šŸ„³ šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§ Lovely Jubilee?

Tell me Barry, are you a Christian? If not, do you believe in any god of any sort?

No, no God has met me, Iā€™m jealous of people who have faith, you?

I have no faith whatsoever, nor any jealousy of those who do. Do you think it possible to have a monarchy without a theistic underpinning? If so, then how?

3 Likes

Iā€™m jealous, what a wonderful World it would be if you thought you were going to a better place or a place earned. theistic underpinning? Go on, the split happened 500 years ago, the monarchy have no real power, republicans may answer differently but the monarchy are totally symbolic in all in reality.
If you genuinely think the monarchy and religion in England are centrally entwined then please correct me.

Well, your Queen is the appointed head of the Church of England - Am I wrong on this point Barry? :man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Indeed she is but what power does she have?

But we totally digress from the point I was making that faith and politics arenā€™t combined closely anymore, correct me if Iā€™m wrong, Iā€™m not but please do and Iā€™ll apologise. I genuinely chuckled at theistic underpinning, the reformation did away with that, it smashed that.

Good grief - As I said earlier:

I genuinely have concerns about why you feel the need to create division on this tiny site - all of the time.

Goodnight :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

The Queen appoints all Archbishops, Bishops, and Deacons in the CoE on the advice of the Prime Minister. Seems a pretty cosy relationship between politics and religion to me.

4 Likes

I think the very premise of Kings and Queens is being ordained by God, and it applies to the head of the Anglican faith in particular.

1 Like

True, although to be fair to Baz I think he was meaning politics and religion being intertwined in a practical sense rather than the ā€œmoralā€ foundations.

Weā€™re also the only country in the world other than the Islamic Republic of Iran to have priests sitting in our legislative chambers.

This is the point that I was trying to make. Whether or not our monarch has any actual power isnā€™t the point - he or she does have massive wealth and privilege though. Whence does this derive? The grace of god - dei gratia and all that.

Itā€™s for this reason that I struggle to see how atheism and support for the monarchy (well, any monarchy) can be compatible. If you donā€™t believe in any gods, then how can you accept the position of a monarch?

2 Likes

Our road is closing

There is a committee

They have had planning meetings (which I boycotted) although given the state the Ayatollah came back in last time I think this an excuse to drink rose

I have declared myself out of the planning - just give me a job and leave me alone

So I got road signs - what fucking ball ache that turned out to be.

1 Like

Because the status quo is good for the country and we donā€™t have many totems in the UK, the monarchy for the main are one of the few of them.
They donā€™t have any political power itā€™s purely symbolic, when has the monarch gone against parliament? I agree on religious people being automatically appointed in the lords but since has that been democratic? Iā€™d scrap the lords straight away and have a second chamber el pronto.
We had a republic before which was a really interesting part of our history, it didnā€™t last long. Republics are simply a way of politicians getting bigger limousines.

But how does a monarch get to be a monarch? Are they special people, better in some way than the rest of us? Precious little indication that this is the case; well, none at all in fact. Itā€™s down to whose vagina they pop out of, and the only way that particular vagina gets to be so special is because god says so.

As I said previously, Iā€™m not talking about political power here, or about the House of Lords either. But if republics are a way of politicians getting bigger limos, then our monarchy is a way of mediocrities living lives of massive wealth and privilege, simply by dint of their birth.

I would say that for most people born into elites, thatā€™s mostly the same. Better quality of education, justice, etc. Less likely to get caught and less likely to receive harsh sentences. But they are prosecutable in courts of law.

The interesting thing about the Queen is that she isnā€™t subject to law, and cannot legally be tried for any crime.

Which does make her look a bit lazy. Sheā€™s been on the throne for longer than any other monarch, the country has been through loads of recession.

With her unique power, youā€™d think she could hold up a couple of sub post-offices with a sawn-off shotgun and distribute the takings to the less wealthy. But no.

1 Like

Basically the biggest bully got to be monach

3 Likes

Iā€™ve recently received a message through the ether to instigate a mystically ordained religious group. Itā€™s called ā€œThe New Movement of Spiritual Accountancyā€

In an uncanny twist of fate, it is I who has been proclaimed ā€œGrand Wizardā€. If youā€™re wealthy and would like to join our movement please donate to our Spiritual Bank Account at www.get-your-enlightenment-here.com

Just a small monthly payment of Ā£50 will open the gates to the ā€œWord of The Wizardā€

2 Likes

Might want to rethink the title, this guy could sueā€¦

1 Like

Sorta related.