll fuck all transport up.

I think I’ll pass.

1 Like

Just one comment…you despair about our fans only “at times”?? :lou_eyes_to_sky:

3 Likes
2 Likes

Oh…

4 Likes

We will probably beat Wigan if he plays our ‘second team’, on the basis that Gabbiadini and Boufal don’t get in the first team these days.

Give Redmond a well earned rest I say. He must be knackered after all those goals, assists and sprints to the byline…

1 Like

I’ve never liked Sparky - he’s always come across as a bit of a twat to me - but I just watched his first interview for Saints and he certainly says all the right things. He even looked like he might have a bit of personality, which isn’t something I’ve really credited to him before.

Overall I’m feeling quite positive now, if he can get some of our ‘big names’ to actually be ‘big players’.

Wigan 0, Saints 4!

4 Likes