:efl: :mancityfc: Manchester City v Saints :saints: (Carabao Cup 4th Round)

Have a look at our players, fuck me.

Goalkeeper for the Cup Match would have been McCarthy even if Gunn had had a World Class performance and kept a clean sheet on Friday.
Despite his crocodile tears apology, I’d be surprised if Hojberg keeps his captaincy or starting place. For me he was the most disappointing player on Fri … I expected JWP to be cack, but Hoj’s lack of commitment in his tackles or tracking players back was diabolical, not to mention as captain not talking to players like Valery and reminding them what they are supposed to be doing and where they should be. Long and Adams up front, Ings brought on for the penalty shoot out :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Kevin Keegan :stuck_out_tongue:

Was Højbjerg that bad? Thought more of him. Shame to hear that and as Captain particularly worrying.

I’d have him in the team now over Ward-Prowse :lou_wink_2:

PEH has been pretty poor all season.

1 Like

Yeah, but Eric’s assessment is damning for a captain and though he’s been poor i was hoping it was just form.
This suggests a whole lot more going on.
A question, what was your initial thought about Bertrand?

Another thought.
Take Højbjerg out and the team naturally changes(he’s slow), so play Slattery.
We don’t have a lot to lose trying.

It’s easier if I tell you who I thought DID show some effort and commitment. Ings and Redmond ran about quite a lot…

I think there’s a contract situation in play here with PEH. Running it down or has a move lined up for next summer. The club came out and said something along the lines of there being a lot of interest in him. So it’s either gone to his head or he has been tapped up. I don’t have any other insight.

Bertrand? I didn’t see much behind it. Just mistimed and trying to leave a mark on the opposition who was breaking. I didn’t see anything to read in to. Why?

Last couple of times i’ve seen Redmond i thought he was poor, so i hope your opinion isn’t just based on overall shitness.
If what you say is correct, yeah dropped indefinitely.
Bertrand, I asked because it was early and the only single view i have seen looked like he wanted to go straight through the person, which asked a question.
As i say, only seen it once from a shit view.

I didn’t say he played well, just that he didn’t look as if he wasn’t trying like almost everybody else!

Just a feeling with PEH. I think he was good enough last season to have been given a new deal like Redmond, who we signed in the same summer. Both on five year deals. He dodged a question about it at the fans forum too. So with 18 months left I have a feeling he has informed the club he wants to give us one more season and then leave. Perhaps why it appears he isn’t really up for the fight. Maybe he has a ‘gentleman’s agreement’ like some of those who have left before him.

Your take on it is probably about right.
Get rid then, which is a shame as i had hopes he’d be a bit more loyal.
Still think Bertrand is a problem that we need rid of.

In the games I’ve been at this season (which, thankfully, doesn’t include Friday’s débacle) I’d have to say that Hojbjerg has looked horribly short of form. I wouldn’t say, though, that he’s looked as if he simply wasn’t trying. The game has pretty much passed him by at times (massively so against Chelsea, for example), but he’s not been wanting in terms of effort or commitment.

Now, it’s entirely possible that he’s expressed a desire to leave the club. But if they’ve simply acquiesced, why continue with him as captain, a position that means it’s very hard to drop him? That to me would make no sense. Nor am I convinced by the “gentlemen’s agreement” suggestion - to the best of my knowledge, only Morgan Schneiderlin had any such agreement, and that was just a verbal arrangement with Cortese, which ended with the latter’s departure. Lemina has said that he told the club he wouldn’t be here more than two years, but that’s talk and nothing more.

I suspect that the issue with Hojbjerg is one of form; he plays because he’s the captain, probably in the hope that he’ll play himself back into form. This can’t continue indefinitely though - if his form doesn’t pick up pdq he needs to be dropped.

2 Likes

Because he isn’t a prima donna and hasn’t fallen out with anybody I think he has retained the armband.

I could be wrong but that’s just my feeling about the situation. I cannot explain it any other way at the moment.

I’m ready For the game

I went to Costco and bought the biggest pot of lube they had

2 Likes

Sotonians, please can we keep discussions on match threads on the subject of the match - perhaps include technical criticisms/frustrations of players/tactics from the previous matches.

Whinging about the ownership, commercial policy or previous transfer policy over and over again or simply lamenting that our players are not good enough - over and over again adds little to the discussion and infuriates many posters.

There are numerous other threads where those things can be discussed.

If you see a post anywhere on this site that you believe is off topic - hit the flag…

Then select the “It’s off topic” option followed by the Flag Post button…

The mods will be notified and they will then step in with an appropriate response.

Twatism, of all sorts and on all subjects, will be the death of this site. The site has very smart features that will make the site better for others. It just requires you to flag posts.

PLEASE FLAG ANY POST THAT YOU BELIEVE IS HELPING THIS SITE’S SLOW DEATH.

This is not a harsh thing to do to other posters. It’s a helpful thing that lets them know where the boundaries are.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of twatism is that good people do nothing.

2 Likes

The above post mentioned nothing about the Man City match day thread where i think we will do better than the last game

1 Like

Then flag it

I did :grin:

1 Like