Kodi media streaming devices

This isn’t as much a problem as I first thought, we have a tv in the kitchen as such and I am 10 metres or so away in the kitchen itself, on the 42" you don’t notice, in the lounge I don’t bother as I have a 55" and it looks shite.

Might be worth subscribing to a vpn service … that should get round the new legislation … I think anyway, tho’ I’d be interested in Bob or Paps thoughts on this.

What is the new legislation?

It’s a reasonably limited order. To the extent of blocking access to ‘Target Servers’ for the duration of live premier league games.

The servers to be blocked are apparently those found to be streaming live football content. I wonder if this will extend to VPN servers…

The list of servers to be blocked is confidential as is one of the criteria used to select them. The other 2 criteria are “First, FAPL and its contractor must reasonably believe that the server has the sole or predominant purpose of enabling or facilitating access to infringing streams of Premier League match footage. Secondly, FAPL and its contractor must not know or have reason to believe that the server is being used for any other substantial purpose.”

As VPNs have uses other than watching the football they shouldn’t be included. So, circumvention shouldn’t be too difficult. I would never stream live content but I don’t think too badly of those who do considering the poor quality and insane price of subscription TV.

There is no new legislation, just a decision in a case.

So, does that give them the authority to arbitrarily block access to whatever sites they like? You’d think they’d address the reasons why people use streaming sites in the first place…

My SM subs up for renewal this week and I was thinking of upgrading to Ultimate Mania … Does anyone use it and can tell me what extras you get compared to the normal SM package

I’ve had VPN for years from a commercial provider. It’s still possibly an effective means of a bit of internet privacy, and it certainly can help with the geoblocked sites. However, providers are getting wise on the older VPN providers, and tbh, it really won’t take them long to get around to blocking the new ones. It’s my view that Netflix were just flat out ignoring it, because it should be a very easy thing to detect.

They’d need to look for two things. Common source IP locations, the VPN access points people all go out from. Also, fast travellers. People that travel between countries faster than is humanly possible :lou_wink_2:

Those source locations aren’t difficult to find. All anyone combating VPN needs to do is sign up to all the providers, record their IP addresses, adding them to a ban list. My personal view is that there was no political will to do this before, and now there is.

1 Like

This is what worries me. The ISPs in the recent case appear happy to fulfil the server block. The current order won’t permit blocking VPN servers and I can’t see current legislation permitting an order that does require this. But I wonder how long it will be before legislation is introduced to ban VPNs.

It would be an incredibly easy sell. “Yeah, we need to ban VPNs cos terrorism”.

There will always be another way.

1 Like

Well, one of the greatest misapplications of the definite article is the Internet.

An internet is just a network of networks. The internet mightn’t necessarily be the only game in town.

Surely you would be better off asking Cynthia Paine this question or that tart that Frank Bough used to use ?

2 Likes

Yessss … my hunch was right !!

With Chutters not being around much, it was a three horse race to the obvious ‘S&M snigger snigger’ comeback … Cob, Fats or yourself.

But my money was always on Philly Saint to be first to the post :lou_sunglasses:

Keep up the good work :lou_lol: … oh and I stuck to the SM in the end.

2 Likes

Only due to the 8 hour time difference and as I am at work have nothing better to do :lou_lol:

Plus I want to see if anybody but us old farts get the Cynthia Paine and Frank Bough references?

@pap admits to using the Dark Web then.

What have we let ourselves in for linking our IP thingys to his SM whatsit?

Oh and Cynthia Pain? SRSLY?

Surely the modern standard to aspire to is Mistress Felicia?

Sorry Steve I missed your post.

Must try harder…phnnnnarrrr phnnnarr

:lou_is_a_flirt:

2nd weekend of the crackdown.

Actions spreading with huge fines for selling Kodi boxes. Looks like EPL and Authorities have started scratching the surface

Whoever uses kodi as a stream source for sports is desperate and not doing it right, openbox and others for sports, kodi for movies.

I think they mean loaded kodi boxes, you can’t stop selling a device that can use kodi.

Openbox is too much of a faff IMHO, sports aren’t in HD as they haven’t broken the encryption and it appears that you have to manually update the “cracking” every so often otherwise you lose eveything.

Lots of complaints of people with 1 year “gift crads” losing their stuff after a couple of months.

Also Openbox isn’t portable so you can’t watch sports on your tablet in the pub for example. So I wouldn’t say people who use Kodi for Sports are desperate more they prefer the convenience.

1 Like

Ccams are more reliable than a kodi stream for sure, yes you can lose the line but email them and they’ll send you another, kodi isn’t going away and I v’ve said before Sky and all the rest simply have to look at a different way of getting revenue streams ie free with a shitload of adverts or ad free tv.

Paying subscription that will always be ripped is broken and not fit fir purpose.

As for detection, when was the last prosecution on a private household?

It would cost them millions and even then they’d have to prove it and is streaming illegal anyway? That one is open.